Need kitten advice................ - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2002, 07:10 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Big Grin Need kitten advice................

Right, the story is, at least 4 weeks ago, I lost my little cat......she was knocked down half-an-hour before I left work, just about 4 houses down from us and I was devasted.........for she was a cat I truly adored (remember I told u guys we took her in?).........and saying goodbye to your dead pet at the vets is the hardest thing ever, as some of you know Im sure.................no way did I wanna let go.....

time passed.........house was too empty.

Anyhow, we went along, and decided we needed something new.........whether it was a dog or cat, and both decided eventually two kittens for a change..........this made me happy, I got excited but it was finding two tabbies that would be difficult, as I fancied two tabbies.........so 2 weekends ago checked Cat Sanctuary and Animal Shelter, but no luck, however a vet in Holywood was our best bet........and when we went up there was a litter! But unfort 2 were taken and one had little ickle white socks and (yes, I know - Im so bloody detailed in everything I right ..) there was an ickle black and white one that walked like it was drunk and it was so cute and all and..........we had to go back Monday if we didnt find any anywhere else....and we didnt so we went back but then another 2 were gone and the 2 left, one was the black one and a light tabby, but I hoped for a dark one..............and then we were taken to another kitten that was brought in from someones garden and mum instantly fell in love with it and so did I......even though she was a grey tabby.................and shes sooooooooooooooooo adorable......and we were able to collect her next night.......and the other best thing that happened was one of the vet's assistants said she was taking the 2 tabbies (the one I liked that was dark) but she kindly changed her mind and let me take her dark one........which I thought was really nice.......cause we were in there first and put names down, but she came day after and picked two...............and, right I wont go on!!!!!

Bas-ic-call-yeeeeee..........we have 'Megan' now, as shes older and on 1st October we are collecting the dark headed tabby, who is male...............and my question is, any advice on how to get these two to bond quickly?

We've heard lots of things like:

'Rub some sardine oil on the back of their necks, they love the smell, and would go over to each other and lick and learn to bond'

or

'Keep them seperate for a week, like put 'Megan' in the shed and let the other one get used to the house, etc, then put them together' (but then I was told they might get possesive of the territory they were in and hiss and not get on at all)

or

'Just put them both in together and let them get on with it, they'll bond fine'

So, anyone any advice on how they did it? If they were under same circumstance........
Also the other thing is, I really would like this male tabby Im bringing in to come to me and lie on my knee and stuff.............and I think Ive fuked up already with Megan, for we keep her in the kitchen when out, or for a break, or at night.....and most times shes the run of the living room for her 'Mad Max' moments , but now when I go to lift her and set her on my knee or down beside me to settle for rest, she runs off and hides.................mum says its because she tinks Im puttin her back in the kitchen, which shes now bored off.....and .......ooooooh, have I ruined it? Will she never come to me now?

How or what should I do to make sure I dont screw up with the 2nd?

any help, advice much appreaciated guys!

xxxxxxxx Maddie

Old 09-17-2002, 10:23 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Local Time: 07:39 AM
Hi Maddie

I've had to do this a couple of times.

I just put the two cats together....they will be scared of each other at first. But eventually they will learn to coexist.....if they are young enough then it won't be a problem, cats are pretty adaptable.

Best of Luck and post pics of them if you can....

kitties

Old 09-17-2002, 11:16 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Hi Maddie! Yeah, its what Daisy said...Just put the two cats together, and let them get used to each other. There may be times you will have to break up their little fights while trying to get used to each other, but eventually they will learn to get along. I did this with two of my cats, who loved playing with each other. One of them was a baby, the other was an adult cat. The big one, Halle...would teach the little one Shilo, some weird things, like sit on a q-tip to "hatch" it, or cover the bowl with the rug after they eat with the corner of the rug. So it is possible for them to get along. I no longer have Shilo with me, as she was just too much trouble to take care of (some lady kept kidnapping her, and my mom didnt want her around much anyways, so i had no choice but to give her up to someone else who could take care of her just not the crazy lady)and I miss her so much, she was like my second child. Good luck with your kitties and post pics of them if you can
Old 09-17-2002, 11:40 AM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 12:39 PM

I agree with what nellie and daisy said, just put them together and let them slowly get used to each other. My two cats hated each other at first, and our older cat Megan (same name as yours ) kept chasing our little kitten round the house. They soon got used to each other though, and with yours both being kittens I'm sure they'll soon make friends
If you have a room that neither of them have been in then that's probably the best place to introduce them, because it will be neutral territory.

