NC-17 Films - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Does seeing that a film is rated NC-17 affect whether you’ll watch it?
a. Yes, it may be too graphic for my liking. 3 8.57%
b. No, its rating may mean it is better. 9 25.71%
c. Yes, my impressions of films of that rating aren’t good. 0 0%
d. No, I don’t pay attention to the rating systems. 23 65.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The fact that the MPAA censors (and places a tougher rating on) sex more than violence is one of the more despicable things about the movie business, and indirectly, the puritan values of the United States.
I was thinking the same thing. F the MPAA

Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 AM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:00 PM
Have you seen the documentary This Film Is Not Yet Rated? It's fantastic, although too much focus on the parts where the narrator is playing detective to find the board members .... but the stuff about the MPAA is really interesting. And quite infuriating.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:42 AM   #18
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Have you seen the documentary This Film Is Not Yet Rated? It's fantastic, although too much focus on the parts where the narrator is playing detective to find the board members .... but the stuff about the MPAA is really interesting. And quite infuriating.
i have, and i agree with you about the annoying part. otherwise it was good, and very frustrating like you said.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:32 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
When I see a film is rated NC-17 I am far, far, far more likely to watch it than a lower rated film. It usually means that film is going to be unique, graphic and something I'm not likely to see very often.

NC-17 films I like:

A Clockwork Orange
Bad Lieutenant (One of the best performances by an actor you'll ever see)
Crash
The Dreamers (One of the most beautiful films ever made, stylistically)
Kids
Last House On The Left
This Film Is Not Yet Rated
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!

I am a big fan of arthouse films so like others have said the MPAA rating system is complete crap.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Bad Lieutenant (One of the best performances by an actor you'll ever see)
Agreed on Keitel's perf. This is one fucked-up movie. You know you're in for a rough ride when a nun gets raped with a crucifix at the beginning of the film.

And that scene where he pulls the two girls over is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen in my life.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:51 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Agreed on Keitel's perf. This is one fucked-up movie. You know you're in for a rough ride when a nun gets raped with a crucifix at the beginning of the film.

And that scene where he pulls the two girls over is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen in my life.
Agreed. The end is so amazing though. It makes going through the graphic ride worth it.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I have. It really made me angry at the whole ratings system. Such a shame. Good stuff to know.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 01:00 AM
From an English perspective, the whole NC-17 thing is a bit weird. After PG, our ratings go from 12 to 15 to 18 (meaning you have to be that old to go see it) and no one bats an eyelid if it's rated 18.

If it's rated R in America then it's equal odds that it will be 15 or 18 over here.

But I suppose that if a film is rated 18 I'll take a second look to find out why it got the highest rating. And when I turned 18 it was kinda cool to be able to go see one legally. Although the only time I remember there being a fuss at the ticker booth was when Jackass The Movie came out and everyone under 25 got ID'd.

To take things in a slightly different direction, I'm not sure whether the American or British ratings system is better. While the American way lets the parents decide up to a point whwther or not to take their kids to see any old film, at least films rated suitable only for 18s and over in the UK don't cause a fuss. Sure, cuts can be imposed, but can you imagine Blockbusters not stocking the 18 rated Die Hard, Alien, Scream, American Beauty or even The Godfather?

The whole stigmata attached to NC-17 seems completely bizarre to me. Wow, a film unsuitable for children, fancy that. Anyone would think Walt fucking Disney produced everything else that was wholesome and rated suitable for the under 18s. And as for sex being rated much higher than violence in movies, well, I'm at a loss. When a film such as Hostel or any of the Saws, etc, can get an R when Lust, Caution receives an NC-17, something is clearly wrong.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #24
She's the One

If it's an NC-17 rating for violence, I won't go see it. I can't handle violent movies, not even most R rated ones. NC-17 for sex; it depends if the movie's any good or not.

There wasn't an option that reflected my choice in the poll, so I didn't vote.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

i absolutely love the fact that team america: world police, a movie shot using puppets, was originaly rated NC-17. awesome
Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I only thought people with children had to pay attention to ratings for movies.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:00 PM
I never paid attention to rating...

But I think the only movies I ever saw with an NC17 rating was Kids, Clockwork, American Psycho...but on Wiki they said the edited version was R, anywho...I thought it was really funny actually.

I just kept thinking: "NO, TEDDY FROM LITTLE WOMEN WHAT-ARE-YOU-DOING!"

Cuz that was before Batman

Tags
nc-17