Never Going Back Again, Loserthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, honestly, without a PhD to back it up, not much. :lol: That's fine though, since I plan on becoming a professor, and to do that, you have to have a PhD anyway. Shockingly, the study of popular music and popular culture as a legitimate academic discipline (sort of, more like mashings of disciplines) is growing rapidly. More and more universities over here are offering rock, rap, and other popular music courses, in addition to popular culture courses. My university just happens to have a massive amount of these classes...enough to build my own major around. :D

Wow that actually sounds really interesting, if my school had that kind of program I'd probably consider at least getting a minor in it. :yes:

I know, it's awful. The discussions are great, because the class is called U.S. Campaigns and Elections, so it's interesting and all, but I just don't care much about the terminology or statistics and such.

Um, honestly, without a PhD to back it up, not much. :lol: That's fine though, since I plan on becoming a professor, and to do that, you have to have a PhD anyway. Shockingly, the study of popular music and popular culture as a legitimate academic discipline (sort of, more like mashings of disciplines) is growing rapidly. More and more universities over here are offering rock, rap, and other popular music courses, in addition to popular culture courses. My university just happens to have a massive amount of these classes...enough to build my own major around. :D

One of the classes I'm doing this semester is called Childhood Inequality it had the potential to be awful but turned out to be great; that made me happy lol

My degree is pretty useless without a masters too...well it's just not special enough. Without one it's just another business degree...

:yes: It was nice to get it out of the way. I really liked the Jim/Pam sequence at the end of the latest episode too. I was so disappointed that they were off for the whole episode, but that brought it all back.

Seriously, I could go on and on analyzing why it's such a great show...:reject:

That was sad and great at the same moment; you really have to love them as a couple

We'll probably get more office discussion in here then in the office thread :lol:

Wow that actually sounds really interesting, if my school had that kind of program I'd probably consider at least getting a minor in it. :yes:

Well, they actually don't...but we are allowed to make our own major, which is what I'm doing. It's a ton of work, you have to find professors to back the program and write a proposal to be approved by other faculty. It's worth it though. I'm doing exactly what I want to do, and I'm lucky enough to have a great professor who's advising and mentoring me through the whole thing.

One of the classes I'm doing this semester is called Childhood Inequality it had the potential to be awful but turned out to be great; that made me happy lol

My degree is pretty useless without a masters too...well it's just not special enough. Without one it's just another business degree...

So it goes...the state of higher education throughout the world. :lol:

That was sad and great at the same moment; you really have to love them as a couple

We'll probably get more office discussion in here then in the office thread :lol:

I know! They really do just make a great couple.

I think we already have. :lol:

Well, they actually don't...but we are allowed to make our own major, which is what I'm doing. It's a ton of work, you have to find professors to back the program and write a proposal to be approved by other faculty. It's worth it though. I'm doing exactly what I want to do, and I'm lucky enough to have a great professor who's advising and mentoring me through the whole thing.

:up: that sounds great.

So it goes...the state of higher education throughout the world. :lol:

I know! They really do just make a great couple.

I think we already have. :lol:

Yup everyone goes to college so now a college degree is as useless as a high school one....my dad didn't even finish secondary school and he earns tonnes so unfair!

They really do; they're just perfect for each other

That's because we just rock :wink:

Kelly was so funny in the first episode. I'd love to see more from her. :up:

I must say when Jan said Michael couldn't date Holly I was reminded of when Karen called Pam a bitch. Jan is a terrible, terrible person. :down:

Kelly can be really funny at times but she's in the background too much

I liked that Michael defied Jan for once at the end

Kelly was so funny in the first episode. I'd love to see more from her. :up:

I must say when Jan said Michael couldn't date Holly I was reminded of when Karen called Pam a bitch. Jan is a terrible, terrible person. :down:

Oh, I was so heartbroken, especially after Michael's reaction. You could tell that he was confused about why Jan would do that to him. But after he went against her right away, I was so happy for him! He's matured so much as a character over the past season or so.

That sounds so cool. :up:

Oh, I was so heartbroken, especially after Michael's reaction. You could tell that he was confused about why Jan would do that to him. But after he went against her right away, I was so happy for him! He's matured so much as a character over the past season or so.

When he was talking about how he didn't feel anything when he was holding the baby but felt something good when holding Holly, I had the biggest grin on my face. :cute:

Not really. I think there's always exceptions, but for the most part, no.

The only real chance you have is if you start your own business

When he was talking about how he didn't feel anything when he was holding the baby but felt something good when holding Holly, I had the biggest grin on my face. :cute:

I'm glad Michael is no longer just being annoying and stupid; you can actually relate to him a little now :up:

Aww, I know! I loved how he related it back to the baby, and that's how he made sense of it in his head. :heart:

What are some of the interesting things you've studied in those classes? :)

Wow, um, I'd have to say that a lot of the most interesting things I've learned have come from my own readings, but from the actual classes? I really love seeing how music empowers people, affect their lives, more cultural types of things. So, I took a class called Anthropology of Hip-Hop, which talked a lot about hip-hop's role as social commentary, and I plan on taking another course about rap. That one's about analyzing lyrics and such though.

At the same time, I love picking apart a song or album and getting the meanings out of it, both musical and lyrical. Then, you can tie that all back to cultural studies, which I guess is the focus of my studies. I have a weird mixed interest in musicology and cultural studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom