NBA Basketball 2009-10: The Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:21 AM
NBA Basketball 2009-10: The Thread

Alright, kids, the 2009-10 NBA season tips off this Tuesday evening, which means it's time to start anew - the other thread can be locked.

Will the Los Angeles Lakers, with the addition of Ron Artest and sans Trevor Ariza be able to repeat? Will they be better with Artest than with Ariza?

Will the Boston Celtics be able to get back to the top and win their second title in three years with a fully-healed KG back on board a bench re-loaded with Rasheed Wallace and Marquis Daniels?

Will the acquisition of Richard Jefferson and the drafting of DeJuan Blair(who has put up pretty decent pre-season number of 13.9/7.9/1.9spg on .594FG%) give the San Antonio Spurs enough juice to make another run?

Will the Orlando Magic improve with Vince Carter replacing Hedo Turkoglu and the acquisition of Jason Williams? Will they make the finals again?

Will the Cleveland Cavaliers be able to finally win a championship in LeBron's contract year?

Will the acquisition of Shawn Marion be enough to make the Mavs a legitimate threat in the playoffs?

Was the Denver Nuggets' 2008-09 success, spurred by Chauncy Billups, a fluke, or will they be in the mix again?

Will Blake Griffen live up to expectations, will he win ROY and/or will he look like a legitimate franchise big man? Will he have any competition at all for ROY?

Will the Memphis Grizzlies, with the additions of Allen Iverson and Zach Randolph, make some noise(aka the playoffs) or will they be a disaster?

Will the New York Knicks do anything this season other than bide their time waiting for their chance at LeBron?

Will the Oklahoma City Thunder, with all of their young talent(Durant, Green, Westbrook, newly-drafted James Harden), have a breakout season and make some noise?

Will the Portland Trail Blazers, with the addition of Andre Miller, keep improving and finish a top 3 seed? Will they pose a threat to anybody in the playoffs? Will Greg Oden look better this year?

Will the New Orleans Hornets, having dealt Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor, be an improved team?

Will Carlos Boozer be on the Jazz roster after the deadline, or will he be moved to give Paul Milsap the starting spot?

And finally...this season will be somewhat overshadowed by the specter of the mythical, much-hyped, long-anticipated free-agency class of 2010. So, without further ado...

Will this be LeBron James' final season with the Cleveland Cavaliers?

Will this be Dwyane Wade's final season with the Miami Heat?

Will this be Chris Bosh's final season with the Toronto Raptors?

Will this be Amare Stoudamire's final season with the Phoenix Suns?

Will this be Joe Johnson's final season with the Atlanta Hawks?

Discuss these and other questions and make all the predictions you want as we kick off another season.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:21 AM
Will the Los Angeles Lakers, with the addition of Ron Artest and sans Trevor Ariza be able to repeat? Will they be better with Artest than with Ariza?

only if the celtics aren't healthy. yes, they will be better.

Will the Boston Celtics be able to get back to the top and win their second title in three years with a fully-healed KG back on board a bench re-loaded with Rasheed Wallace and Marquis Daniels?

if they can all stay healthy, yes.

Will the acquisition of Richard Jefferson and the drafting of DeJuan Blair(who has put up pretty decent pre-season number of 13.9/7.9/1.9spg on .594FG%) give the San Antonio Spurs enough juice to make another run?

lose in conference finals to lakers

Will the Orlando Magic improve with Vince Carter replacing Hedo Turkoglu and the acquisition of Jason Williams? Will they make the finals again?

no... carter's a better player, but a worse fit. hedo did more of the dirty work. jason williams is done. the only way orlando will be better is if dwight howard takes the next step and becomes a full fleged dominant offensive force. if he does that they could be the best team in the NBA. if he doesn't and shows minimal to no offensive improvement, then they'll actually be a little worse than last year/

Will the Cleveland Cavaliers be able to finally win a championship in LeBron's contract year?

no

Will the acquisition of Shawn Marion be enough to make the Mavs a legitimate threat in the playoffs?

shaun marion is incredibly over-rated and a product of mike d'antoni and steve nash. no

Was the Denver Nuggets' 2008-09 success, spurred by Chauncy Billups, a fluke, or will they be in the mix again?

not a fluke. they'll be in the mix. second round playoff loss to either LA or San Antonio (provided duncan stays healthy)

Will Blake Griffen live up to expectations, will he win ROY and/or will he look like a legitimate franchise big man? Will he have any competition at all for ROY?

yes, he is the real deal, and will eventually live up to expectations... but while he's my favorite for rookie of the year, the fact that he's on the clippers doesn't make him a lock for me. jonny flynn would be my darkhorse.[/b]

Will the Memphis Grizzlies, with the additions of Allen Iverson and Zach Randolph, make some noise(aka the playoffs) or will they be a disaster?

complete utter disaster

Will the New York Knicks do anything this season other than bide their time waiting for their chance at LeBron?

best case scenario - .500 record, 7th seed. worst case scenario - 35 wins, miss playoffs by 4-5 games. do expect at least one more contract to be shed before season ends.

Will the Oklahoma City Thunder, with all of their young talent(Durant, Green, Westbrook, newly-drafted James Harden), have a breakout season and make some noise?

no. not yet.

Will the Portland Trail Blazers, with the addition of Andre Miller, keep improving and finish a top 3 seed? Will they pose a threat to anybody in the playoffs? Will Greg Oden look better this year?

4th best team in the west. potential dark horse to get to the conference finals. greg oden blows.

Will the New Orleans Hornets, having dealt Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor, be an improved team?

no.

