Need a favor - soft jazz?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
My dad got a new car after 18 years and it has a CD player in it.

I told him I could make him some CDs if he tells me what kind of music he likes. He says,

"I like soft music with no singing. Can you make me a CD of that? Also soft jazz music is good."

I dont know where to begin lol. Can anyone recommend a CD to fit his tastes?

miles davis' a kind of blue is supposed to unbelievable and ground-breaking. i doubt you'll be disappointed based on what i've heard

yertle-the-turtle said:

It sounds ok but I think a little too on the psychedelic rockish side for him.

Edit: You may want to check out the so-called 'smooth jazz' genre. Dave Koz, Fourplay etc. I'm not really big on it though.

Maybe some Brubeck, it's a bit livelier but not as crazy as say, Mingus.

'smooth' jazz sounds like more what he would like I think. He likes very soft music I think like elevator music LOL. Will check those out.

Thanks very much everyone for your help!!! (keep them coming though if you have more suggestions, he has a 6 CD changer)

THIS is perfect... 'Dave Koz - Pure Moods'

Need more like that!

john coltrane quartet - album "ballads"

with mc coy tyner, jimmy garrison & elvin jones

say it (over and over again)
you dont know what love is
too young to go steady
all or nothing at all
i wish i knew
what´s new
it´s easy to remember
nancy (with the laughing face)

Sicy, I'm not sure if this is what he has in mind, but what about Sade? I was flipping though the radio stations in my car yesterday and came across her song "The Sweetest Taboo" on some easy listening station.

Yeah, he doesnt want any singing though. :slant:

Dave Koz and Fourplay sound PERFECT for him .... Thanks to all!!

Earl Klugh is pretty good. it's more acoustic guitar but it's got a lot of smooth jazz elements and stuff- i'm terrible at describing music. :uhoh: you can listen to sample of his best of...

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Earl-Klu..._bbs_sr_3/002-0091449-5676052?ie=UTF8&s=music

listen to the sample of wishful thinking- its from an album of his called wishful thinking thats good but impossible to find. i'll send it to you if it sounds like what you're looking for. :D

Tennis05 said:
miles davis' a kind of blue is supposed to unbelievable and ground-breaking. i doubt you'll be disappointed based on what i've heard

I have to second this. Kind Of Blue is the most amazing music I have ever heard. I love this CD. And NO singing:)

Tarvark said:
If he wants to delve in to the Dave Koz of spanish guitar: Marc Antoine

I would have suggested Ottmar Liebert. They play him almost non-stop on our local "Smooth Jazz" Radio Station.

Sicy, here are some other's (with no vocals) that our "Smooth Jazz" Station plays:
"Thursday" by Steve Cole
"Make a wish" by Mindi Abair
"Come As You Are" by Mindi Abair
"2:01 AM" by Boney James
"West Coast Coolin'" by Norman Brown
"Never Too Much" by Paul Jackson, Jr
"Moonglide" by Praful (Might be too experimental for him though)
"XXL" by Euge Groove
"Coolness" by Walter Beasley
Anything really by Hiroshima, David Sanborn and Ottmar Liebert.

I know of more so let me know if you need them LOL.

Back
Top Bottom