NBA Playoff Time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugh. The Pistons' play is disgusting.

They aren't doing anything positive on offense. Not taking care of the ball, not moving without the ball, not cutting to the basket, not moving the ball around, not driving-and-dishing, nothing.

Spurs 97, Pistons 76

Many, and I mean MANY things need to change for the Pistons to have a shot at this series... or better yet, at winning a game.

Ah, and Ginobili scored 27 points :D

gherman's been conspicuoulsy quiet since his profanity laced outburst to Headache about bringing him back down to earth regarding the Pissed-ons.

I love these fans who only pop up when their team wins something and just disappear *coughColtsfanscough* when their team gets demolished.

C'mon gherman...bring Headache further down to earth now that the Pissed-ons have scored a whopping 145 total points in 2 embarassing losses.

Hewson said:
gherman's been conspicuoulsy quiet since his profanity laced outburst to Headache about bringing him back down to earth regarding the Pissed-ons.

I love these fans who only pop up when their team wins something and just disappear *coughColtsfanscough* when their team gets demolished.

C'mon gherman...bring Headache further down to earth now that the Pissed-ons have scored a whopping 145 total points in 2 embarassing losses.

:wink:

now let me ask a serious question, for the serious basketball fan... if you have a two guard who can't shoot past 15 feet (hamilton), a swingman who can't shoot past 8 feet (prince), and a center who may be the worst offensive player in the league (not so large ben), how do you ever plan on getting enough spacing to get your one big who can actually play ('sheed) a few good looks at the basket? your one peremeter shooter, billups, isn't even that good of a shooter... and being the pointguard, he's the one who's entering the ball to the post in the first place... thus then the easiest guy to guard against the three. i'm sure larry brown would love to abandon the middle school-esque flex offense that the pistons have been running, but he can't... he just doesn't have the offensive options.

and on a side note... i'm sure king stern is absolutely thrilled about having the pistons, who look to be on the verge of mental colapse, heading back to the site of the worst incident in nba history. so how long after the Ts start flying do the blue party cups start flying at the palace?

Hewson said:

Well, I am afraid that we will only see him if the Pistons end up winning one game, which is very much up in the air right now... I think the crowd in Detroit is going to be crazy, and knowing how light-tempered they are, if Manu kicks the Pistons' ass tomorrow night there might be some not-too-happy campers... :wink:

Interesting picture by the way... (I am wondering what Rasheed is actually thinking...) :D

capt.sge.cno62.130605043652.photo00.photo.default-255x384.jpg

I admit the Pistons looked pretty terrible last night, with the exception for two stretches of about 3 minutes each(that's real-time minutes, not game minutes) where they put together a run or two. But other than that, hard to watch. It's frustrating because I've watched this team play and I know that Hamilton is not playing as good as he can. Same with Sheed. Obviously, a part of that has to be the Spurs knowing how to play these guys and doing a good job of it.

I think the Pistons are gonna have to 3 out of 3 at home to have a shot at this.

so before last year's finals, the so-called nba experts on tv and radio all thought that the pistons sucked and that the eastern conference was a joke. then the lakers implode, and all of a sudden we have to go through an entire season hearing about how great the pistons are. now that the pistons are getting embarassed (thus far... knock on wood), will the so-called nba experts go back to saying that the pistons and the east sucks again?

i'm so confused by these experts...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
so before last year's finals, the so-called nba experts on tv and radio all thought that the pistons sucked and that the eastern conference was a joke. then the lakers implode, and all of a sudden we have to go through an entire season hearing about how great the pistons are. now that the pistons are getting embarassed (thus far... knock on wood), will the so-called nba experts go back to saying that the pistons and the east sucks again?

i'm so confused by these experts...

No. You don't beat the Pacers and Heat back-to-back to get to the finals if you suck.

Let's please not forget that the Spurs, aside from the first six minutes of game 1, have been playing damn near perfect basketball in these finals thus far. It would be hard for ANY team in this league to beat the Spurs the way they were playing last night. Combine this with the fact that the Pistons were playing about 50% as good as they are capable of, and you have a recipe for a blowout.

I know... I particularly dislike Hubie Brown, who is commenting the NBA Finals on ABC. He is such a "convenient" commentator... Pistons score a basket, they rule... Pistons miss a basket, they suck. :shrug:

I am thinking of watching the games on "mute" from now on.

