NBA Playoff Time... - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,478
Local Time: 06:43 PM
You should put a footnote that the post was made whilst under the influence of buffalo sauce and blue cheese.
__________________

__________________
Hewson is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 AM   #107
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,384
Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
You should put a footnote that the post was made whilst under the influence of buffalo sauce and blue cheese.
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 05-26-2005, 09:50 AM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 04:43 PM
out here in the west..i think my suns are flaming out quite rapidly.
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase


the pistons are pathetic... the western confernce champ is going to kill them.
Unless it's the Suns.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
U2@NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Back in Buenos Aires
Posts: 4,281
Local Time: 06:43 PM
If the Suns can perform a miracle...
__________________
U2@NYC is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 12:40 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 04:43 PM
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #112
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,384
Local Time: 06:43 PM
your suns? sexyjerryslone will be very upset
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 05-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 04:43 PM
let him be.
since the dynamic duo have left, the utah jazz are about as sexy as your ny knicks

db9
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 05-27-2005, 07:18 AM   #114
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,384
Local Time: 06:43 PM
but alas, i'm still a fan of my supersexyknicks despite them being supersucky and run by the notsosupersexyunlessyournameismagicjohnsonisiahthomas
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 05-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
but alas, i'm still a fan of my supersexyknicks
And what if they hire Bill Laimbeer?
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 05-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #116
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 04:43 PM
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 05-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #117
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,384
Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer


And what if they hire Bill Laimbeer?



how long till the nets move to brooklyn again?
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 05-27-2005, 11:35 AM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,288
Local Time: 06:43 PM
I love it. Ever since the all-star break I have to listen to everybody and their mother yap about how it's gonna be the Heat and the Suns. And ever since the all-star break I hold my ground saying that it'll be the Pistons and the Spurs instead. Now, I'm raising my arms in victory yet, but judging from the current state of both series, I would be making a smart bet to say I'll be right and everyone and their mother will be wrong.

All season long I have said(probably not much here, but in the real world) that the Spurs will beat the Suns because 1)They have Tim Duncan 2)They are 999999999999999X what the Suns are defensively 3)They have Tim Duncan 4)They are a superb TEAM, each player playing their part in the machine to perfection...Tim, Tony, Manu, Bowen, Nazr, Barry, Horry, etc etc 5)They have Tim Duncan. and 6)Because the Suns are averaging 110.4PPG, and it is my opinion having watched NBA basketball for my whole life, that a team averaging 110.4PPG can't win a title. Ask Mark Cuban. You HAVE to play at least good D on a consistant basis to win a title and the Suns don't do it.

I have said that the Pistons would beat the Heat because 1)They are a better TEAM in the truest sense of the word. Every player has a role, a niche, to play and they do it wonderfully 2)They play GREAT D 3)Their talent is spread across a multitude of players where the Heat's talent is spread across two players, and DWade cannot beat the Pistons alone. To say that the Pistons are pathetic is just an erronous statement.

I realize that both the Suns and Heat have been playing with key players either out or playing at well below 100%, but injury, and Headache you should know this if you have played organized ball a good deal in your life, is a part of the game and having enough depth on a team in order to play through those injuries is a part of being a championship team. The only reason the Heat won one of the two games in their series is because Alonzo is stepping up. But the Suns? They have close to zero depth. After their normal starting 5 and Jimmy Jackson, who else do they have? The loss of Joe Johnson is not only the loss of a starter but because of Jackson starting in place, it is the loss of any bench that can be taken seriously.

I really hope for and look forward to a Spurs/Pistons final.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 05-27-2005, 12:38 PM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,384
Local Time: 06:43 PM
since i'm at work and bored i'll slowly pick my way through this...

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
I love it. Ever since the all-star break I have to listen to everybody and their mother yap about how it's gonna be the Heat and the Suns. And ever since the all-star break I hold my ground saying that it'll be the Pistons and the Spurs instead. Now, I'm raising my arms in victory yet, but judging from the current state of both series, I would be making a smart bet to say I'll be right and everyone and their mother will be wrong.
my mother picked the syracuse nationals... you leave her out of it.

Quote:
All season long I have said(probably not much here, but in the real world) that the Spurs will beat the Suns because 1)They have Tim Duncan 2)They are 999999999999999X what the Suns are defensively 3)They have Tim Duncan 4)They are a superb TEAM, each player playing their part in the machine to perfection...Tim, Tony, Manu, Bowen, Nazr, Barry, Horry, etc etc 5)They have Tim Duncan. and 6)Because the Suns are averaging 110.4PPG,
Today's did you know involves the fact that the Phoenix Suns have averaged 111 points per game in the Western Conference Finals... 0.6 points more than they averaged durring the regular season. So is it the vaunted San Antonio defense that's stopping the Suns? Or are they simply out-scoring them? I contest, as I always have, that it's both. You can play good defense while giving up 100+ points per game. The more shots you take, the more shots the other team takes.

Quote:
and it is my opinion having watched NBA basketball for my whole life, that a team averaging 110.4PPG can't win a title. Ask Mark Cuban. You HAVE to play at least good D on a consistant basis to win a title and the Suns don't do it.
based upon this, i'm going to assume that you're 15 years old or younger... because you're tending to forget about the decades know as the 80s, 70s and 60s, and basing your entire argument around a horrificly put together team from the current era, the dallas mavericks.

here's a little stat breakdown for ya... courtesy of CBS Sportsline... it lists the season, along with the NBA scoring average for all teams durring that season.

