NBA Playoff Time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2@NYC said:

1. I know. Unbelievable.
I seriously thought Horry might have wrenched his shoulder on that dunk, given that he missed the ensuing free throw so badly. Evidently it got fixed up in time though.

2. I think what the Pistons thought was that Manu was going to drive the basket. This play reminded me a lot of the last play of the series between the Bulls and the Suns, where MJ drove the ball and Paxson hit the three.
I think everyone in the entire universe thought that Manu was going to drive to the basket and possibly dish to Horry or Bruce Bowen for an open three.

I just can't remember a time when not covering the inbounds pass in a big game has actually paid off (not to say that it's never happened, of course). But the disadvantages (giving up clear passing lanes and leaving the passer open for a return pass) seem to greatly outweigh the advantages.

3. I agree. The thing was that Larry Brown was not even intending to pass the ball on the last play. It was only supposed to go to Billups but the Spurs defended him great.
Chauncey Billups had Bruce Bowen covering him from the fourth quarter onward. Not that Tony Parker's a particularly poor defender, but Rip Hamilton really should have been able to operate against him.

namkcuR said:

The Spurs had 3 or maybe even 4 3-point threats on the floor(Horry, Ginobili, Parker, Bowen), it's hard to keep them all closed off AND adequately cover Duncan inside. Someone was bound to be left open and unfortunately for the Pistons it was Horry.

the most dangerous man on a screen is the screener... the most dangerous man on an inbounds is the inbounder. two simple rules that every basketball player should know, and larry brown certainly knows this.

thus, rasheed obviously went on his own to try to make the aggresive play. if it was a set play to trap, someone would have been stepping up from the weak side to pick up horry. no one moved... so either the step-up guy fucked up royaly, or rasheed wallace left one of the most clutch three point shooters in the history of basketball wide open with time running out.

rasheed stays, horry isn't open.

robert horry isn't the player that michael jordan, jerry west, larry bird or reggie miller is... but he is certainly as clutch. he's proved it time after time after time after time after time. maybe it's just a matter of right time right place, but shit... you don't leave the man with the most three pointers in NBA history wide open with time running out.

namkcuR said:

The Spurs had 3 or maybe even 4 3-point threats on the floor(Horry, Ginobili, Parker, Bowen), it's hard to keep them all closed off AND adequately cover Duncan inside. Someone was bound to be left open and unfortunately for the Pistons it was Horry.

Yeah, but Rasheed was sort of playing halfway between Horry and Manu -- not tightly enough on Manu to deny the entry pass or to force a turnover, but too far away from Horry to get back and cover him for the three. If the play was to trap Manu, it wasn't very well executed.

in order for a player to take a charge, both of the defensive player's feet have to be planted before the offensive player starts his move to the basket.

11577bob10.jpg

as you can cleary see, horry is already in the air before hamilton has both feet planted. it is a clear block, not a charge.

11577bob11.jpg

11577bob12.jpg

11577bob9.jpg

11577bob.jpg

11577bob3.jpg

11577bob7.jpg

this will go down as one of the greatest dunks in playoff history... 20 years from now, big shot bob's 4th quarter will be a mainstay on ESPN Classic. :bow:

I can't get that last minute to stop running through my head. Chauncey's missed lay-in. Sheed's idiotic defense. Horry's clutch three even with a bum shoulder. Rip's lame attempt.

Headache, is this how Reggie made you feel? :wink:

And for those with a better Sportsguy knowledge than I, does this count as a Stomach Punch Game?

namkcuR said:
Why all the Pistons hate?

That's directed towards U2@NYC, not Headache.

Not that much hate...

I am just rooting for the Spurs in this series both for Ginobili and because I do not like the Pistons' style. As I said earlier, I just think the Pistons are a good team, and the fact that this series is so even makes me more passionate about it, but I mean no disrespect.

stammer476 said:
I can't get that last minute to stop running through my head. Chauncey's missed lay-in. Sheed's idiotic defense. Horry's clutch three even with a bum shoulder. Rip's lame attempt.

