networking peeps, check in.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Any Interferencers w/ any networking skills care to explain to me how I setup a D-link router w/ SBC DSL (5100 modem)? I've never done this kind of thing before so I reset the router and ran the wizard, which auto-detected the WAN as pppoe. I entered the SBC username and password, but it still doesnt work. In the Network Connections I get an "Internet Gateway", a "Local Area Connection", and a "1394 Connection". The last two are both setup to obtain IP, etc, automatically. Down in the system tray I see something is connected, but I can only access the router configuration and not any webpages. My friend tried to explain how to setup a static IP, but I messed that up too.

Anyone out there know what they're doing or have done this w/ SBC before?

bunny.jpg

Techie2000 said:
If you want me to help you with stuff, add me to your AIM (T3ch13200) and message me, I can walk you through when I have time...

That would be so awesome. I'm not sure when I'm going to my parents' house next, but I'll IM you then if you're on.

What model D-Link router do you have? Also...is it running DCHP (enabled to send out IPs automatically)? Can you ping the router's IP from your computer? Make sure that you only have the Local Area Connection enabled on your computer, cos the other connections might cause you some trouble...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

That would be so awesome. I'm not sure when I'm going to my parents' house next, but I'll IM you then if you're on.
Just noticed I made a typo, it's T3ch132000 (Techie2000 was already taken, so I had to be a little creative with the hacker language...

I have a Linksys wireless router, so I'm of no use, unfortunately. :|

I wish I had a Linksys, b/c that's what I have at my house and I have the same ISP as my parents, so I could copy the way ours is configured (which I did not do).

Ah well, Phuzzie and Techie are helping me now.... :D

I was thinking last night, as I was laying in bed, and realized I forgot a step. That is, you're going to want to change the IP of the router or the modem to not be the same thing (you said they were both 192.168.0.1). The easiest way is to probably change it on the modem if you can before you disconnect it (to 192.168.0.100 or something) or change the router's IP from its control panel before connecting the modem...

Back
Top Bottom