NBA - Kobe Bryant gets busted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well well well, isnt this a surprise?

especially given that Kobe is said to be one of the league's 'good guys'

i mean hasnt anyone heard him rap? so bland, its just about neigh on christian music for rap music when you listen to something by er... allen iverson

but then again thats what happens in the NBA these days, if a star player gets pulled over for speeding, it gets found out that he was drunk, then the police smells weed on his car, he finds weed, then he also finds guns, the star player of course will deny everything. Either that or usual assault with the maid or slapping your wife

maybe its time for him to get traded to the portland jailblazers i mean trailblazers, who humourously drafted a guy named travis outlaw, which should have been a story that made it to the lighter side of the news

:tsk:

But he didn't do it, right? They never do... Of course there's always the possibility that he's innocent, but I am so :censored: tired of these spoiled, egomaniacal athletes who think they can get away w/ anything

:down:

MrsSpringsteen said:
:tsk:

But he didn't do it, right? They never do... Of course there's always the possibility that he's innocent, but I am so :censored: tired of these spoiled, egomaniacal athletes who think they can get away w/ anything

:down:

So am I. If they screw up they should pay the way the rest of us do. But so often they don't. :censored: :censored: :censored:

someone from the magic and now damon stoudamire (again) have now been arrested for other alleged infractions on society

what a nightmare weekend for nba pr...or maybe they thrive on it.

they thrive on it, but remember this could also be someone going after him because he is a famous person.

I think not, however

Why would Kobe ever need to do such a thing? Women are helpless to resist a tall athletic man who speaks fluent Italian.

I actually think Kobe will be exonerated, nobody has anything bad to say about the guy, other than the fact they may think hes egotistical (which I think is true). Bottom line is its too early to pass judgement on the man, and while many athletes in the past have done similar things and claimed thier innocence and ended up guilty, if one athlete deserves the benefit of the doubt its probably Kobe. The media does have a tendency to run unproven stories and run and run and run......

I guess we will just have to wait and see.....

Frank the Tank said:
the whole thing is a set up so he can get more "street rep" so he can get a bigger deal from Nike

LOL!! Yeah, this must be his way of dealing with LeBron's $120M endorsement deals.

Not enough street cred my ass. He's a stone cold p.i.m.p.!!

interesting developments. so he did have sex with the girl. he admitted to adultry. :| :down:

[q]Kobe acknowledges adultery, plans to plead not guilty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

EAGLE, Colo. -- Kobe Bryant was charged Friday with sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman in a case bound to tarnish the career of one of the NBA's brightest young superstars.

Bryant denied the charge, fighting back tears at a news conference in Los Angeles and saying he was guilty only of adultery.

"I didn't force her to do anything against her will. I'm innocent," he said, sitting next to his wife, Vanessa. "I sit here in front of you guys furious at myself, disgusted at myself for making a mistake of adultery."

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert announced that sexual assault charges have been filed against Kobe Bryant.

The 24-year-old Los Angeles Lakers guard could face four years to life in prison if convicted of the single felony count, Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said.

Hurlbert said Bryant forced the victim into "submission" through physical force but refused to disclose other details.

The woman worked the front desk at the exclusive spa where Bryant was staying while in the state for knee surgery. Hurlbert said she would not be made available for comment.

Bryant, free on $25,000 bail, must return to court in Eagle on Aug. 6 for a hearing.

Bryant's attorney, Pamela Mackey, said he will plead innocent.

Speaking at Bryant's news conference at the Lakers' arena, Mackey said the defense will be that the sexual encounter was "between two consenting adults."

Bryant needed several seconds to compose himself before speaking, and his voice quivered once he started. His wife, who had their first child in January, held his right hand.

"I love my wife with all my heart. She's my backbone," he said, turning to her.

Earlier, Vanessa Bryant released a statement, saying she stood by her husband. "He is not a criminal," she said.

The case has riveted the sports world for nearly two weeks because it involves one of the NBA's most magnetic stars. Bryant has also used his clean image to land lucrative endorsement contracts.