Will Carlos Boozer be on the Jazz roster after the deadline, or will he be moved to give Paul Milsap the starting spot?

he will be in utah, chillin' with db9

And finally...this season will be somewhat overshadowed by the specter of the mythical, much-hyped, long-anticipated free-agency class of 2010. So, without further ado...

yes

no

yes

yes

yes

celtics over lakers in classic 7 game series.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Only if they learn how to share the ball...I do wonder how Kobe, Pau, Artest, Odom, and Bynum will all get their shots...Ok, maybe not Bynum.

It all depends on KG's health. I think so and I think KG will be fine. I hate Rondo

Jefferson makes them a contender. But...it depends on Tim Duncan's health. I think this team will be competitive, but not near as good as the Lakers. Also, I've always been a bit weary of Pre-Season numbers. It goes back to late 1990's or early 2000's when Sam Mack was playing for either the Rockets or the Grizzlies. Yup, he lead the NBA pre-season in scoring. Remember Sam Mack?

I think they will be better. I actually think they could be better than the Cavs. Jameer Nelson is back, Carter will care because he's on a contender, and there's a guy named Howard...I heard he likes to shoot layups. Watch out for Ryan Anderson.

No. Shaq is too big and LeBron won't be able to drive to the basket as easily. I do like a couple things though. First, Shaq isn't the guy he used to be, but he is still better than Z. And the addition of Anthony Parker. Again, he isn't a star, but he's better than Sasha Pavlovic and Wally Szerbiak combined.

Depends on chemistry. I do think it will make them better. Kidd to Marion is intriguing. But it really depends on Dirk come playoff time. And his hair is looking so nice...

I saw a stat somewhere on this thing called the internet. It showed George Karl's history and it showed that after a year like last year, his team follows with down year. They will make the playoffs because Carmelo and Billups are there.

If he stays healthy, he has ROY wrapped up. I think he's going to have a good year. I think Eric Gordon is going to have a really good year. I do like Jonny Flynn too.

I hadn't really thought about them, but...Interesting team. I don't like Randolph and I don't really know where Iverson will be able to fit in. But they have talent. The other Gasol and Thabeet bring size. They could be a late playoff team...but I don't think so.

Yes, they will run and make the playoffs because the east is that bad.

Not Yet.

Nope, 5th or 6th seed...Oden will be in foul trouble alot. But I think he'll have a better season...which wouldn't take much.

Yes. Okafor needs to become...and then stay healthy. But, amazingly, he has more offensive moves than Chandler does. What I mean is, you can pass him the ball and he may make a (simple/uncoordinated) move. Chandler scores only off alley-oops and Offensive Rebounds.

If anyone wants him, Boozer is gone. Last year, Deron Williams was hurt to start the season and started slow. He's healthy now...watch out. The Jazz will miss my boy Korver.

No

no

yes

yes

No

LA over Boston in 6
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

yes, he is the real deal, and will eventually live up to expectations... but while he's my favorite for rookie of the year, the fact that he's on the clippers doesn't make him a lock for me. jonny flynn would be my darkhorse.
sometimes i don't like being right.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- Blake Griffin's NBA debut has been pushed back indefinitely after the Los Angeles Clippers revealed late Monday night that their No. 1 overall draft pick has a broken left kneecap.

The stress fracture could sideline the Oklahoma star for six weeks, the team announced, promising further information Tuesday.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Ouch.
Probably from chasing the ESPN RV.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

van gundy!!! :shakesangryfist:

meanwhile... shaq may be a shell of his former self physically, but that wit is still very much in tact...

Quote:
Shaquille O'Neal has been many big things (Aristotle, Pythagorean Theorem, Cactus) in many places since 1992 when he arrived in Orlando wearing mouse ears. Of course, before this none of the places ever got snow, to say nothing of sleet and freezing rain.

Now, the Big Rust Belt?

"I'm just here," O'Neal said Monday, still trying out motifs. "So far, everyone likes the Big Witness Protection Program."
Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:21 AM
I'm ready. You're ready. This guy's ready:

Let's do this.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

The season hasn't even started yet, and already the Celtics lose someone.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Nice of them to give no indication of what length of suspension he's looking at. Ainge's "it looks like he's going to be out for a while" is it.

And how did I only just now learn the Celts got Marquis Daniels?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
I'm ready. You're ready. This guy's ready:

Let's do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy View Post
In no other sport can horrible officiating overshadow the game itself. I'm done. I'm fucking done. I love the Mavs. I love everyone involved in the franchise. But I can't support this league. As of right now, I'm not watching the NBA anymore.
Had a change of heart?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Really excited to watch some NBA tonight. This should be a fun year.

Go Bulls.

(And Lakers, to an extent.)
Old 10-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Had a change of heart?
Ha, I had a feeling that would be called back up. I went on a 5 month hiatus... So, uh, yeah. Let's just call it a kneejerk, stupid reaction. But I did keep true to my word for the rest of the playoffs, not watching the rest of the semis, conference finals, or Finals.

I can still support the Mavericks and be pissed at the league. Hopefully all the off season shenanigans with the refs will pay dividends. But after cooling off, it's easy to stay that I still love the game of basketball and still want it to be a part of my sports life.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

i really think the Bucks have a shot at the championship this year.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:21 PM
Tip Off Tonight!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Holy shit, Lebron just made Rondo look silly. That was awesome.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Danny Ainge did the same thing to him all summer.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:21 PM
I hate being at work while these games are on, stupid Time Difference.

C'mon C's!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Holy shit, Lebron just made Rondo look silly. That was awesome.
He who laughs last...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well, that was disappointing, but not entirely unanticipated.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I keep waiting for LeBron to MJ the Cavs, but it just doesn't seem to be happening... I definitely found myself stunned by the outcome of this game. I can't wrap my head around this, but I will tell you this--even though I WILL (not would) kill him when I next see him, Rondo is a better point guard than D-Rose. Fact.