Need some ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. MIKEphisto

The Fly
YOO

I am having trouble getting new ideas for some new music to listen to.

I'm a huge RH fan, U2 fan, PJ fan.. arcade fire, Interpol, Smiths, pixies, Hip, Franz F, REM, Stereolab, muse, neil young, Zeppelin, Beck, Weezer, Tool, Pumpkins, etc..

anyways..

What are some new albums (or even some great old ones) that you guys can recommend for me? I am having serious cravings for some new thought provoking, and headwobbling music :)

thanks!

Placebo. Seriously. Go out and get Once More With Feeling: THe Singles 1996-2004. Now. Run, don't walk.

And was the PJ Pearl Jam or PJ Harvey? Either way, you should listen to both.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Placebo. Seriously. Go out and get Once More With Feeling: THe Singles 1996-2004. Now. Run, don't walk.

And was the PJ Pearl Jam or PJ Harvey? Either way, you should listen to both.

That would be Pearl Jam (coming soon to Ottawa!)

what does PJ harvey sound like.. heard lots, but never listened.

PJ Harvey... hard to describe really. Album by album a bit different. She's got a very weathered voice, confessional and biting lyrics, and the music ranges from raw grungy rock to trip-hop-esque depending. Her most important album is probably Rid of Me, her most well-known song ("Down by the Water") is on To Bring You My Love, and her most accessible is easily Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea. Stories has a duet with Thom Yorke which is just chilling, a good place to start since you're a RH fan methinks.

Mr. MIKEphisto said:
Thanks guys..

is that BIG?

Not a queen fan, but thanks :)

it is Big :wink:

just some very good music

also buy those soundtracks :

Kill Bill Vol 1&2
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction

those are great compilations by Quentin Tarantino
forgotten and unknown gems with a twist
all styles , all the music you ever gonna need

UnforgettableLemon said:
PJ Harvey... hard to describe really. Album by album a bit different. She's got a very weathered voice, confessional and biting lyrics, and the music ranges from raw grungy rock to trip-hop-esque depending. Her most important album is probably Rid of Me, her most well-known song ("Down by the Water") is on To Bring You My Love, and her most accessible is easily Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea. Stories has a duet with Thom Yorke which is just chilling, a good place to start since you're a RH fan methinks.

Good call.. sounds sweet.

WinnieThePoo said:

it is Big :wink:

just some very good music

also buy those soundtracks :

Kill Bill Vol 1&2
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction

those are great compilations by Quentin Tarantino
forgotten and unknown gems with a twist
all styles , all the music you ever gonna need

Man... Love Tarantino (favorite director hands down)

Mr. MIKEphisto said:
What are some new albums (or even some great old ones) that you guys can recommend for me? I am having serious cravings for some new thought provoking, and headwobbling music :)

thanks!

I will continue to shamelessly plug this until someone takes a flyer on it.

Brian Jonestown Massacre, Tepid Pepermint Wonderland. Very trippy, neo psycho shoegazey kind of music but any kind of catchall phrase doesn't do it justice. Peter Hayes of BRMC is a former member, even directly nicked that "she's so ha-ha high" verse from BJM's "If love is the drug".

try...

blood on the tracks/highway 61 revisited-bob dylan

born to run-springsteen

velvet underground and nico-velvet underground

(all are very um thought provoking:wink: )

Re: Re: Need some ideas...

OnFire said:

I will continue to shamelessly plug this until someone takes a flyer on it.

Brian Jonestown Massacre, Tepid Pepermint Wonderland. Very trippy, neo psycho shoegazey kind of music but any kind of catchall phrase doesn't do it justice. Peter Hayes of BRMC is a former member, even directly nicked that "she's so ha-ha high" verse from BJM's "If love is the drug".

I need to check of BJM...big fans of The Church, so you know they have good taste. :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Need some ideas...

indra said:

I need to check of BJM...big fans of The Church, so you know they have good taste. :wink:

If you are a fearless downloader, which I am not, I believe you can sample plenty from their website. Come one! Come all! Sample the Kool Aid, drink til your cup runneth over!! You won't even miss your old life! :macdevil:

http://www.brianjonestownmassacre.com/mp3.html

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need some ideas...

OnFire said:

If you are a fearless downloader, which I am not, I believe you can sample plenty from their website. Come one! Come all! Sample the Kool Aid, drink til your cup runneth over!! You won't even miss your old life! :macdevil:

http://www.brianjonestownmassacre.com/mp3.html

I'm not much of a downloader (really slow dialup is part of the reason), but I'll be quite willing to buy a cd or two once I finish moving (too much crap to move already!).

I actually like buying a cd to check out new music anyway. It makes me more apt to really give the album a thorough listen (since I paid for it :) ). And I have a thing about wanting to financially support the bands/artists I listen to.

So your shameless BJM promotion has worked on me! :)

...now, be a good poster and go check out my shameless promotion of my favourite band.... :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need some ideas...

indra said:

...now, be a good poster and go check out my shameless promotion of my favourite band.... :D

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember the Church at their most popular, and fondly so. Just before I got married over 10 years ago, I had a roomate who was a fan and had all their cds. I need to reload on some of that, I'll at least pick up Starfish and whatever else my immediate budget allows.

As a Church fan, you'll probably like BJM but from my recollection of the Church, their production is probably more refined than BJM (they were a major label act, weren't they?). TPW is a great album to get started w/BJM, you get a 2 disc 38 song collection for the price of a single cd and I'm now finding a lot of songs I didn't like at first listen really growing on me. Give it several spins, it gets addicting fast.

Back
Top Bottom