NBA Playoff Time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

did you call shaq and dwayne wade both being injured yet your great team still needing 7 games to beat them?

i am disgusted that such a horrific team is represented in the nba finals again... so they win one title 'cause of a rapist and get back to the finals do to an abundance of injuries... oh what a great fucking team they are... fucking disgusting that a team with such horrific offensive skills can advance to the so called apex of basketball two years in a row. i'd rather eat my own shit than watch them play. if there is a basketball god, the spurs will absolutely dismantle them in the finals.

and people wondered how the americans lost in the olympics... it's because people actually believe these fuckers are good.

that's all the review i need. now let me go to bed before i gouge out my eye balls at the thoughts of watching the pistons for 4 more games.

and on a side note, stan van gundy should be smacked with a wet noodle for thinking that mailing in game 6 was a good idea.

absolutely disgusting.

and yes i know... i usually curse in my sports posts when i'm drunk... but i can garuntee you... i am 100% sober. i'm just that fucking disgusted at the game i love.

Do I have to bring you back down to earth like I did last year. Like I said last year... bring it on fuck face. Go back in your corner with your tail between your legs and be ready to rub your ass on the carpet like the shit scared dog you are. Don't piss on the floor because I'll rub your face in it.

gherman said:

Do I have to bring you back down to earth like I did last year. Like I said last year... bring it on fuck face. Go back in your corner with your tail between your legs and be ready to rub your ass on the carpet like the shit scared dog you are. Don't piss on the floor because I'll rub your face in it.
The rhetoric in this post certainly is uncalled for.

U2@NYC said:

Hey, not every BEST player in the world plays in the NBA... Argentina had other great players like Fabricio Oberto, Luis Scola, Alejandro Montecchia and Walter Herrmann... all of them playing in Europe.
"BEST"?
So these 4 are the "best" basketball players in the world?
Better than the foursome of say, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James and Shaquille O'Neal?

gherman said:

bring me back to earth, eh? like you did last year?

hmm... well for the past year i've stated that the pistons won the title last year thanks to koberapist... yes this is true.

i believe the fact that with a 50% shaq, the heat took detroit to 7 games... while with a healthy shaq, kobe's lakers could only go to 5, pretty much nails that point into the ground, wouldn't you think?

and while we're on the subject of bringing one back down to earth, how about those detroit tigers being 11 games out of first and under .500... again.

i thought bringing pudge in was gonna push them into the playoffs?

bitches.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
"BEST"?
So these 4 are the "best" basketball players in the world?
Better than the foursome of say, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James and Shaquille O'Neal?

Well, but not all of them played in Athens.

gherman said:

Whoa!

Totally uncalled for. :|

U2@NYC said:

Hey, not every BEST player in the world plays in the NBA... Argentina had other great players like Fabricio Oberto, Luis Scola, Alejandro Montecchia and Walter Herrmann... all of them playing in Europe.

I must admit I loved seeing the Argentines kicking the U.S.'s butt... :wink:

i don't like being ethnocentric, but it's hard not to be when you had an overall olympic record of 109 wins to just 2 loses heading in... and just 8 years ago in the 96 olympics you were dismanteling every team (let's not even discuss the '92 team... the greatest team ever assembled in any sport, IMO)

the team in athens still had 3 of the top 6 in this year's NBA MVP voting... duncan, iverson & stoudamire (nash, shaq and dirk being the other 3). they had this year's nba rookie of the year and last year's top 3 in the rookie of the year voting (james, anthony & wade). yes, garnett and shaq chose not to play, jason kidd opted out to have knee surgery, jesus shuttlesworth was getting married and kobe was raping people. that being said, with the exception of okafor, every player on this team supposedly is a top 20 NBA player (emphasis on the supposedly), yet still lost 3 times...

losing once? fine... bound to happen. twice? shouldn't happen... three times? get the F out of here... when you only lose 2 times in the history of the olympics with college players, and you then lose 3 times in one olympics with what are supposed to be some of the top players in the NBA, there's a deffinite problem.

i don't have a problem with the fact that the world caught up... i have a problem with how fast it happened. we sent vin baker and sharif abdur-rahim to the olympics in 2000 and still won every game. we sent tim duncan, lebron james, amare stoudamire, dwayne wade and allen iverson in 2004 and lost twice... after what was supposedly a wake up call in the 2002 world championships in indianapolis.

the world was going to catch up eventually... no question. but when they catch up in just 8 years, to say that it was just the world catching up would be ignoring the problem here in america.

Last edited:
el guyo de sportso's nba finals predictions...

Fact: There have only been three Game 7s in the NBA Finals since 1979.