:wink:

now let me ask a serious question, for the serious basketball fan... if you have a two guard who can't shoot past 15 feet (hamilton), a swingman who can't shoot past 8 feet (prince), and a center who may be the worst offensive player in the league (not so large ben), how do you ever plan on getting enough spacing to get your one big who can actually play ('sheed) a few good looks at the basket? your one peremeter shooter, billups, isn't even that good of a shooter... and being the pointguard, he's the one who's entering the ball to the post in the first place... thus then the easiest guy to guard against the three. i'm sure larry brown would love to abandon the middle school-esque flex offense that the pistons have been running, but he can't... he just doesn't have the offensive options.

Not sure why you're dogging motion offenses. Sure, every team would like to have 4 or 5 starters who can all create their own shot, but the Pistons (along with a lot of other teams) just don't have that. The problem with the Pistons' offense this series is that on a typical possession, they'll run one screen, the Spurs will shut it down, and then everyone ends up giving up on the possession, leaving Billups or Hamilton to chuck up a wild shot with 4 seconds left.

I agree, the Pistons can and should run more of their offense through Rasheed Wallace, but if the other 4 guys are just going to stand around and watch him try to iso, it's not going to help much. Billups and Prince can hit the 3 if they're wide open, but they're not getting open.

And you're right, Ben Wallace has no ball skills (like we didn't know that already). He's basically Dennis Rodman, but with a worse haircut. If he's not getting offensive rebounds and putbacks, he's a liability on offense.

That being said, the Pistons are capable of coming back in this series, but their margin of error is almost zero right now.

Last edited:
dennis rodman was twice the offensive player ben wallace is... people forget the early rodman, before he became a freak, who had no problem stepping out and knocking down a 10-12 foot jumper. and on top of it, rodman was an above average passer with excellent court vision throughout his career.

i'm not dogging motion offenses... i'm shitting on the flex. i hate it, have always hated it, and will always hate it. when one of my college coaches made me actually run it, i wanted to shoot myself. it involves a series of screens, trying to get a guy open for a short range shot. it's a gimmick offense that is used to get shots for teams with a minimal offensive skill. it turns players into nintendo men, losing all sense of creativity. it will get shots against poor to medicore defensive teams, but superior defensive teams will swarm all over it, jumping the screens and shutting down the cuts. undisciplined defensive teams will fall victim to the flex. quick and disciplined defensive teams like the spurs will eat it alive.

Last edited:
I predict if we don't stop playing like crap I'm going to break something in my apartment.

You know, us Detroit fans, we have anger management issues.

Detroit has played about as well as they can play, and they're down 42-41. Damn.

the most disgusting thing about this game... of which many things have been disgusting... is that detroit has gotten all the calls that they've been bitching and moaning about... and then some... and rasheed wallace still managed to pick up a T

so now the so called nba experts, who said how the pistons were great before the series, then said how much they suck after games 1 and 2, and now after a desperation win, all of a sudden the so called nba experts are all saying the pistons are great again. i really wish they'd all just shut the hell up already.

the way the playoffs have gone for the pistons this year, they'll probably get blown out in game 4, then come back and win by 15 in game. they play well in desperation situations, and then seem to let down immediately after.

and on a side note, this is the first time i've actually ever heard a television network bleep out the crowd's "asshole" and/or "bullshit" chants. gotta love disney.

Last edited:
Pistons 96, Spurs 79

It is nice to see the Pistons celebrate...

... because this is the only game that they will win this series.

Spurs in Five, party on Sunday :up:

the most disgusting thing about this game... of which many things have been disgusting... is that detroit has gotten all the calls that they've been bitching and moaning about... and then some... and rasheed wallace still managed to pick up a T

so now the so called nba experts, who said how the pistons were great before the series, then said how much they suck after games 1 and 2, and now after a desperation win, all of a sudden the so called nba experts are all saying the pistons are great again. i really wish they'd all just shut the hell up already.

the way the playoffs have gone for the pistons this year, they'll probably get blown out in game 4, then come back and win by 15 in game. they play well in desperation situations, and then seem to let down immediately after.

and on a side note, this is the first time i've actually ever heard a television network bleep out the crowd's "asshole" and/or "bullshit" chants. gotta love disney.

The Pistons can't win with you, can they?

It's getting tired, Headache. We know you don't like the Pistons. Got it. Got it about three pages ago.

I respect your basketball knowledge and your humor, but this is getting old. When the best you can do is rip on the experts and complain about the officials, you are the one showing desperation. It's okay to admit that they played a great game. It won't ruin basketball and the NBA.

