Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
in_the_aeroplane_over_the_sea_album_cover_copy.jpg

Is it genius? Is it garbage? Did it create "meh"?

Discuss.

Genius. Who the hell is going to argue with this? I've rarely heard anything this profound and emotional.

The people who wouldn't appreciate it wouldn't have heard of this anyway.

"The King of Carrot Flowers, Pt. I" is pure, unadulterated genius. The rest of the album, for me, has never elicited any more than the "meh" of which you spoke, lance. I've just never been able to understand why people hold it in such high esteem, try as I might (and I've been trying for years and years, now).

God damn, though..."Pt. I" has to be one of the greatest opening tracks I've ever heard. It's magnificent.

lazarus said:
Genius. Who the hell is going to argue with this? I've rarely heard anything this profound and emotional.

The people who wouldn't appreciate it wouldn't have heard of this anyway.

I listened to the entire album and found it particularly grating. Just could not get into it, I feel like a philistine.

I listened to it after hearing nothing but people raving about it over and over again.

I really liked one song, the name of which escapes me (I think it had Holland, 1945 in the title? Maybe that was the whole title.), but the rest of it did nothing for me.

:shrug:

It's completely, 100% overrated, but it's quite nice in some spots (especially the title track).

I listen to plenty of music with vocals that most would consider grating or, at the very least, "interesting," but Mangum's voice is sometimes so bad to me that I can't listen to it.

Still not as bad as Joanna Newsom.

awesome record, underrated in my opinion

great tunes, funny very unique vocals, and that thing of being almost out of key is great

100% Genius (especially "Oh Comely"), possibly one of my 10 favorite albums of all time

lazarus said:

The guy's voice sounds like a broken police siren. The lyrics aren't genius enough to cover that up, and the music is something Sufjan does on a regular basis and better.

It did create "meh".

It's good, it has its brilliant moments and it's 'meh' ones as well. Not one of my favorite albums ever, but I do enjoy it every time I dust it off and play it.
I never hear anyone talk about so I don't know whether it's over-hyped or not.

unlike many other "indie" benchmarks, i liked it the first time i heard it.

underrated? no chance.

overrated? maybe. it's gotten ridiculous amounts of praise. then again it is darn good.

the lyrics are CREEPY and not necessarily in a good way. more like creepy in a 'watching two people with cerebal palsy have sex' sort of way. sure, you can argue that it's a beautiful and natural thing, but it just makes me feel uncomfortable.

bollox said:
more like creepy in a 'watching two people with cerebal palsy have sex' sort of way.

:lol:

Bollox, you're one of my favorite posters that I don't think we see enough of.

inmyplace13 said:

:lol:

Bollox, you're one of my favorite posters that I don't think we see enough of.

thanks! i usually post over on atease, but y'all are much friendlier over here. though i did receive more than a few flames a while back when i said i thought ashlee simpson was better than broken social scene (okay, i kinda instigated that one . . . but i was only half joking!)

Back
Top Bottom