Fact: Not since the '98 Bulls has the eventual champion been in danger of blowing the series during an NBA Finals.

Fact: There's a 90 percent chance that we're headed for another lopsided Finals.

With all due respect to the world champs, the Pistons are a seven-man team that can't even slap together three good games in a row. You really think that's cutting it against a team with a ceiling as high as the Spurs? I keep reading how this series is going to be boring, how we could have some 50-48 games, how America will be falling asleep by Game 2. Has anyone actually watched the Spurs? What more could you want from a basketball team? They banged bodies with a physical Nuggets team in Round 1, handled Seattle's smallball gimmick in Round 2, then played run-and-gun with the Suns in Round 3. Can you remember another basketball team adapting to three different styles in three rounds like that? Dallas is more malleable than Russell Crowe.

That's why the Pistons are in trouble. They have one distinctive style – slow everything down, limit possessions, keep doing the little things, take good shots in crunch time, don't beat themselves – and their uncanny ability to make two or three game-changing plays in the final minutes has been positively Belichick-esque. Well, guess what? The Spurs can play the exact same way, only they have the two best players in the series (Duncan and Ginobili), a better bench and homecourt advantage … and if that's not enough, they've been resting for a week while the Pistons were enduring a grueling seven-game series against a team that probably would have beaten them if Dwyane Wade wasn't injured.

This isn't a pick against the Pistons – I love what they have done during the past two seasons. It's just that the Spurs are that good. In fact, I think they have a chance to become the best title team in eight years (since the '97 Bulls). So I'm going with the Spurs in five.

Let the finals begin... :yes:

finals05_index_mainhdr_logo.gif

U2@NYC said:

:up:

Today's game will be a nice indication of where this series is going, though.

not neccesarily... i fully expect the pistons to come out reved up and slowly fade out as the game goes along, and the spurs to come out rusty and pick up speed as the game goes along.

if detroit's gonna win a game in this series it's game 1... catching the spurs on 10 days rest.

After watching some of this 'game' I think this thread should be merged with the wrestling thread.

not neccesarily... i fully expect the pistons to come out reved up and slowly fade out as the game goes along, and the spurs to come out rusty and pick up speed as the game goes along.

if detroit's gonna win a game in this series it's game 1... catching the spurs on 10 days rest.

Spurs 84, Pistons 69

Headache, congrats on a very accurate prediction of how the game unfolded :applaud:

In the end, Manu had the freakin' Pistons for dinner... I loved to see their depressed faces as he dunked a ball on them in the fourth quarter.

It might be a long series, but I like the way it started. :D

Go Spurs! :up:

score over the first 6 minutes... pistons 17, spurs 4

score over the final 42 minutes... spurs 80, pistons 52

game analysis... over.

the pistons get dismantled for 3 quarter by the spurs, and now all the so called experts, who were talking about how great the pistons were and how it's going to be one of the greatest finals ever, are now all up on the spurs nuts and talking about how detroit doesn't have a chance.

these are the same experts who didn't give the pistons a snowballs chance in hell last year, did nothing but talk about how patheticly bad the eastern conference was, and immediately jumped all over the pistons bandwagon after the lakers imploded, calling the same team that they labeled as bad a week earlier a "great team that plays the way the game is supposed to be played."

moral to the story, don't listen to a word the so-called experts say. even the ones with real basketball knowledge are only looking for soundbites.

and on a side note... i love mike kryszewski and all, but if i have to hear his whiney little american express commercial one more time i'm gonna shoot myself.

Last edited:
the blocking call on ben wallace was questionable... even i'll admit that. ref probably had a bad angle, and with wallace's reputation to flop, the ref made the call, and it was the wrong call, IMO... but before ben went nuts, he probably should have recalled this play, which occured just a few posessions earlier...

wallace.jpg

... this refs actually called this obvious foul a jump ball. you are not allowed to go across someone's body to tie up the ball... detroit won the ensuing jump and got a basket off this play.

point? refs fuck up... it's what they do. they make bad calls for both sides... adjust and move on.

Last edited:
"11:03 – Where does Rip Hamilton still wearing the Schnozzaroo (that see-through mask to protect his face) rank among the weirdest ongoing subplots in sports that nobody brings up or even questions? Does he ever take it off? Did his broken nose take three years to heal? What if Hubie showed up for tonight's game wearing one – would you think that was weird? I'm totally confused by this. "

more sports guy... his game 1 running diary is cracking me up

thanks hewson :up:

spurs

This is such a fantastic year ! I went to a U2 concert in April and will go to another in the fall ; AND the Spurs are playing in the finals !!!

Back
Top Bottom