Charging Text
Text of the official document concerning charges against Kobe Bryant:

State of Colorado, County of Eagle against Kobe Bean Bryant

Mark D. Hurlbert, District Attorney in and for the Fifth Judicial District of the State of Colorado, in the name and by the authority of the People of the State of Colorado informs the Court:

COUNT 1: that on or about the 30th day of June, 2003, in the said County of Eagle, State of Colorado KOBE BEAN BRYANT, unlawfully feloniously, and knowingly inflicted sexual intrusion or sexual penetration on (omission) causing submission of the victim by means of sufficient consequence reasonably calculated to cause submission against victim's will.

Further the defendant caused submission of the victim through the actual application of physical force or physical violence, in violation of section 18-3-402 (1) (a), (4) (a), C.R.S; against the peace and dignity of the People of the State of Colorado, in violation of C.R.S. 18-3-402 (1)(a), (4)(a), as amended, (F3).

SEXUAL ASSAULT-OVERCOME VICTIM'S WILL. Penalty 4 years up to life in the Department of Corrections, 20 years up to life if Probation impose pursuant to 18-1.3-1004 C.R.S. And possible fine of $3,000 to $750,000.

Respectfully submitted this 18th day of July 2003.

Mark D. Hurlbert, District Attorney.

- Associated Press

Just last month, he signed a multimillion-dollar sneaker deal with Nike to go with contracts he already had with Sprite, McDonald's and Spalding.

The case also raises questions about Bryant's summer plans and whether he will be able to play with the U.S. Olympic qualifying team, which begins practice Aug. 10 in New York.

The Lakers start practice in October for the 2003-04 season.

"Naturally, we're disappointed with today's announcement," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. "While there are many questions concerning this issue, we will wait for time and the judicial process to answer them."

NBA commissioner David Stern said the league would have no comment until the case is settled.

"As with all allegations of a criminal nature, the NBA's policy is to await the outcome of a judicial proceeding before taking any action," he said. "We do not anticipate making further comments during the pendency of the judicial process."

Hurlbert, who took office in December, said he consulted prosecutors around the state and pored over physical evidence and testimony before making his decision.

"This did not come easily," he said.

Bryant is accused of assaulting the woman June 30 at the gated Lodge & Spa at Cordillera in nearby Edwards. Bryant, who was having surgery in Vail, arrived at the lodge that day.

Eagle County sheriff's deputies took Bryant to Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs for tests early July 2, later letting him leave in a taxi with his bodyguards.

The woman also underwent tests, and Hurlbert has said he needed information from the state crime lab before making his decision.

Bryant surrendered to authorities July 4 and was released an hour later after posting bond.

The arrest was announced July 6, prompting a firestorm of media attention on this small mountain town 100 miles west of Denver.

Reporters have swamped the cul-de-sac where the woman lives with her parents, but she has said nothing publicly. Her family has consulted an attorney, who referred all questions to the prosecutor.

The woman is well-known in Eagle as a former high school cheerleader and talented musician who auditioned for "American Idol" last year.

The news stunned basketball fans: Bryant, a five-time All-Star who has already won three titles with the Lakers, is by most accounts a quiet man who prefers dinner with a few friends to joining teammates for a night on the town.

"Oh, no," said Patricia Brewer, who heard the news at LA's Staples Center, where her daughter was to play in a basketball game later in the day. "I love him so much and I'll still keep an open mind and hope that this is all a mistake.

"But you know, if it's true, then he's just another man masquerading as a family man, fooling us all, and that just makes your heart sink."

Legal experts said the case could come down to witnesses.

"When you start with both people saying there was sex an enormous amount of the evidence doesn't matter anymore," said Larry Pozner, former president of National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. "Did anyone hear anything unusual. Was her clothing torn? Was he bruised, was she bruised? These become critical."

Loyola University law school professor Laurie Levenson said if the case goes to trial, a jury might feel a personal connection to Bryant, just as they did in the O.J. Simpson murder trial.

"As a celebrity he comes in with a super presumption of innocence," she said. "Any defendant whom the public knows by his first name, their reaction is, 'No, not Kobe.' You will come in with jurors thinking, 'We don't want him to have done it."'