Last edited:
stammer476 said:

It's getting tired, Headache. We know you don't like the Pistons. Got it. Got it about three pages ago.

I respect your basketball knowledge and your humor, but this is getting old. When the best you can do is rip on the experts and complain about the officials, you are the one showing desperation. It's okay to admit that they played a great game. It won't ruin basketball and the NBA.

I'm with Headache. The Pistons suck. It will be an embarassment to the NBA if they defend their title.

this is in no way ripping on the pistons, and/or the refs... i've said many a time that i don't care what the refs do. if they call it tight, you adjust. if they call it loose, you adjust. last night, the refs let a lot of things go that they didn't let go in games 1 and 2. the spurs didn't adjust, and eventually it wore them down.

my comment was on the absurdness of rasheed wallace getting yet another T, despite the fact that the refs were letting both teams play much more physical than in the first two games. detroit got what they wanted... and 'sheed still got T'd. if you don't find that rediculous, then i don't know what is.

again i don't exactly see how this is ripping on the pistons... it's ripping on the douchebag anaylists who are out only for a sound bite and never say anything worthwhile.

seems to me like in both of the previous two series' that detroit has played, they had to lose two games in a row before finally turning it on... happened in the indiana series and the miami series. throughout the playoffs they've played better with their backs to the wall.

and again, how exactly am i ripping on detroit here? i've been a part of many asshole chants myself... was just noting how it's the first time i've actually heard a network bleep the chants out.

detroit did what they had to do... they won a game that they needed to win. their defensive pressure in the 4th quarter was great... but let's slow down before we start calling it a great game. with duncan and ginobili playing like shit, it was still a 5 point game mid way through the 4th. so they played better... they adjusted to the way the game was called and took full advantage of it, especially towards the end of the 4th quarter when they pulled away. hamilton consistantly knocked down his 5-10 foot jumpers... antonio mcdyess finally gave them an offensive pressance on the block, and chauncy billups... for the first time all series... finally gave them a 3 point threat. the pistons played well... but it's not like they dominated the game from start to finish.

detroit played a great 4th quarter. they did not play a great game. and as for me calling the game disgusting... well... it was. every game in this series has been disgusting. it's ugly basketball. even if you can't see it for yourself, when the announcers have to try and tell you that you should appreciate it despite it not being pleasing on the eyes, that's hint #1 that this is some shit ugly basketball. even though i fully enjoyed watching the spurs beat up on the pistons in games 1 and 2, it's not like it was a beautiful, well played basketball game.

when both teams play well on offense and defense... which is possiable... then perhaps i'll say that it wasn't an ugly game.

and stammer i'm sorry if you're getting tired... but when all the talk from the pistons after the first two games was about how they were getting screwed by the refs... which they weren't... why, perchance, should that not be a topic of discussion?

and ripping the experts is in no way ripping on one team or another. would you have prefered it if i worded it this way?

before the series most of the so-called experts said that the spurs couldn't handle detroit. then after two games, the same experts were talking about how great a team san antonio is and how they can't be beaten. now after one game they think they're gonna lose the series again. i really wish they'd all just shut up.

perhaps that's more to your liking... and won't make you as tired.

Last edited:
After a comment like this . . .

i am disgusted that such a horrific team is represented in the nba finals again... so they win one title 'cause of a rapist and get back to the finals do to an abundance of injuries... oh what a great fucking team they are... fucking disgusting that a team with such horrific offensive skills can advance to the so called apex of basketball two years in a row. i'd rather eat my own shit than watch them play. if there is a basketball god, the spurs will absolutely dismantle them in the finals.

. . . I think it's safe to assume that a comment like this . . .

. . . is a rip on the Pistons. I don't recall you commenting on any of the Spurs wins as "disguisting games," making it look like a biased comment by someone who just looks for something to rip the Pistons on. That's what I saw and that's what I called. If that's not what you meant, fair enough.

I was taking taking the statement into context of other posts, not on its own. A little unfair, and I'll give you that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Pistons apologist. 90% of the reason I root for them is because they're my hometown team, not because of how they play basketball. I haven't stood up to defend them against any of the arguments on this thread because, frankly, most of these arguments are right. It just gets on my nerves when people decide not to like one team and then look for anything negative in their game to comment on. Or the other way around. Both get old real quick. And that's what I saw.

Now let's get back to Stevie Wonder. I mean, seriously, wouldn't a luxury box be the seat of choice in that situation?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom