Need kitten advice................

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
Right, the story is, at least 4 weeks ago, I lost my little cat......she was knocked down half-an-hour before I left work, just about 4 houses down from us and I was devasted.........for she was a cat I truly adored (remember I told u guys we took her in?).........and saying goodbye to your dead pet at the vets is the hardest thing ever, as some of you know Im sure.................no way did I wanna let go.....:(

time passed.........house was too empty.

Anyhow, we went along, and decided we needed something new.........whether it was a dog or cat, and both decided eventually two kittens for a change..........this made me happy, I got excited but it was finding two tabbies that would be difficult, as I fancied two tabbies.........so 2 weekends ago checked Cat Sanctuary and Animal Shelter, but no luck, however a vet in Holywood was our best bet........and when we went up there was a litter! But unfort 2 were taken and one had little ickle white socks and (yes, I know - Im so bloody detailed in everything I right :rolleyes:..) there was an ickle black and white one that walked like it was drunk and it was so cute and all and..........we had to go back Monday if we didnt find any anywhere else....and we didnt so we went back but then another 2 were gone and the 2 left, one was the black one and a light tabby, but I hoped for a dark one..............and then we were taken to another kitten that was brought in from someones garden and mum instantly fell in love with it and so did I......even though she was a grey tabby.................and shes sooooooooooooooooo adorable......and we were able to collect her next night.......and the other best thing that happened was one of the vet's assistants said she was taking the 2 tabbies (the one I liked that was dark) but she kindly changed her mind and let me take her dark one........which I thought was really nice.......cause we were in there first and put names down, but she came day after and picked two...............and, right I wont go on!!!!! :):):)

Bas-ic-call-yeeeeee..........we have 'Megan' now, as shes older and on 1st October we are collecting the dark headed tabby, who is male...............and my question is, any advice on how to get these two to bond quickly?

We've heard lots of things like:

'Rub some sardine oil on the back of their necks, they love the smell, and would go over to each other and lick and learn to bond'

or

'Keep them seperate for a week, like put 'Megan' in the shed and let the other one get used to the house, etc, then put them together' (but then I was told they might get possesive of the territory they were in and hiss and not get on at all)

or

'Just put them both in together and let them get on with it, they'll bond fine'

So, anyone any advice on how they did it? If they were under same circumstance........
Also the other thing is, I really would like this male tabby Im bringing in to come to me and lie on my knee and stuff.............and I think Ive fuked up already with Megan, for we keep her in the kitchen when out, or for a break, or at night.....and most times shes the run of the living room for her 'Mad Max' moments , but now when I go to lift her and set her on my knee or down beside me to settle for rest, she runs off and hides.................mum says its because she tinks Im puttin her back in the kitchen, which shes now bored off.....and .......ooooooh, have I ruined it? Will she never come to me now?

How or what should I do to make sure I dont screw up with the 2nd?

any help, advice much appreaciated guys!

xxxxxxxx Maddie :happy:

Last edited:
Hi Maddie

I've had to do this a couple of times.

I just put the two cats together....they will be scared of each other at first. But eventually they will learn to coexist.....if they are young enough then it won't be a problem, cats are pretty adaptable.

Best of Luck and post pics of them if you can....

:heart: kitties

Hi Maddie! Yeah, its what Daisy said...Just put the two cats together, and let them get used to each other. There may be times you will have to break up their little fights while trying to get used to each other, but eventually they will learn to get along. I did this with two of my cats, who loved playing with each other. One of them was a baby, the other was an adult cat. The big one, Halle...would teach the little one Shilo, some weird things, like sit on a q-tip to "hatch" it, or cover the bowl with the rug after they eat with the corner of the rug. So it is possible for them to get along. I no longer have Shilo with me, as she was just too much trouble to take care of (some lady kept kidnapping her, and my mom didnt want her around much anyways, so i had no choice but to give her up to someone else who could take care of her just not the crazy lady)and I miss her so much, she was like my second child. Good luck with your kitties and post pics of them if you can:)

I agree with what nellie and daisy said, just put them together and let them slowly get used to each other. My two cats hated each other at first, and our older cat Megan (same name as yours :D) kept chasing our little kitten round the house. They soon got used to each other though, and with yours both being kittens I'm sure they'll soon make friends :)
If you have a room that neither of them have been in then that's probably the best place to introduce them, because it will be neutral territory.

Let us know how they get on, and post some pics if you can - I'd love to see what they look like :heart: :cute:

I will be difficult scannin.....I dont have one, mind u my mate does have one and aint home til October....so who knows!!!!!!!!!

:happy:

Ach wee Megans a right charmer, u all would fall in luv with her............

I never seem to tire of playing with her.........its all good fun!

But I cannie wait til the other comes in and I dont have a name for it!!!!!!!!

Maybe Tigra..........Phoenix............or...............Kenneth..........

buhahhahwhwhhahwhahwhh

I might hunt throught the Interference names and name it after one of u!!!!!!!!!!!

Well outta all top five actors I like I might choose fwom:

Hank- (Tom Hanks) - a top favourite, might I add! :D
Vinni/Gio/Vin - (Giovinni Ribisi)
Phoenix - (Joaquin Phoenix)
Mel - (Mel Gibson)
Capri - (Leo DiCaprio)

but I also loike Kenneth Branagh!

BUGGER!

