NBA Basketball 2009-10: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Alright, kids, the 2009-10 NBA season tips off this Tuesday evening, which means it's time to start anew - the other thread can be locked.

Will the Los Angeles Lakers, with the addition of Ron Artest and sans Trevor Ariza be able to repeat? Will they be better with Artest than with Ariza?

Will the Boston Celtics be able to get back to the top and win their second title in three years with a fully-healed KG back on board a bench re-loaded with Rasheed Wallace and Marquis Daniels?

Will the acquisition of Richard Jefferson and the drafting of DeJuan Blair(who has put up pretty decent pre-season number of 13.9/7.9/1.9spg on .594FG%) give the San Antonio Spurs enough juice to make another run?

Will the Orlando Magic improve with Vince Carter replacing Hedo Turkoglu and the acquisition of Jason Williams? Will they make the finals again?

Will the Cleveland Cavaliers be able to finally win a championship in LeBron's contract year?

Will the acquisition of Shawn Marion be enough to make the Mavs a legitimate threat in the playoffs?

Was the Denver Nuggets' 2008-09 success, spurred by Chauncy Billups, a fluke, or will they be in the mix again?

Will Blake Griffen live up to expectations, will he win ROY and/or will he look like a legitimate franchise big man? Will he have any competition at all for ROY?

Will the Memphis Grizzlies, with the additions of Allen Iverson and Zach Randolph, make some noise(aka the playoffs) or will they be a disaster?

Will the New York Knicks do anything this season other than bide their time waiting for their chance at LeBron?

Will the Oklahoma City Thunder, with all of their young talent(Durant, Green, Westbrook, newly-drafted James Harden), have a breakout season and make some noise?

Will the Portland Trail Blazers, with the addition of Andre Miller, keep improving and finish a top 3 seed? Will they pose a threat to anybody in the playoffs? Will Greg Oden look better this year?

Will the New Orleans Hornets, having dealt Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor, be an improved team?

Will Carlos Boozer be on the Jazz roster after the deadline, or will he be moved to give Paul Milsap the starting spot?

And finally...this season will be somewhat overshadowed by the specter of the mythical, much-hyped, long-anticipated free-agency class of 2010. So, without further ado...

Will this be LeBron James' final season with the Cleveland Cavaliers?

Will this be Dwyane Wade's final season with the Miami Heat?

Will this be Chris Bosh's final season with the Toronto Raptors?

Will this be Amare Stoudamire's final season with the Phoenix Suns?

Will this be Joe Johnson's final season with the Atlanta Hawks?

Discuss these and other questions and make all the predictions you want as we kick off another season.

Will the Los Angeles Lakers, with the addition of Ron Artest and sans Trevor Ariza be able to repeat? Will they be better with Artest than with Ariza?

only if the celtics aren't healthy. yes, they will be better.

Will the Boston Celtics be able to get back to the top and win their second title in three years with a fully-healed KG back on board a bench re-loaded with Rasheed Wallace and Marquis Daniels?

if they can all stay healthy, yes.

Will the acquisition of Richard Jefferson and the drafting of DeJuan Blair(who has put up pretty decent pre-season number of 13.9/7.9/1.9spg on .594FG%) give the San Antonio Spurs enough juice to make another run?

lose in conference finals to lakers

Will the Orlando Magic improve with Vince Carter replacing Hedo Turkoglu and the acquisition of Jason Williams? Will they make the finals again?

no... carter's a better player, but a worse fit. hedo did more of the dirty work. jason williams is done. the only way orlando will be better is if dwight howard takes the next step and becomes a full fleged dominant offensive force. if he does that they could be the best team in the NBA. if he doesn't and shows minimal to no offensive improvement, then they'll actually be a little worse than last year/

Will the Cleveland Cavaliers be able to finally win a championship in LeBron's contract year?

no

Will the acquisition of Shawn Marion be enough to make the Mavs a legitimate threat in the playoffs?

shaun marion is incredibly over-rated and a product of mike d'antoni and steve nash. no

Was the Denver Nuggets' 2008-09 success, spurred by Chauncy Billups, a fluke, or will they be in the mix again?

not a fluke. they'll be in the mix. second round playoff loss to either LA or San Antonio (provided duncan stays healthy)

Will Blake Griffen live up to expectations, will he win ROY and/or will he look like a legitimate franchise big man? Will he have any competition at all for ROY?

yes, he is the real deal, and will eventually live up to expectations... but while he's my favorite for rookie of the year, the fact that he's on the clippers doesn't make him a lock for me. jonny flynn would be my darkhorse.[/b]

Will the Memphis Grizzlies, with the additions of Allen Iverson and Zach Randolph, make some noise(aka the playoffs) or will they be a disaster?

complete utter disaster

Will the New York Knicks do anything this season other than bide their time waiting for their chance at LeBron?

best case scenario - .500 record, 7th seed. worst case scenario - 35 wins, miss playoffs by 4-5 games. do expect at least one more contract to be shed before season ends.

Will the Oklahoma City Thunder, with all of their young talent(Durant, Green, Westbrook, newly-drafted James Harden), have a breakout season and make some noise?

no. not yet.

