Neon Neon: Stainless Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
I hope this hasn't been brought up yet.

I'm not even sure if this has been released in the U.S. or not yet, but I've been listening to it for over a week and it's awesome.

Neon Neon is a collaboration between Super Furry Animals frontman Gruff Rhys, and Boom Bip, who's an artist himself as well as a producer and remixer. Guests include Fatlip, Sean Tillmann from Har Mar Superstar, and Spank Rock, among others.

It's definitely an 80's retro affair, conjuring up memories of stuff as heavy as New Order and as light as various one-hit wonders of the decade. There are a handful of more rock-based songs, a few hip-hop joints, and then some full-on dance tracks. Something for everyone, in other words.

There was earlier this year that this was going to be a concept album about John Delorean, creator of the car bearing his namesake that was featured in Back To The Future, but I'm not sure if that's the case. There are definitely a few songs that appear to be referencing the subject matter, however.

Also, anyone who titles a song "I Told Her On Alderaan" automatically gets props from me.

This is definitely more impressive than Gruff's recent solo album, but don't expect anything as good as any SFA release in recent memory.

A lot of fun.

Sounds pretty suite. Someone should pirate it to me.

edit: to point out my spelling mistake before anyone else does...not to correct it, I'm no vag.

Yeah, I started this thread way, way, way back, but no worries. I'm glad that, at long last, somebody else is finally paying attention, regardless of which thread is hosting said attention-paying. It's a solid record, no doubt. I think it would've been better as a Gruff solo, though...I don't like the obvious Boom Bip tracks nearly as much, minus "Trick for Treat," due to the genius of Spank Rock. It's no Yr Atal Genhedlaeth, but it's damn good stuff, all the same.

I may be somewhat wavering on this one, but I think that I'm still willing to go with it, for now:

"I Told Her On Alderaan" is the best song of this very young year.

Back
Top Bottom