Nelson reiterates innoncence in bullpen fight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl02

Refugee
From boston.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Former New York Yankees reliever Jeff Nelson will contest a lawsuit filed by a Fenway Park groundskeeper stemming from the bullpen brawl during last year's playoffs.

"It's ridiculous," Nelson said Thursday. "I'm not guilty at all, so why should I give into something that I didn't do?"

Paul Williams Jr. sued Nelson, now with the Texas Rangers, and former Yankees outfielder Karim Garcia for more than $33,000 for medical bills and lost wages.

Williams contended the fight during Game 3 of the AL championship series left him with a deviated septum and he has lost his sense of smell, according to the suit filed Feb. 17 in Suffolk Superior Court in Massachusetts. He also said he sustained broken teeth, an injured neck and cleat marks on his body.

Nelson, Garcia and Williams have pleaded innocent to assault and battery charges.

Williams was cheering for the Red Sox from the New York bullpen after there had already been a bench-clearing fight. Nelson was annoyed by the groundskeeper's actions and told him so.

Nelson said Williams jumped in his face and tried to take a swing. The pitcher said he was defending himself.

"What do I have to gain by jumping on a grounds crew guy?" Nelson said. "As hard as I've worked 12 years in the major leagues to build my reputation, what I give back to the community ... and I'm going to ruin it by jumping on a grounds crew guy? No."

Garcia is now with the New York Mets.

Back
Top Bottom