New Airport Security Procedures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/19/national/main533694.shtml

How To Pack To Avoid Air Delays

WASHINGTON, Dec. 19, 2002

The government will ramp up airport baggage screening during the holiday travel season. (AP)

Food items, like cheese or chocolate, can be mistaken by bomb-detection machines for explosives and generate a "false positive." TSA screeners will hand-search bags that register a positive reading.

(AP) The federal government is telling air travelers how to pack the bags they plan to check as it ramps up luggage screening during the holiday travel season.

James Loy, head of the Transportation Security Administration, traveled Thursday to Jacksonville, Fla., to tour the airport and announce the recommendations. Jacksonville's airport was among the first to install bomb-detection machines for baggage.

Loy said travelers should put toothbrushes and other personal belongings in plastic bags so screeners won't have to touch them. He said books should be spread out rather than stacked, and food and beverages are prohibited.

Food items, like cheese or chocolate, can be mistaken by bomb-detection machines for explosives and generate a "false positive." TSA screeners will hand-search bags that register a positive reading.

Among other recommendations and requirements:

Shoes should be packed last to make it easier for screeners to hand-search luggage.

Bags should be left unlocked so screeners won't have to force them open to search them by hand. Loy recommended that people use cable ties or zip ties, which can be purchased at hardware stores and cut off easily.

Don't put film in checked bags because screening equipment will damage it.

Leave gifts unwrapped. Screeners may unwrap those that aren't.

Put scissors, pocket knives and other sharp items in checked bags. They are prohibited from being carried on planes.

The TSA, created after the terrorist attacks, was given a Dec. 31 deadline by Congress to implement a program to screen all checked baggage for explosives. Lawmakers extended the deadline because some large airports weren't able to add SUV-sized bomb-detection machines to their existing bag management systems in time.

Installing the machines, which were in short supply, can require months of construction to shore up floors, add space and build power stations.

Still, the TSA believes the vast majority of the nation's 429 commercial airports will be able to screen all bags by Jan. 1, though not necessarily by machine, agency spokesman Brian Turmail said.

Some will be screened by bomb-sniffing dogs, others hand-searched or checked with wands that detect explosives residue. Some airports will use a system, known as "positive bag match," where a bag won't be loaded onto a plane unless the passenger it belongs to is aboard.

David Stempler, president of the Air Travelers Association, said bag screening will mean longer lines for some people. But, he said, the use of positive bag matching will alleviate those lines.

Steve van Beek, senior vice president of the Airports Council International-North America, an airport trade group, said he's concerned about liability for lost or stolen items.

"If something gets lost, what will the customer do?" van Beek said.

The TSA has a customer response center in Washington that people can call in case something is lost or stolen, Turmail said. The toll-free number is 866-289-9673.

haha, i am taking Greyhound home for Christmas this year. So instead of 12 hours in line at the airport, i get 12 hours in a bus!

:D

meegannie said:

Don't put film in checked bags because screening equipment will damage it.

:huh: I always do that. Fortunately, nothing was ever damaged.

Leave gifts unwrapped. Screeners may unwrap those that aren't.

:no: They're just boxes of S'mores and Rocky Road! I don't wanna unwrap them anymore. :rant:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
you can always buy your chocolate bar at the newstands after you clear security. ;)

:yes: My pre-flight routine always includes a visit to the newstand for a super size box of Red Hots, a large bottle of water and all the magazines I can fit in my carry-on.

Hihi

:wave:

Not to all travelers:

The silly little locks that you purchase to lock your bags really don't secure your bag very well. In fact, as an airline employee (and currently handling baggage), I can tell you that these locks quite often break off (I see them break off at least three times a day). I have also never seen any baggage handler open an bag and search through people stuff (unless the bag is vibrating - NO JOKE - and then it is more of a security issue - but is often only an electric razor). And yes, PLEASE DO NOT OVERPACK. If you don't like carrying it from the car into the terminal, imagine the people who have to deal with 50-150 of those bags, and their poor backs :wave: :wave: :wave:

As for the TSA thingy, we have them at our airport right now. If you are checking your bag, it may not get to its final destination unless you check in at least 1 1/2 hours in advance. YIKES! I would suggest packing light with a carry-on, and going through the intial TSA security screening at the checkpoint. Easiest way to travel.

:END RANT:

Re: Hihi

zonelistener said:
I have also never seen any baggage handler open an bag and search through people stuff

Maybe not in the USA, but this type of thing is routine in a number of countries. I've had multiple things stolen by airport employees who cut the locks. Slashing is also popular. There isn't really much you can do other than shrink wrap your stuff at the airport. It won't prevent stealing, but it'll make it a bit more difficult.

My wife had a set of tweazers confiscated last year at the Rochester, NY airport.

Several times I have been pulled aside to be scanned, and usually I am asked to sit down and remove my shoes which they run through the conveyor belt and they scan my socks and pants legs. I have seen them doing this to elderly ladies as well.

~U2Alabama

or you can adopt the lazy method and ship your luggage to your final destination. that is what i have done in the past. i have my co-workers to thank for this. of course this is expensive as hell and is 100% of time put on the company tab. :tongue:

but since i started traveling more over the past 2 years i have learned how to pack lighter and only take what i really need. i usually end up buying my tolietries when i get to my destination.

now this doesn't mean i don't get stop for random screenings. :| :mad: it is always nice to be running late for your flight after a meeting and have to try and hurry to make your flight to only be stopped and asked by the screeners to step aside, spill all of your belongings out and remove your shoes, lift your dress up so that they can 'properly' screen me! :mad: PERVS!!!!!
let me stop before i really go off a bitch rant.

all for safety! :scream:

Good point on he "Outside of America" thing. Yeah - I can't account for luggage handlers outside of MSP, little alone the country.

Even as an employee, I have been randomly selected soooo many times. It's always a pain. I go through the security EVERY day, and still occasionaly beep and have to be "wanded." One guy at work got "groped" in the name of security.

Back
Top Bottom