BOLLOX ITs HARD TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mean this to be an "attack". I do not have any advice on the actual question that was asked 3/4 of the way down on the post. This is in regards to the upper half. Did it really matter what color the cats were? I mean really? You could have save time and probably two cats from getting gassed if you had just picked two from the shelter? It is where you started in the first place is it not. Does the cats temperament or personality matter at all or are you just looking for something that is aesthetically pleasing? If you were talking dogs I could understand, because size becomes and issue and different breeds etc. I know I will probably get burned about this like I am mean and so on and so forth but I just felt that it needed to be pointed out.

what's new pussycat?pussycat pussycat I love u, yes!!I Do, u & your pussycat nose

I can't have a cat where I live maddie, but I do so love them.
Why do you love tabby's so much? I have a dear friend who is just nuts about his cats and he always tries to find a tabby in particular a "green tabby" have you heard of that. the one he has now is called "olive"and his blue heeler dog is called "grace" (he's not a U2 fan...atall!!! just a coincidence)

Anyway, you may have gleaned from earlier posts I am a bit nuts:huh: Yesterday I fell in love with this little ivory teddy bear that was sitting amongst the vitamin tablets at the supermarket. So Cute. I wheeled him around with me, took him up to the check-out.YES!!!! $4.44(funny price)I put the Milo back...he's mine!!!

I watched the movie Shallow Hal on the week end. Have you seen it? His friend had a remnant tail, and when I got the ivory bear home a had a GooD LooK at him, he has a tiny tail.....teddy bears don't usually have tails do they? Anyway he was George for a while(after George costanza from Seinfeld) but that didn't suit him..It came to me at bed time, he's so soft and has the cutest black eyes.....and my chihuahuha is so jealous he will no doubt eat him at the first opportunity.

He is Ali G.....my new liitle silky friend.

I like the name VIN:yes: so many good ones to choose from. Good luck.
btw I think all it will take is time and love. those kitties will be purring on your lap in no time.

name

:wave:

well just wanted to say that this is my first post, and I agree with nellie on the cat thing they will eventually become friends...

My little grey persian is named Intel (yes like the computer company..)

I just got a new kitten a few weeks back, and we're trying to introduce him to our other cats right now. Basically we're just letting them stay in the same room together, but supervising them in case there are any fights. Josh (the kitten) has made friends with one of my cats already, but the other cat is being a complete grouch and keeps hissing and spitting when he goes near her.

So I think it's best just to let them spend time together and they'll bond that way.

mad1 said:
'Just put them both in together and let them get on with it, they'll bond fine'
:yes:

i have four kitties. here's our newest one :love:

tabitha.jpg

i also have three others...

jonathan (almost 12!!):
jonathan.jpg

tasmania:
tasmania.jpg

sunnie:
sunnie.jpg

anyway, as you can probably tell from the pics, they're all different ages. as i mentioned above, jonathan's almost 12, tasmania's 10, sunnie's 7, and tabitha is ~4 months. to get cats to bond is a weird thing. like people, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. although imo, cats bonding are easier than people bonding.

but i digress. the best thing to do is just throw them together and let them bond. the male will probably hiss at the female a little at first, just to put her in her place. when we introduced each female to our male (all our cats are fixed, well, tabitha will be fixed as of next weekend, even though she has no one to bang) he hissed at them for a few days, showed them he was boss and this was his home :laugh: and he gets along with them all famously now. he's like a pimp looking out for his hoes now. :D

btw gheto, i understand what you mean. my first two cats i didn't plan on getting. i got my first one at a christmas party, and he was the lonely cat in the back of the box, peering out, like "*sigh* will anyone pick me?" tasmania was the runt, and she just looked so sad sitting in the corner of the box while her mom and siblings ignored her. sunnie i got at an animal shelter, and her litter was the only litter of kittens they had. all the cats were male so we couldn't pick any of them. :( so i picked sunnie cuz she was friendly and had soft fur :laugh: and tabitha i got at another animal shelter solely for a playmate for sunnie (she's kind of the outcast) so i picked the one that mauled my husband and i, cuz i figured she'd be the same with sunnie.

Tasmania, great name, I once had a horse called Sonny

what about Bonanza?
I found a really old complete jigsaw puzzle(god I love "junque")the other day. It has a painting of the Cartwright family riding their horses on it (anyone remember the cartwright's and the Ponderosa?)
I was looking at the box last night(school holiday past time)

BONanza....U like?

anyway I tried to take a cute photo of Ali G and Tambo......not possible, Tam is in his "i am not happy about this development...AT ALL" posture. You should see the next shot...the escape:lmao:

do you remember the Radiators from Space maddie? I don't, but there is a connection between The Radiators from Australia and my chihuahua. The ex-drummer gave him to me. THE most precious gift.....just that Ali G doesn't scratch and lick himself and change position about 100 times per night.

Attachments

• aligandt.jpg
    aligandt.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 25
AWWWWW ICKLE PUPPY! ICKLE PUPPY!!!!!

:up: :drool: :wink: :love: :kiss: :cute:

how cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no, sorry cass honey, me dont know them or heard of them.....:(

anyway I was tinkin more of names, mum doesnt like 'Hanks' so maybe choose either 'Chino' (as in jeans) or '...............fuk Ive forgotten the other name just now!.:angry:

Maddie...

I'm not a cat person, but I've always said that if I ever did get a cat for some reason I'd name it Azreal (sp?) after Gargamel's cat from the Smurfs cartoon! :D

Back
Top Bottom