Never tired of it: Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:17 AM
Never tired of it: Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread

It has been a while since there was an appreciation thread of this great artist.

The more I listen to him, the more I like Springsteen and his songs. Reading about some of them gives me a new angle on how to look at them. Now that the new edition of the magazine Uncut has a top 40 of best Springsteen songs annotated with comments I'm even starting to like songs I didn't care that much for before.
Yes, even though he's written many great songs there are also I don't (didn't) care much for. But that's changing at the moment. Take Dancing In The Dark. IMO, that song has dated badly, with the synth line etc. His live renditions on the current tour are much better, but still, I didn't get that song. Until I read in the Uncut how bleak the song is and I suddenly started to hear and understand the lyrics. It's something that U2 and Springsteen have in common, creating songs with heavy lyrics but with upbeat music (A Day Without Me, In God's Country, Hungry Heart, Dancing In The Dark). For the Springsteen songs it only took me longer to understand.

It was also nice to read in that magazine about Atlantic City. A few of the artists who voted in the Springsteen Top 40 mentioned great lines from Springsteen songs. Strikingly, many recalled the same line in Atlantic City Everything dies baby that's a fact But maybe everything that dies someday comes back and said how great that line is. Which I will not contest as it is also my favourite line from that song. While the song is bleak, that line has some positivity in it, even though the optimism washes away in the remainder of the song.

Live, Springsteen is in a league with the best. At the moment U2 is still my favourite live band, but hearing Springsteen's concerts (especially from the Darkness On The Edge Of Town tour) I sometimes start to doubt. The conviction, the intensity and the fun! I especially like it when he starts to tell his stories before/during songs. My heart always makes an extra beat during Growin' Up, when Springsteen says that he/they/we have to settle for ROCK 'N ROLL! (OK, this may make only sense to those who have heard this song live, if not, get a bootleg with this song on it or Live 1975-1985)

Somebody on this forum said a few days ago that U2 were in danger of becoming ageing rock stars like Springsteen. He meant this as a negative statement, but Bruce's spirit will never grow old. And U2 becoming like Springsteen is a compliment, for both of them.

I'm just a prisoner of rock 'n roll!

Marty

P.S. Try to get the Uncut with the Springsteen article in it. It comes with a CD where artists cover Springsteen songs. In fact, there are 2 different version, each with a different cover CD (the contents of the magazine is the same). For Springsteen affecionados the magazine is easy to recognise as Bruce is on the cover of both versions.

Old 03-30-2003, 12:41 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:17 AM
I've gotta make a mental note to listen to more Bruce Springsteen.

Old 03-30-2003, 12:45 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:17 PM
bruce *d'l bruce songs right now*
Old 03-30-2003, 12:48 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Very nice post Marty

My love for Bruce and his music is so tough to put into words..just like U2, listening to his songs takes me to another place Just like you said about Atlantic City-even the bleakest songs have this strange sense of optimism, and maybe the same can be said about U2.

And Bruce live is just pure MAGIC

I am still looking for those Uncut mags-all I can find in the States is the one w/ David Bowie

As for "aging rock stars" ..if only all rock stars could have the integrity and talent that the "aging" Bruce has

Not to mention looking so good at the age of 53
Old 03-30-2003, 12:57 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I have to agree that Bruce is just one of those artists (like U2) that writes very meaningful songs and just has that spark live that has to be experienced.

I actually got away from Bruce during the 90's. Still dont care for alot of that material. But The Rising is a great album and seeing him live last summer brought me back to listening to Bruce. Hopefully he comes in or near Michigan this summer as I will definately be going to see him again.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:15 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I am still looking for those Uncut mags-all I can find in the States is the one w/ David Bowie
Just have a little bit more patience. Bruce is in the next issue, after David Bowie.

C ya!

Marty
Old 03-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, for those interested in live Bruce Springsteen recordings. If you go to http://www.joosse.org you can sign up for a tree. Currently they're going to spread a 1973 concert. Don't know about the sound quality, but it sounds interesting (a very early Bruce).

C ya!