Will the Portland Trail Blazers, with the addition of Andre Miller, keep improving and finish a top 3 seed? Will they pose a threat to anybody in the playoffs? Will Greg Oden look better this year?

4th best team in the west. potential dark horse to get to the conference finals. greg oden blows.

Will the New Orleans Hornets, having dealt Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor, be an improved team?

no.

Will Carlos Boozer be on the Jazz roster after the deadline, or will he be moved to give Paul Milsap the starting spot?

he will be in utah, chillin' with db9

And finally...this season will be somewhat overshadowed by the specter of the mythical, much-hyped, long-anticipated free-agency class of 2010. So, without further ado...

yes

no

yes

yes

yes

celtics over lakers in classic 7 game series.

Only if they learn how to share the ball...I do wonder how Kobe, Pau, Artest, Odom, and Bynum will all get their shots...Ok, maybe not Bynum.

It all depends on KG's health. I think so and I think KG will be fine. I hate Rondo

Jefferson makes them a contender. But...it depends on Tim Duncan's health. I think this team will be competitive, but not near as good as the Lakers. Also, I've always been a bit weary of Pre-Season numbers. It goes back to late 1990's or early 2000's when Sam Mack was playing for either the Rockets or the Grizzlies. Yup, he lead the NBA pre-season in scoring. Remember Sam Mack?

I think they will be better. I actually think they could be better than the Cavs. Jameer Nelson is back, Carter will care because he's on a contender, and there's a guy named Howard...I heard he likes to shoot layups. Watch out for Ryan Anderson.

No. Shaq is too big and LeBron won't be able to drive to the basket as easily. I do like a couple things though. First, Shaq isn't the guy he used to be, but he is still better than Z. And the addition of Anthony Parker. Again, he isn't a star, but he's better than Sasha Pavlovic and Wally Szerbiak combined.

Depends on chemistry. I do think it will make them better. Kidd to Marion is intriguing. But it really depends on Dirk come playoff time. And his hair is looking so nice...

I saw a stat somewhere on this thing called the internet. It showed George Karl's history and it showed that after a year like last year, his team follows with down year. They will make the playoffs because Carmelo and Billups are there.

If he stays healthy, he has ROY wrapped up. I think he's going to have a good year. I think Eric Gordon is going to have a really good year. I do like Jonny Flynn too.

I hadn't really thought about them, but...Interesting team. I don't like Randolph and I don't really know where Iverson will be able to fit in. But they have talent. The other Gasol and Thabeet bring size. They could be a late playoff team...but I don't think so.

Yes, they will run and make the playoffs because the east is that bad.

Not Yet.

Nope, 5th or 6th seed...Oden will be in foul trouble alot. But I think he'll have a better season...which wouldn't take much.

Yes. Okafor needs to become...and then stay healthy. But, amazingly, he has more offensive moves than Chandler does. What I mean is, you can pass him the ball and he may make a (simple/uncoordinated) move. Chandler scores only off alley-oops and Offensive Rebounds.

If anyone wants him, Boozer is gone. Last year, Deron Williams was hurt to start the season and started slow. He's healthy now...watch out. The Jazz will miss my boy Korver.

No

no

yes

yes

No

LA over Boston in 6

yes, he is the real deal, and will eventually live up to expectations... but while he's my favorite for rookie of the year, the fact that he's on the clippers doesn't make him a lock for me. jonny flynn would be my darkhorse.

sometimes i don't like being right.

LOS ANGELES -- Blake Griffin's NBA debut has been pushed back indefinitely after the Los Angeles Clippers revealed late Monday night that their No. 1 overall draft pick has a broken left kneecap.

The stress fracture could sideline the Oklahoma star for six weeks, the team announced, promising further information Tuesday.

van gundy!!! :shakesangryfist:

meanwhile... shaq may be a shell of his former self physically, but that wit is still very much in tact...

Shaquille O'Neal has been many big things (Aristotle, Pythagorean Theorem, Cactus) in many places since 1992 when he arrived in Orlando wearing mouse ears. Of course, before this none of the places ever got snow, to say nothing of sleet and freezing rain.

Now, the Big Rust Belt?

"I'm just here," O'Neal said Monday, still trying out motifs. "So far, everyone likes the Big Witness Protection Program."

I'm ready. You're ready. This guy's ready:

29mpoae.jpg

Let's do this.

Nice of them to give no indication of what length of suspension he's looking at. Ainge's "it looks like he's going to be out for a while" is it.

And how did I only just now learn the Celts got Marquis Daniels?

I'm ready. You're ready. This guy's ready:

Let's do this.

In no other sport can horrible officiating overshadow the game itself. I'm done. I'm fucking done. I love the Mavs. I love everyone involved in the franchise. But I can't support this league. As of right now, I'm not watching the NBA anymore.

Had a change of heart?

Really excited to watch some NBA tonight. This should be a fun year.

Go Bulls.

(And Lakers, to an extent.)

Had a change of heart?

Ha, I had a feeling that would be called back up. I went on a 5 month hiatus... So, uh, yeah. Let's just call it a kneejerk, stupid reaction. But I did keep true to my word for the rest of the playoffs, not watching the rest of the semis, conference finals, or Finals.