1993-94- 101.5 (22 of 27 teams over 100)
1983-84- 110.1 (lowest team average was 101.5, highest was 123.7)
1973-74- 105.7 (every team over 100)
1963-64- 111.0 (every team over 100)
1961-62- 118.8 (every team over 100)

so i'm guessing, by your assertion, that every NBA champ prior to 1993 doesn't count.

perhaps the most laughable argument that I can come up with is from the Detroit Pissed-on's own webpage... the part that speaks of the vaunted, fearsome Bad Boys defense of the late 80s and early 90s, a team that by all accounts is a better team than the current Pistons team.

Here's the quote...

By then the Pistons' most evident quality was a punishing defense. For the season, they held opponents to a league-low 98.3 points per game.

Let's repeat that last part...

held opponents to a league-low 98.3 points per game.

oh yea... the bad boy pistons? scored 106 points per game in route to two straight championships. in the 1988-89 season? they were second in the league in defense... giving up 100.8 points per game.

this year's pistons? scored 91.2 points per game.

Quote:
I have said that the Pistons would beat the Heat because 1)They are a better TEAM in the truest sense of the word. Every player has a role, a niche, to play and they do it wonderfully 2)They play GREAT D 3)Their talent is spread across a multitude of players where the Heat's talent is spread across two players, and DWade cannot beat the Pistons alone. To say that the Pistons are pathetic is just an erronous statement.
i refer to my previous statements... i consider most basketball in the NBA to be pathetic these days. the pistons are the poster boys for that... there is a reason, after all, why the United States, filled with NBA all stars and MVP candidates, won only a bronze medal... losing to a bunch of teams who if you pooled them togther, the best player you could find is Balki Bartakamous himself... Manu Ginobili. Nothing against Manu, but this just simply should not happen.

The Pistons simply cannot score. Period. They go into HUGE scoring droughts, where they go 5-10 minutes at a team without scoring a field goal. They were a sub-par champion in a sub-par league.

That said, i made the Pathetic comment under the influence of budweiser and chicken wings.

Quote:
I realize that both the Suns and Heat have been playing with key players either out or playing at well below 100%, but injury, and Headache you should know this if you have played organized ball a good deal in your life, is a part of the game and having enough depth on a team in order to play through those injuries is a part of being a championship team.
Michael Jordan gets injured those Bulls team never win a title. Larry Bird... Magic Johnson... I can go on, but I don't need to. There are certain players that make or break teams, no matter how good those teams are. The special players that elevate everyone else to another level. Losing one of these players is devistating to a team. Shaquille O'Neal is one of these players. He is in no way as talented as Bird, Michael and Magic... but he is as dominating a force as there has been in the league since Moses Malone or Wilton Norman Chamberlain himself. Maybe even more dominating, because Malone & Chamberlain had equals in their era... guys who, while not as good offensively, could hold their own. Shaq has no one. Alonzo was the last good center who could go toe to toe with Shaq, and he has one kidney. Shaq stands alone... if he isn't able to play at a high level, the Heat are useless. If the Pistons are a great championship team, they should sweep useless teams. They didn't because they went into one of their patented scoring draughts while getting scorched for 20 points by...

Quote:
The only reason the Heat won one of the two games in their series is because Alonzo is stepping up.
...Dwayne Wade. I think him scoring 40 points, 20 of which came in the 4th quarter, had a little something to do with the Heat winning as well. Combine that with the fact that apparently the Heat read my post after game 1 and got over the fact that the Pistons, because of their reputation, are allowed to get away with all sorts of pushing and grabbing and decided to push and grab right back. It took the Zen master's Bulls 3 years to figure that much out... here it's only take the Heat a game and a half. Go Ron Jeremy Go.

Quote:
But the Suns? They have close to zero depth. After their normal starting 5 and Jimmy Jackson, who else do they have? The loss of Joe Johnson is not only the loss of a starter but because of Jackson starting in place, it is the loss of any bench that can be taken seriously.
i shall refer back to my original post in this thread... where I made my playoff predictions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
NBA Finals
Miami Heat over San Antonio Spurs in 6 games
Quote:
I really hope for and look forward to a Spurs/Pistons final.
if you really want an nba finals that could possiably be uglier than that of the Nets/Spurs a few years back, then this is the one for you... only the pistons don't have a player of the caliber of Jason Kidd, so I would seriously doubt it would go 6 games like that one did.



and on one last side note... Tim Duncan gets hurt, that great TEAM the Spurs lose in the first round.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 05-27-2005, 01:16 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,288
Local Time: 06:43 PM
I am 20, closer to 21 than 19. Perhaps I should have phrased I said there better; in TODAY's NBA, you can't average 110ppg and win a title. This is because in TODAY's NBA, teams don't score like they used to. I remember fondly the days when pretty much every playoff game would end in triple digits. That's the way the NBA was back then(then being ten years ago, earliest). But today, more often than not I see games where teams finish with scores in the 70s and 80s. And I don't attribute that to the whole NBA picking up on the defensive end. You said most of the NBA is pathetic...if we're talking offensively, I agree. Defensively, the league is pretty average with the exception of a few teams(Pistons, Spurs, Pacers). But scoring-wise...I don't know what the scoring average for the whole league was THIS year, but I'm willing to but it's well below the 110-111 averages of years' past.

The Suns still average what they average vs the Spurs because they are because they score very, very fast. I've seen few teams get the ball down the court and a shot up faster than the Suns have this year. But match the Spurs up against any other team in the league that isn't named the Suns or the Mavs. Now put the Suns up against the same team. After both games are over, tell me in which game the opposing team was held to fewer points. I wager it would be the Spurs game.

And if Duncan got injured, the Spurs might loose in the second round, but not the first.
__________________

__________________
namkcuR is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com