Headache, is this how Reggie made you feel? :wink:

And for those with a better Sportsguy knowledge than I, does this count as a Stomach Punch Game?

My God, the team that my allegiance goes to is the Bulls....is this how MJ made EVERYONE feel? :wink:

U2@NYC said:

2. I think what the Pistons thought was that Manu was going to drive the basket. This play reminded me a lot of the last play of the series between the Bulls and the Suns, where MJ drove the ball and Paxson hit the three.

If I rememeber right, on that final play Michael never drove to the basket, he passed it to pippen on the block, pippen passed it to Horace Grant, and Grant then kicked it out to Paxson for the win. And then you gotta love Horace Grant for Making that block on KJ. Those were the good days.

macphisto23 said:

If I rememeber right, on that final play Michael never drove to the basket, he passed it to pippen on the block, pippen passed it to Horace Grant, and Grant then kicked it out to Paxson for the win. And then you gotta love Horace Grant for Making that block on KJ. Those were the good days.

Oops. you are correct... :up:

Ah, those good old days....

watching these highlights makes me long for the days when marv announced the nba finals... al michales sucks. great sports announce in general, not a good basketball announcer.

http://www.nba.com/history/finals_moments.html

a bulls fan rooting for the pistons? for shame...

and i would imagine the horry game for pistons fans is some what similar to how reggie made me feel as a knick fan... but not quite there yet, because big shot bob only did it once to the pistons... reggie did it to the knicks over and over and over again.

Last edited:
stammer476 said:

I'll go ahead and answer my own question.

Here's the definition:
Level II: The Stomach Punch. Definition: Now we've moved into rarefied territory, any roller-coaster game that ends with A) an opponent making a pivotal (sometimes improbable) play, or B) one of your guys failing in the clutch ... usually ends with fans filing out after the game in stunned disbelief, if they can even move at all ... always haunting, sometimes scarring ... there are degrees to the Stomach Punch Game, depending on the situation ... for instance, Sunday's Kings-Lakers game and Monday's Celts-Nets game featured agonizing endings, but they weren't nearly as agonizing as Cleveland's Earnest Byner fumbling against Denver when he was about two yards and 0.2 seconds away from sending the Browns to the Super Bowl).

I had a hard time deciding if this was a Dead Man Walking or a Stomach Punch, but I'm going to have to go with the latter. The whole "stunned disbelief, if they can move at all ... always haunting, sometimes scarring" thing fits the bill. Not to mention that final shot may have single-handedly won a championship.

Let's go Pistons! Pleeeeeeeeeease!

YES!!!!!

WE'RE GOING TO GAME 7!!!!!

WE GOT ONE IN SA, ALL WE NEED IS ONE MORE!!

Now it's come down to one game, ONE game, between the two best teams in basketball, for the world championship. Thursday night is the game every basketball player lives for.

Game 7. Thursday night. Anything can happen. Winner takes all.

The Pistons committed five turnovers for the game, tying the old Finals record that they had broken in Game 4.

I'm still rooting for the Spurs. Couldn't believe they pull it out in game 5, and just lost it in game 6. Only caught the last 2 quarters of game 6, but it was close until the last few minutes of the 4th. So now would it be a nail-biter type of situation we're going to?

Wondering if the Lakers will ever make it back to a play-off team... :scratch:

San Antonio's Parade Is Scheduled For Thursday!!!!

As far as I can tell, that was a lie. But hey, whatever motivates you...

namkcuR said:
YES!!!!!

WE'RE GOING TO GAME 7!!!!!

WE GOT ONE IN SA, ALL WE NEED IS ONE MORE!!

Now it's come down to one game, ONE game, between the two best teams in basketball, for the world championship. Thursday night is the game every basketball player lives for.

Game 7. Thursday night. Anything can happen. Winner takes all.

As much as I hate anything Piston-related these days, I got to give recognition to a team that played great yesterday...

Where the hell were all the Spurs role-players? Only Ginobili and Duncan showed up yesterday! No one else... not the right attitude for a series-clincher game.

I still have my hopes up high for Game 7 and I do not care if someone has to break Rip Hamilton's mask :mad:

Back
Top Bottom