Sports marketing experts said the case will be a permanent blow to Bryant's image and could cost him millions in lost endorsements.

"The image was of a perfect role model, a superstar athlete who didn't have a parking ticket, the all-American boy and now, well, that image is tarnished," said Bob Williams, chief executive of Burns Sports & Celebrities Inc. in Evanston, Ill.

"As of today and until the trial, his image is going to take a beating."

Last fall, Williams' firm commissioned a poll that listed Bryant as the third-best product endorser in sports, behind Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan.

Bryant entered the NBA in 1996 at age 18, straight out of high school. He has drawn comparisons to the league's greatest players and helped Los Angeles win titles from 2000-02.

Along with his determination, Bryant has also shown class, something many fans feel are missing from other NBA stars. He wept when the Lakers were eliminated from the playoffs by San Antonio in May, and he wore his hospital ID bracelet in a game the day after his daughter was born.

He married Vanessa Laine in April 2001. The two met on the set of a music video where Laine was working, and got engaged while she was still in high school. Vanessa gave birth to their first child, Natalia Diamante Bryant, in January.

The Associated Press contributed to this report[/q]

Interesting that he admitted his "adultery" publicly only after the DNA evidence existed-I wonder when he told his wife.

I will of course wait to see the evidence, but I think this "squeaky clean" image stuff is a load of crap. After all, didn't MJ have that image before all the revelations about all of his affairs and gambling? The DA says they have the evidence, and I don't think they would have filed if they didn't. His lawyers are already saying it was a "rush to judgment" -gee, that sounds familiar :rolleyes:

This girl will be destroyed by all of his high powered lawyers and by the media. They're already portraying her as some sort of "celebrity worshiper" because she tried out for American Idol.

This is a sad situation. I bet the girl will ask for her identity not to be revealed. Kobe is already being tried in the press. I bet he gets off.
I am an avid listener of AM 670 the Score in Chicago. This morning one of the on air personalities continuously stated that the girl went to Kobe's hotel room at 11 pm and what did she think was going to happen. If I wasn't jogging at the time I would have called him and ripped him a new :censored: Anyway, what made me more sad is that no caller challenged this P.O.V. What the hell are we coming to?

WildHoneyAlways said:
This morning one of the on air personalities continuously stated that the girl went to Kobe's hotel room at 11 pm and what did she think was going to happen.

what the fuck!? I hate hearing that type of judgement from people. please so that justifies a girl/guy being raped? :down: yeah i too would have wanted to call and bitch at the DJ for that remark. :rant:

WildHoneyAlways said:
I am an avid listener of AM 670 the Score in Chicago.
Sorry :hug:

:wink:

Anyway............I wanted to say that the media coverage of this is KILLING me. Why do they have three billion TV trucks in Colorado right now, and why are they interviewing the girl's friends. These poor 18/19 year girls are getting asked the DUMBEST FUCKING question you could ever present to a 18/19 year old friend of a potential rape victim. I hate the television newscasters.

DO WE REALLY NEED THIS MUCH INFO?

This kind of reminds me of the Mike Tyson thing. As a girl I'll be the first to say if you go to a guy's hotel room alone at 1-2 AM that is taken as a 'yes' and anything that happens to you, you probably deserve. A guy cannot say that without sounding sexist, so someone had to. No I haven't gone to any hotel rooms, and that is why!

I don't know the whole story so I won't judge her too much, but it is possible in some cases that the girl originally wanted it, then got ashamed of what others would think and covered her butt by framing him, knowing everyone would believe the poor victimized girl. It's very hard to believe a rich famous person with so much to lose would have done something so stupid, he must have felt at the time he could trust her. If he was going to rape someone, why her? She must have given him reason to believe she was interested and it was okay. Also because he's rich there could be extortion involved. Don't bash me until all the facts are out, just give the guy the benefit of the doubt in the meantime. I'm not saying he's an angel and couldn't have done it, just that maybe it's not as it seems. I am sorry for his wife:(

Last edited:
Kobes career is forever tarnished, its a shame, he should have thought about it, what a stupid stupid thing to do.