Marty
Old 03-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #8
Kid A

Re: Never tired of it: Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

Somebody on this forum said a few days ago that U2 were in danger of becoming ageing rock stars like Springsteen. He meant this as a negative statement, but Bruce's spirit will never grow old. And U2 becoming like Springsteen is a compliment, for both of them.

that was me!

I was never a huge fan of Bruce, but he was a great artist -- had some great moments, I feel he's past his prime though in so far as recording new material. Still brilliant live though...
Old 03-30-2003, 01:35 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Never tired of it: Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
that was me!

I was never a huge fan of Bruce, but he was a great artist -- had some great moments, I feel he's past his prime though in so far as recording new material. Still brilliant live though...
Wanderer, I knew, but I didn't want to call names.

Anyway, past his prime? Two words: Worlds Apart

C ya!

Marty
Old 03-30-2003, 03:21 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Anyway, past his prime? Two words: Worlds Apart

Old 03-30-2003, 03:22 PM   #11
Purgatory

Local Time: 08:17 PM
well from what i read, bruce's lyrics are miles better than bono's if you compare both bands latest releases.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:28 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Never tired of it: Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread

Quote:
Take Dancing In The Dark. IMO, that song has dated badly, with the synth line etc. His live renditions on the current tour are much better, but still, I didn't get that song. Until I read in the Uncut how bleak the song is and I suddenly started to hear and understand the lyrics. It's something that U2 and Springsteen have in common, creating songs with heavy lyrics but with upbeat music (A Day Without Me, In God's Country, Hungry Heart, Dancing In The Dark). For the Springsteen songs it only took me longer to understand.

It was also nice to read in that magazine about Atlantic City. A few of the artists who voted in the Springsteen Top 40 mentioned great lines from Springsteen songs. Strikingly, many recalled the same line in Atlantic City Everything dies baby that's a fact But maybe everything that dies someday comes back and said how great that line is. Which I will not contest as it is also my favourite line from that song. While the song is bleak, that line has some positivity in it, even though the optimism washes away in the remainder of the song.

I'm just a prisoner of rock 'n roll!
Funny you should mention Dancing in the Dark. That was the first Springsteen song I ever heard, and I remember really relating to those lyrics. It's certainly not the "deepest" song he ever wrote, but when you are 17 years old, on the rebound from your first big romantic heartbreak, feeling like a loser and itching to get out of your dead-end hometown, it certainly hits home. Later on though I found the whole synth thing in the song incredibly annoying. I loved the more "raw" version they played in the CBS special last month.

You really nailed it when you said both Springsteen and U2 write very bleak lyrics, but there's almost always some hint of optimism. That's one of the reasons I'm such a big fan of both. They don't shy away from depicting the terrible things going on in the world, or within the human heart, but they refuse to give in to despair.

Looking at Bruce Springsteen these days gives me hope that U2 will still be going strong when they too are in their 50s.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:33 PM   #13
Purgatory

Local Time: 08:17 PM
im a firm believer, bonoshades, that u2 will be packing it in after this album.

this isnt JUST my own guessing here, this is a rumor i read in the where the album has no name thread.

and personally thats fine by me. ive come to realize that ive moved on, and i dont need anything more from u2. theyve given me so much great music from the 80s and 90s, i dont need more.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:33 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:17 PM
springsteen many thanks to headache in a suitcase for getting me to listen to the music

gickies, i'm kind of tired of hearing you say that every single time you get the chance. ok, so you're sick of u2, good for you. you've got your opinion, but do you have to keep telling us? this has to be the 4th time i've read that in two days--all in different threads...
Old 03-30-2003, 07:09 PM   #15
She's the One

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Marty,
I think I want to move to Holland just to be near you.

I've loved Springsteen since about 1979. I first got to see him on The River tour. That was it. I was hooked. The new version of Dancing in the Dark is incredible! I about fell over when I heard it live in Phoenix. (Actually, falling over was easy for me then because I was still unsteady on my feet after my surgery. But you get my point.)

I'm glad you appreciate his music and it means so much to you!

Also, thanks for the heads up on the new mag!