New Amsterdam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doozer61

Blue Crack Addict
We don't watch much on Fox but since there isn't anything else on, we gave this a try the other night.

It's regular time slot will be on Mondays.

Here is the blurb from the Fox website:

"NEW AMSTERDAM centers on a brilliant and enigmatic New York homicide detective unlike any other. And he has a profound secret -- he is immortal.

In 1642, JOHN AMSTERDAM (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), then a Dutch solider in the colony of New Amsterdam – later to become New York City -- stepped in front of a sword to save the life of a Native American girl during a massacre of her indigenous tribe. The girl in turn rescued Amsterdam, weaving an ancient spell that conferred immortality upon him. Amsterdam will not age, she told him, until he finds his one true love. Only then will he become whole and ready for mortality.

Amsterdam has found this to be a mixed blessing. Over the course of three centuries, he's experienced endless adventure and honed his many talents. But everyone Amsterdam meets must leave him in time; friends, lovers and children grow old and eventually die, while he remains young. The exhilaration of eternal life has given way to emotional isolation and loneliness; the blessing has become a curse. His sole confidant and current lifelong friend is the sage jazz club owner OMAR (Stephen Henderson), the keeper of Amsterdam's secret, as well as a few of his own.

Having witnessed its entire history from colonial outpost to mega-metropolis, John Amsterdam is the living embodiment of New York City. He and the island of Manhattan are joined -- part and parcel. Bringing to bear the unorthodox techniques and unique knowledge gained from his vast life experience, Amsterdam today is one of the NYPD's best homicide detectives, sparring with his vibrant, strong-willed partner EVA MARQUEZ (Zuleikha Robinson) as they solve difficult murder cases.

But when Amsterdam suffers and then recovers what appears to be a massive heart attack while chasing a suspect, and DR. SARA DILLANE (Alexie Gilmore) pronounces him dead in the ER, he realizes that the prophesy may have come true -- he felt the pain in his heart foretold so long ago. His soul mate must have been nearby. As he works to bring closure to the lives of others, Amsterdam also seeks closure of his own."

Anyone else catch it?

Back in London they'll take you to heart after a little while
Though I look right at home I still feel like an exile

Doozer61 said:
We don't watch much on Fox but since there isn't anything else on, we gave this a try the other night.

It's regular time slot will be on Mondays.

Anyone else catch it?

and how did you like it??

I have it on TIVO

Should I watch it?

Last edited:
Caron actually liked it more than I did. Of course, she loves anything with New York as the backdrop. As far as detective shows go, it's okay. They show flashbacks of his other lives so it's kind of interesting.

Give it a try, deep and let me know.

We actually saw this last night after seeing his interview with Fox...not bad, a little far out there but watchable...I'll give it a few more episodes...:up:

ps...he's in pursuit of the ER doctor wondering if she's "The One"....

Last edited:
I watched it last night, too.

and it was ok

some strong parts
and some parts, did not grab me

I have so many shows I am trying to follow

this may make my schedule

The second episode is actually better than the first and made me want to continue watching. From the previews for the 3rd ep, it looks like he and the doctor finally meet again. I hope Fox gives this show a chance, it's different than most of what's on and that's a good thing.

I really like the transitioning from era to era; I missed the first episode and started about 10 minutes into the second but it was a grabber...hopefully tonight's will keep me coming back... :yes:

Mr. BAW said:
I really like the transitioning from era to era; I missed the first episode and started about 10 minutes into the second but it was a grabber...hopefully tonight's will keep me coming back... :yes:

I only saw the first

it had some promise

but was not solid

I need to see the second episode

I usually give these new shows 3 or 4 to prove themselves

unless, they are just plain bad

speaking of bad

'breaking bad'

ended it's season last night

it is on AMC

they will reair the entire season

check your listings

it is good/ sometimes grest.

I remember hearing about this show but I have missed it thus far. Maybe I'll have to give it a look-see. I like that past-present era transitioning in film.

Back
Top Bottom