NBA Basketball 2009-10: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Sixers have fucked themselves for the duration of Elton Brand's contract, so why the fuck not? Bring him back, damn it.

You got your wish. Comment?

And if any of you are wondering (and let's be honest, you're not), I'm deathly afraid the Mavericks give the Nyets their first win tonight.

You got your wish. Comment?

And if any of you are wondering (and let's be honest, you're not), I'm deathly afraid the Mavericks give the Nyets their first win tonight.

If they offered Comcast SportsNet in the dorms here, I'd watch again. But alas, they do not. I will follow them more closely, however. I'm a big fan. This team sucks, and the young guys they have don't have much of a future, so it's not in any way fun to follow them as they are right now. I'm very pleased with the move.

Signing Iverson should help sell tix in Philly assuming he still has a little left in the tank.
Games will be more entertaining, they should add a handful of wins, it won't turn them into a playoff team, but it'll make them far more interesting and fun, good short term move for the fans.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm surprised the Sixers don't have really much of anything coming off the books this summer. I guess I missed Iguodala's contract thing last year. Either way, Iverson coming back is certainly a nice move to keep the people in Philly at least mildly interested in a team that won't be any good for a long time, even if he's the answer to a question nobody asked.

See what I did there?

I did ;)

Yeah they have Iguodala's and Dalembert's contracts on their books, as well as the aforementioned Brand.

AI is a true Sixer, I'm glad to see him back there. If this is the end for him I kind of like the idea of him having one of those "holy shit" nights where he just goes crazy and throws in like 45 points, and then hangs it up after the game. I think he still has a game(s) like that in him.

Apparently he'll play his first game on Monday, so he'll be able to practice with the team before suiting up.

See what I did there?

No no no no.

Nothing to fear, my friend. Nothing to fear.

it won't turn them into a playoff team,

They made the playoffs last year. That makes them a playoff team, no? :)

Sure...they are 5-13, but they finished last year right around .500 and made the playoffs. The bottom of the barrel in the east is full of crap. All you have to do is be the best (or second best) of the crap.

No no no no.

Nothing to fear, my friend. Nothing to fear.

Well, with a 27 point halftime lead, I'm feeling a little better. I wasn't as afraid of them losing as I was of the shit I'd have to hear for a while if they did. Sure, they play down to lesser teams plenty (see the Sixers game Monday), but there's no reason to lose to an 0-17 team with an interim head coach and no direction.

The Mavericks scored 77 points in the first half tonight. I'm cool with that.

Well, with a 27 point halftime lead, I'm feeling a little better. I wasn't as afraid of them losing as I was of the shit I'd have to hear for a while if they did. Sure, they play down to lesser teams plenty (see the Sixers game Monday), but there's no reason to lose to an 0-17 team with an interim head coach and no direction.

The Mavericks scored 77 points in the first half tonight. I'm cool with that.

I made sure I checked the score before comforting you.

I want to see how far this streak can be stretched.

Lawrence Frank had a cool .500 head coaching record before the season started. I still think Headache's basketball resume beats Frank's, but Frank should offer some hope to the youngins. Yes, you too can turn a spot as the manager of your college basketball team into $4million a year head coaching position in the NBA. Hell, they guy did not even make his high school team.

Signing Iverson should help sell tix in Philly assuming he still has a little left in the tank.
Games will be more entertaining, they should add a handful of wins, it won't turn them into a playoff team, but it'll make them far more interesting and fun, good short term move for the fans.
Exactly. They have the second worst attendance in the NBA, and right after they signed him, my Facebook home page lit up with comments like "Alright, they have three games during winter break, which are we going to?"

They cannot do a thing until they lose Dalembert (end of this year) and Brand (end of 2013) and their awful deals.

Interestingly, every writer in Philly HATES the move. They're all saying things like, "This ruins the chance for the young guys to develop and this team to improve!" Well, what the team has right now sucks. They just suck. There's no potential for them to compete in the Eastern Conference past the "8 seed getting killed in the first round" status they've become accustomed to. Iguodala, Young, and Williams are not franchise players. They're not All-Stars. They're role players. And those are the three best young talents.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm surprised the Sixers don't have really much of anything coming off the books this summer. I guess I missed Iguodala's contract thing last year. Either way, Iverson coming back is certainly a nice move to keep the people in Philly at least mildly interested in a team that won't be any good for a long time, even if he's the answer to a question nobody asked.

See what I did there?
I did ;)

Yeah they have Iguodala's and Dalembert's contracts on their books, as well as the aforementioned Brand.

AI is a true Sixer, I'm glad to see him back there. If this is the end for him I kind of like the idea of him having one of those "holy shit" nights where he just goes crazy and throws in like 45 points, and then hangs it up after the game. I think he still has a game(s) like that in him.

Apparently he'll play his first game on Monday, so he'll be able to practice with the team before suiting up.

See what I did there?

They freed up most of the bad Billy King moves once Eddie Stefanski got in there (everything but Dalembert), and then had some cap space. But they felt pressure to use it immediately (always bad) and the biggest need at the time was power forward. Brand was the best available, but he also had verbally committed to return to LA, so they had to lure him away with BIG money. The move really didn't make that much sense with the team identity, either. When I talked to Eddie at the end of the 2008 season, he said the biggest thing he was pleased about was how the team was finding an identity for the first time in a long while: a running team. Brand completely conflicted with that identity.

It was a lot of little things that led to an awful, awful contract situation. The saddest part is that the Sixers are better with Brand off the floor.

So the Suns got bitchslapped for the second consecutive game.

I guess it's unanimous now who the best team in the league is.

Also, glad to see Iverson back. I wish him luck.

So the Suns got bitchslapped for the second consecutive game.

I guess it's unanimous now who the best team in the league is.

BostonCeltics.jpg

No one watched that Lakers/Heat game? Really?

I feel like a jackass for turning it off with nine seconds left and the Lakers down four. Of course, I missed clutch 3-pointers by Fisher and Kobe to win the game, the latter a fucking miracle shot if there ever was one.

Unbelievable.

Regardless of how you feel about that, you'll never at any point be as much of a jackass as Kobe is, so feel good about that.

Greg Oden out for the rest of the season with a fractured patella.

To think three years ago people were saying Oden would be the next Shaq.

I think more pegged him as the next Sam Bowie than anything else, but at least Bowie had 2-3 quality seasons before he ultimately fell to injury.

You'd think Portland would want a re-do on that draft.

I think more pegged him as the next Sam Bowie than anything else, but at least Bowie had 2-3 quality seasons before he ultimately fell to injury.

You'd think Portland would want a re-do on that draft.

Looking back, I guess it's a good thing the ping pong balls didn't go Boston's way that night.

of course... his name is Thomas.

meanwhile the knicks have won 4 out of 5 since benching Nate Robinson, including wins over the Suns, the Hawks and the Blazers.

when Nate isn't in the rotation... i.e. less than 20 minutes played per game... the knicks are 7-6 all around, including 4 out of their last 5.

when Nate is a major part of the rotation... i.e. more than 20 minutes per game... the Knicks are 0-9.

:hmm: i think i see a pattern developing here...

Back
Top Bottom