I can still support the Mavericks and be pissed at the league. Hopefully all the off season shenanigans with the refs will pay dividends. But after cooling off, it's easy to stay that I still love the game of basketball and still want it to be a part of my sports life.

I keep waiting for LeBron to MJ the Cavs, but it just doesn't seem to be happening... I definitely found myself stunned by the outcome of this game. I can't wrap my head around this, but I will tell you this--even though I WILL (not would) kill him when I next see him, Rondo is a better point guard than D-Rose. Fact.

Rondo is a better point guard than D-Rose. Fact.

Seems a bit of a strange declaration to make without having even see Rose step on the court for his 2nd season in the league. Not saying you're wrong, but I'd maybe wait a little while before locking yourself into that statement.

Rondo has a couple of years experience on Rose, too. So, yeah, let's let Derrick at least get past his rookie season before we know exactly where stands amongst the league's point guards.

Also, it seems Sasha's haircut isn't paying early dividends as the Lake Show is strugglin right now against their inner city rivals.

Absolutely. The future is bright.

Man, that was a lot of fun watchin those games tonight. NBA, how I have missed you so.

Peja, Yi Jianlian, and Travis Outlaw are available in my fantasy league...the first two on waivers, the latter as FA.

Are any of them worth dropping any of Louis Williams, Kirk Hinrich, Shane Battier, or Wilson Chandler for?

Outlaw had a good game tonight, across the board. Maybe it's his breakout year. Yi is always a risk, and I'm not exactly desperate for a big man(got Bosh, Okur, Horford, and Noah). I could use Peja's 3PT, but he doesn't give much else and there's no guarantee on his health.

if anyone knows of a site with odds on coaches getting canned that i can bet on, i'd like to put some cash on mike brown.

it took one posession of last night's game for me to say to myself "wow... this shaq & lebron thing is going to work out much worse than i even thought"

the cavs have no offense... they just stand around and watch lebron go 1v1, or rather, 1v5. it's awful to watch. yes, they will win 50+ games largely on the rather broad shoulders of lebron... but this team can not win a title.

and shaq is next to useless... he can not do anything with the pick and roll, be it on offense or defense (especially on defense). he just takes up space in an already stagnant offense.

here's about 10 minutes of action from the 3rd quarter found on youtube...

YouTube - Boston Celtics vs Cleveland Cavaliers 10-27-09 PART 8

when the celtics run their half court sets, everyone is moving...no one is standing still. even on post entries, the weak side player exchange, if for no other reason than to move the defense, making it harder for them to colapse on the post and still be able to recover to their man. when the cavs have the ball on offense, everyone's standing still... making it easier for the defense to sag into the lane. everyone just stands around watching lebron. when your offense is stagnant you pretty much rely 100% on the skill of your players to get it done. it's all on their shoulders. and that makes it that much harder to score if your players are having a bad night. if you're offense is in constant motion, at the very least, even when you're having an off night you might be able to pick up some easy baskets, some good looks, some open shots... something that may spur your offense and turn it around for ya. the celtics have good spacing, good ball movement, good off the ball movement... even on drives, you can see the celtics flattening out for kickouts. the cavs stand still.

the celtics pretty much dominated the game from the middle of the 1st quarter on, outscoring the cavs by 20 points, and will only get better as the season goes along, provided they stay healthy of course. KG will get his legs back, 'Sheed will get back into shape, Big Baby will stop getting beat down by former LSU Tigers and get back in the lineup... and the celtics will be a well oiled machine and a force to reckon with come playoff time. oh, and marquis daniels is a great, great pickup.

one other thing about lebron... the way the rules are today he's just about unguardable. if he played against the 80's celtics & pistons or the 90's knicks, when he made those drives to the basket where he pretty much just lowers his shoulder and barrels through like he was a running back... he'd end up in the hospital. but you can't do that anymore... charles oakley isn't coming over to plant you on your ass anymore. today you'll get a flagrant, ejected and suspended. back then you'd just get a foul. michael jordan developed his jumper not neccesarily because guys could stop him from getting to the basket... he developed it out of survival.

'cause of this change in the way the NBA is played, i still hold jordan in a much higher esteem than i do james, but if lebron ever ends up in a real offensive system with a bonefied second option, he'll come close to jordan's 6 rings, if not passing him one day.

just look at some video of jordan, before he really developed his jumper, playing against the detroit pistons... mind you he was averaging in the high 30's per game at this time, playing much in the same style that lebron plays offensively today.

YouTube - Michael Jordan vs. Piston's Defense (aka: "Jordan Rules")

on the first play alone, jordan gets sent crashing to the floor... today lebron would be shooting, and the player who did the shoving might get a flagrant. then? no call.

this clip is also from the pre phil jackson/tex winters era... when douche'o'rama doug collins was coaching the team... the same doug collins who broadcasted the entire game yesterday with a hard on from watching lebron go 1v5 all game.

My copy of The Book of Basketball came today, which is great because now it gets to spend all night sitting on my desk mocking me while I study and do class work.

Back
Top Bottom