Nebraska in the Rose Bowl... wtf?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
what a joke, I think the computer ranking consist of a drunk ex-little league coach throwing a dart at a board of names, looks like Nebraska was the lucky recipient this year...

not saying they won't give Miami a game, but how do they rank above Colorado -- a team that beat them by 30 or so points only a couple of weeks ago?

The college football ranking system is a joke. They should have a tournament with the top 16 teams at the end of the year.

------------------
AFLAC!!!!!!

wins against ranked opponents:

Nebraska, 2
Colorado, 5

head to head:

Colorado - 62
Nebraska - 36

Bama, the loss to Fresno St obviously hurt the Buffs computer ranking, but logic here says Colorado deserves to be playing in the Rose Bowl; it reminds me of last year when Miami hammered Florida St, yet the Seminoles got to play Alabama for the National Championship

So Colorado is ahead of Nebraska in both polls, crushed Nebraska in their head to head meeting, and had a harder schedule, but Nebraska plays Miami for the championship.

Great fuckin' system those assholes put in place there. Simply brilliant.

Not that anyone cares, but here's the BCS formula:

The rating of a team is r1 + r2 + (0.04*s) + L - QW. Lower ratings are better.

r1 is the average of the coaches' and AP polls.

r2 is the average of eight computer rankings.

s is the numerical rank of the strength of schedule. Nebraska and Colorado had the 14th and 2nd toughest schedules in the country, so they receive 0.56 and 0.08 points here, respectively.

L is the number of losses.

QW is some numerical factor relating to quality wins. I don't know how this is computed.

The reason Nebraska wins over Colorado is because the computer polls all have Nebraska 2nd or 3rd, while they have Colorado 4th or 5th.

I'm pretty sure head-to-head matchups don't enter into the computer rankings. By that I mean that although the computers take as their data the scores of all games played, specific games between highly rated teams aren't given higher weight than other games. I could be wrong though.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 12-09-2001).]

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
wins against ranked opponents:

Nebraska, 2
Colorado, 5

Bama, the loss to Fresno St obviously hurt the Buffs computer ranking, but logic here says Colorado deserves to be playing in the Rose Bowl; it reminds me of last year when Miami hammered Florida St, yet the Seminoles got to play Alabama for the National Championship

Yes, I just heard Coach Barnett (Colorado) making that point about ranked opponents; he said Florida was the only team to beat more ranked opponents. WIth that stat, I agree that Colorado should be going to Pasadena.

And last year, F.S.U. played Oklahoma (who won it all), NOT Alabama; we were 3-8. But back in 1992, when we went 13-0 and and played undefeated defending National Champs Miami, F.S.U.'s Coach Bowden whined that they should have been playing us instead of Miami, even though Miami had beaten them regular season. I guess the BCS didn't want to hear it from him last year.

A very flawed system indeed.

~U2Alabama

oops, I meant Oklahoma, I'm thinking years ago when Alabama pummeled Miami in the Sugar Bowl for the National Title, Gino who? (another great Heisman Winner)

well, Bowden got his wish last year, and got embarrased too

BCS is a complete sham. Colorado is the hottest team right now and no one seems to realize that Oregon went 10-1(only loss was to a highly ranked Stanford team)and won their conference. And the Pac 10 wasn't that weak this year. At least my Georgia Southern Eagles are still playing, Division 1-AA champs two years running.

But you forget the point.... Miami is in the rosebowl too! That's the most important thing!

(hehe, that's my little spurt of school spirit, too bad no UM person will see it, oh well)

GO 'CANES!

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Bono: I don't walk, I swagger! I sashayed once, but just once. It wasn't for me.

Well it's all our fault. If my team hadn't choked on LSU we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

**hmph**

<<----crzy stomps off

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Colorado having 2 losses really takes them out of the equation, though they are clearly playing as well as anyone right now.
Oregon is the team screwed by the BCS, ranked #2 in both polls, but only 4 in BCS.
The Fiesta Bowl might be a better game than the Rose Bowl, and if Nebraska beats Miami, you could see split polls at year's end with Nebraska #1 in one and Oregon/Colorado winner #1 in other.
One word: Playoff.

If the NCAA had any brains whatsoever, the winners of the Colorado/Oregon and Miami/Nebraska games would play each other for the true national championship. It's that simple. The money that the bowls make now is peanuts compared to what the take would be in overall revenue (tickets, TV ratings, etc.) with a playoff system.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

My quick opinion.

OREGON GOT FUCKING ROBBED!!!!

What the hell will it take for people to finally take the Pac-10 fucking seriously???? Ok, I know my team didnt exactly live up to expectations, but we had problems of our own, seperate from the Pac-10. Not a difficult enough schedual my ASS!! How many ranked teams were there from the pac 10? Their only loss was to Stanford, a great 9-2 team (who also happened to be the team that started UCLA's hirrible slide) who was ranked.

So yeah. OREGON WAS FUCKING ROBBED!!!

Originally posted by Hewson:
Colorado having 2 losses really takes them out of the equation, though they are clearly playing as well as anyone right now.

This is what many Colorado backers are overlooking. The BCS is a composite of the entire season, not just what's going on right now, or what happened on a given November Saturday in Boulder.I'm not a Husker fan, but I'm afraid I've got to side with them on this one. Colorado lost twice (one was at Texas 41-7) Oregon's loss was at home, and had a few other uninspired wins against Oregon St. and Wisconsin. Like one official said, anytime you do not have two undefeated teams, there will be controversy. It doesn't mean the system is bad.
Don't get me wrong, this system is far from perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was 10-15 years ago. And if you step back and take it all in, you'll notice that it is evolving. It used to be that the major bowls were all tied into conferences. Then came the Bowl Alliance and Bowl Alliance II. Finally the BCS. I'd like to see a playoff. 16 teams is to much to ask. Besides, the #16 team in the nation has very little chance to win it all. I'd like to see 8 teams. Pick them just like they do now, 6 conference champs + 2 at large choices. Use the 4 major bowls as quarter finals and go from there.

I'm from Nebraska. We take our football very serious here because there's nothing else to do or watch. Go Huskers!!!

[This message has been edited by Bjork (edited 12-11-2001).]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted by U2Bama
But you're losing your head coach to Navy.
------------------------------------------

it's sad, but I suppose Navy is a higher calling.

Back
Top Bottom