Need Help naming my new dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Yep, on the 18th of June I am getting an 8 week old, gold labrador puppy (how cute!!!) I have wanted one for ages, but always put it off for reasons of not being settled enough and not living in a house with a decent fence. Well now I live in a house with a great fence and backyard, I am planning on not moving for at least two years and I am sic of giving heaps of affection to all of my friends dogs- I want my own!!! and oh yeah, now I finally have the money to a. Afford the dog and b. Afford the up-keep too.....

so anyway I am having trouble thinking of a name, my Dad stole my name for a dog, when he called his dog 'Zuma' (which is the name of a great Neil Young album) and then I had thought of Perry (being for Perry Farell from Janes Addiction) but last year I met a Perry, who has since become quite a good friend, so I cant name a dog after a friend and she is a female too. So I have been trying to think of LOTR names, but nothing too corny, seeing as though LOTR now has heaps of attention (5 years ago you could of named ya dog Gollum, where as now it would sound a bit wanky). I dont think there are any decent U2 connections and I also like silly names too. I called my last gold lab, 'Cheaky', but then again I was only 7 when I got her...

so can any of you help me out??????

:huh:

That's great news Aurora. A puppy :heart:
Mine is right here beside me. It took me two weeks and some help from my friends to name him. He's Otto. It suits him:heart:

I could go on and on and on for ages with dog names( as you can imagine) I just wanted to tell you , I immediately thought of Sam when I read your thread title.
Did you see Denton Enough Rope last night? He interviewed Sam Neill who told a story about labradors and the name Sam :heart: AND THEN!!!
Daniel Johns was also interviewed :heart::heart: and he performed live with The Disocciatives:up:
so it's funny you should ask for suggestions for a lab name this morning. My sister had a red setter called Frodo years ago.
I am so pleased you are getting a much longed for puppy. Have fun....Larry?

Ya know Cass, I was so looking forward to Denton last night and I bloody fell asleep half way through the Sam Neil interview. I SHOULD NEVER lie down on the couch, with a rug over me, whilst watching telly. Its an instand sleeping pill for me, although I did wake up at the last bit of the performance, I guess my only saving grace is that they put the transcripts up on the Denton web site:)

I'm reading a list of names and here are the ones I like (I like "doggish" names):

Ace
Ajax
Benji
Bingo
Blaze
Brit
Buddy
Caper
Casey
Cheddar
Corky
Dash/Dasher
Dodger
Dusty
Echo
Faust
Gatsby
Hurricane
Kujo
Lucky
Patches
Radar
Raisin
Remington/Remy
Salty
Shadow
Sergeant
Speedy

My current Collie's name is Samson, because I originally wanted to buy him and his sister and name them Samson and Delilah.

I always wanted to name my dogs after artists, though. I think my next one will be either Goya, Dali or Pablo.

I want to a get a dog. Here's some of the names I have picked out. I won't actualy pick a name until I get the dog and see his personality. :D

Linus
Wesley
Rocco
possibly Snoopy :heart:

OzAurora said:
lie down on the couch, with a rug over me, whilst watching telly. Its an instant sleeping pill ....
:lmao:
watching TV with your eyelids closed? I do it all the time. So cosy under that rug at this time of year. Wait until you have your new pup to snuggle up with too:heart:
I'm back campaigning for the name Sam

Samwise Gamgee :heart:
loyal, brave...dare I say...dogged?

give him lots of names?? Sam Neil Young Amigo Gamgee Bloom Hewson the second
Sam
for short.

an excerpt -
ANDREW DENTON: You actually weren't christened Sam - you were christened Nigel. Where did Sam come from?

SAM NEILL: My best friend at school was also called Nigel, which was confusing. So I called him Bill and he called me Sam. That's sort of more or less how it started. And also, 'Nigel' was a kind of liability. You know, if you're called Nigel - and if there are any Nigel's out there, they know of what I speak - you're just an absolute prime target for being picked on.

ANDREW DENTON: Is that right? What is it about the name Nigel?

SAM NEILL: I don't know, there's... Something about that name just incenses people.

ANDREW DENTON: Actually, you know, you're right. I know some people...a woman who's about 20 now. But she and all her friends refer to somebody who they think is a bit daggy as a 'Nigel"

SAM NEILL: Yeah. You see? It's entirely typical. But Sam's a much more user-friendly name, and people...people tend to like you if you're called Sam. And...I know that 'cause they call their dogs Sam.
AUDIENCE LAUGHS

SAM NEILL: Labradors are often called Sam.

^see
:)

My friend had a retriever which died a few years ago, old family pet etc, sad passing. Anyway, my friend decided after a good few years mourning to finally get a new one. She was threatening to call this poor mutt Arthur all throughout the mourning period. And she did.

I am reporting her to the RSPCA. The dog doesn't deserve this.
:tsk:

Is Charlie too boring?

Names from and inspired by LOTR:

Lando (Orlando Bloom)
Sam (Hobbit)
Pip (Hobbit)
Morty (Viggo Mortenson)
Fro (short for Frodo)
Lego (short for Legolas)
Ringo (Ring with an 'o" for fun)
Bloomer (Orlando Bloom)
Otto (Miranda Otto)

Keep in mind I am very tired as I type this :wink:

Sam's a nice name for a dog

sam sam sam sam sam sam sam subliminal message sam sam sam or dave evans

anitram said:
My current Collie's name is Samson, because I originally wanted to buy him and his sister and name them Samson and Delilah.
I always wanted to name my dogs after artists, though. I think my next one will be either Goya, Dali or Pablo.

Samson and Samwise....Sam :cute:
Years ago my friend had a hyperactive border collie called Salvador. He was beautiful and the name felt good. No one ever tried to shorten it.
You are gtting your puppy on the night The Offspring and Justin timberlake are appearing in Brisbane....oh go on....call him Justin
hango on

:hmm:

JT?

Gosh this is as much fun as naming a baby:heart:

Hey peoples my dog is going to be a female.....maybe this didnt come across properly in my first post...anyway I like a lot of your sugguestions. Lucky has been one thought, and I was thinking of Venus, as I love celestial things and naming a dog Aurora, well that just wouldnt work.....but I tell ya, I am really liking cinnamon and I have thought about Tibby as well, as one of the mountains around me is called 'Mt Tibrogargan' and it is the one Glass House Mountain that looks like a big gorilla, so I thought that Tibby could be cool, but I am really liking Cinnamon:wink:

keep em coming though

k...a female
so maybe not Sam
a young friend of mine called his daughter Cinnamon last year.
brb with girl dog names:)

me again :D doglover

Joy- Great Joy
Leny - Lady Maleny ( Leny- pronounced Laney)
Penny- Penny For Them
Sunny- Miss Sunshine Coast 2004

and for some unknown reason the name Trudy keeps appearing in my mind's eye. I haven't thought of any names that have a celestial connotation. My friend has a GSD named Celeste. I saw them yesterday for the first time in yonks.
How about you get a female long-haired chihuahua and we can go into breeding? My chi is THE best dog in the world, he truly is:heart:

Lucky is a good dog name, Lady Luck be a friend to me :)

I am still liking 'Lucky' a lot, it has a nice ring to it, but 'sunny' is nice too.

I dont think that naming my dog 'nessa' would be to good, considering my name is 'Vanessa' and most people call me 'Ness', but stay tuned for pics, as I will post some on here as soon as I get her:)

Back
Top Bottom