I originally stated that I thought he would be found innocent and should be given the benefit of the doubt, boy was that wrong!

If he is found guilty, he should be in prison, if he is innocent he should still feel like an ass. To cheat on his wife in that way is very very hard to forgive. He should be ashamed. Thats one thing that gets lost in the shuffle with the whole Magic Johnson HIV thing, nobody wishes a horrible disease on anyone. But it was as a result of him being very promiscuious and sleeping with many women while he was married.

But now, hes a hero! i dont get it

U2Kitten said:
As a girl I'll be the first to say if you go to a guy's hotel room alone at 1-2 AM that is taken as a 'yes' and anything that happens to you, you probably deserve.

I'm sorry, but going to a guy's hotel room alone at 1-2 a.m. does NOT mean you "deserve" to be raped. This is the kind of mindset that stigmitizes rape victims and makes them afraid to seek justice.

Bono's shades said:

I'm sorry, but going to a guy's hotel room alone at 1-2 a.m. does NOT mean you "deserve" to be raped. This is the kind of mindset that stigmitizes rape victims and makes them afraid to seek justice.

Oh come on, that's an old one. I certainly don't feel that way about every rape victim! As a matter of fact, my 14 year old neice and her friend were victims of a creep playing with himself and trying to get them while they were reading at the library. Now they have to testify against him. They are scared. There is no way they 'asked' for it! But I think what this girl did makes you come off as a 'bad girl' and it is a very stupid situation to put yourself in, so I don't have nearly the sympathy for a girl who has done that like I would a girl who was date raped, attacked on the street or had her house broken into and got attacked. It's like walking down a crack infested street at midnight, you aren't 'asking' to be shot, but your chances are a lot greater than if you wisely avoided the situation.

Even though I'm a girl, I feel sorry for guys because it's not always their fault, (of course most time it is, but not always) and as soon as someone brings a charge like this, it's like he's automatically guilty, spit on him, shun him, etc. We cannot rule out the possibility that she did orginally consent to it, or even enjoy it, then change her mind for publicity. We cannot ignore the fact she may be after media attention and money. Who knows, maybe she did it, regretted it, and then set him up to cover her own ass to her parents and boyfriend? As a woman, she is always the one to draw the pity and the PCness, and she has that to her advantage. I can't believe a famous person would have been so stupid to do something like this on purpose, he knew what would happen. That's why I think something more may be involved, and maybe we should withhold judgement, and sympathy, for both Kobe and the girl until we know more. All of us, me included.

But again, the biggest victim here is Kobe's wife, and she is totally innocent and has my deepest sympathies.

Last edited:
I guess the point I'm trying to make is rape victims seem to get treated with a lot more skepticism and sometimes outright hostility than victims of other kinds of crimes. When was the last time you heard people say a murder victim "had it coming" to him/her because they were in a bad part of town when it happened? When was the last time you heard people say someone "deserved" to get robbed because he/she left the door unlocked?

I'm not saying this woman isn't making a false accusation. Maybe she is. And in this case I can see why people might be a bit skeptical, simply because Kobe Bryant's public image is about as far from Mike Tyson's as you can possibly get (of course public images can be misleading, as we are beginning to find out seeing as he did admit to cheating on his wife). If she truly is making her story up I hope she is charged with giving false information to authorities or whatever the charge is for that. I just have issues with people saying a rape victim is somehow less deserving of sympathy because she went to a man's room alone, she was drunk, she was dressed provacatively, she was in a bad part of town, etc. I'm not saying those are smart things to do, but who hasn't done something stupid at one time or another in their life?

there is no excuse for being raped!!!!! i don't care what you are wearing or where you are. :down: that movie that Jody Foster was in a few years back was an excellent movie about raped victims.

i guess i am a lucky person that i have not been raped by hanging out in hotel rooms passed 1AM with guys. however maybe it has to do with the fact that both parties were respectful and not horny enough to attack eachother. :up:

Back
Top Bottom