Let us know how they get on, and post some pics if you can - I'd love to see what they look like
Old 09-17-2002, 12:05 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
I will be difficult scannin.....I dont have one, mind u my mate does have one and aint home til October....so who knows!!!!!!!!!

Ach wee Megans a right charmer, u all would fall in luv with her............

I never seem to tire of playing with her.........its all good fun!

But I cannie wait til the other comes in and I dont have a name for it!!!!!!!!

Maybe Tigra..........Phoenix............or...............Kenneth..........

buhahhahwhwhhahwhahwhh

I might hunt throught the Interference names and name it after one of u!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2002, 12:10 PM   #6
you are what you is

Adam is a good name for a cat
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-17-2002, 12:13 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

*jumps on Sally and squashes his big one*

awight mate?

no

Adam is a good name for a ginger cat.....if I had a ginger Tom it would be called Adam or Peanut or even Toffee......

see?
Old 09-17-2002, 12:15 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

wink

How about Jimmy, or Nesbitt?

Yay for your new kitties!
Old 09-17-2002, 12:23 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Well outta all top five actors I like I might choose fwom:

Hank- (Tom Hanks) - a top favourite, might I add!
Vinni/Gio/Vin - (Giovinni Ribisi)
Phoenix - (Joaquin Phoenix)
Mel - (Mel Gibson)
Capri - (Leo DiCaprio)

but I also loike Kenneth Branagh!

BUGGER!

BOLLOX ITs HARD TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2002, 12:27 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:39 AM
vinnie or mel would be a cute name for a cat
Old 09-17-2002, 12:35 PM   #11
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by mad1
see?
ah yes
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-17-2002, 01:03 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by mad1
BUGGER!
i vote for this name.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:05 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

yeah for Maddie being back

God Bless your sole - and your cat.

Name you cat salami.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:40 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:39 AM
I don't mean this to be an "attack". I do not have any advice on the actual question that was asked 3/4 of the way down on the post. This is in regards to the upper half. Did it really matter what color the cats were? I mean really? You could have save time and probably two cats from getting gassed if you had just picked two from the shelter? It is where you started in the first place is it not. Does the cats temperament or personality matter at all or are you just looking for something that is aesthetically pleasing? If you were talking dogs I could understand, because size becomes and issue and different breeds etc. I know I will probably get burned about this like I am mean and so on and so forth but I just felt that it needed to be pointed out.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:17 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:39 PM
what's new pussycat?pussycat pussycat I love u, yes!!I Do, u & your pussycat nose

I can't have a cat where I live maddie, but I do so love them.
Why do you love tabby's so much? I have a dear friend who is just nuts about his cats and he always tries to find a tabby in particular a "green tabby" have you heard of that. the one he has now is called "olive"and his blue heeler dog is called "grace" (he's not a U2 fan...atall!!! just a coincidence)

Anyway, you may have gleaned from earlier posts I am a bit nuts Yesterday I fell in love with this little ivory teddy bear that was sitting amongst the vitamin tablets at the supermarket. So Cute. I wheeled him around with me, took him up to the check-out.YES!!!! $4.44(funny price)I put the Milo back...he's mine!!!

I watched the movie Shallow Hal on the week end. Have you seen it? His friend had a remnant tail, and when I got the ivory bear home a had a GooD LooK at him, he has a tiny tail.....teddy bears don't usually have tails do they? Anyway he was George for a while(after George costanza from Seinfeld) but that didn't suit him..It came to me at bed time, he's so soft and has the cutest black eyes.....and my chihuahuha is so jealous he will no doubt eat him at the first opportunity.

He is Ali G.....my new liitle silky friend.

I like the name VIN so many good ones to choose from. Good luck.
btw I think all it will take is time and love. those kitties will be purring on your lap in no time.