NBA Basketball 2009-10: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you ain't seen nothin' till you've seen the new jersey devils drive around a parking lot and call it a championship parade...

45311680.jpg

Puddy was at the Rose Bowl show...he stood right next to my sister. He was with his kids.

i don't know what i would do if I was at the concert, turned to my side, and found out that I was standing right next to David Puddy.

probably give him a high five. :hmm: yea... high five.

honestly... Puddy was the greatest secondary seinfeld character... better than the soup nazi, better than J Peterman, better even than Keith Hernandez...

well... maybe second best after Newman. ok... scratch that. Puddy was the second best secondary character in Seinfeld history.

LeBron says winning is more important than a max contract when making his decision next summer:

"As a kid I visualized playing for almost every team in the NBA," James said. "Right now, I visualize playing with a lot of guys in the NBA. There are a lot of great individual basketball players that I would love to be alongside of and try to contend for an NBA championship.

"I think at the end of the day, a max deal or anything like that doesn't really matter to me at the end of the day. It's all about winning for me. So I've put myself in a position that when that day comes next summer, I want to win, and if I feel like the team is capable of winning, I'll make my decision like that."

In his lone visit to New York, LeBron James said signing a max deal is not as important as winning, Chris Sheridan writes. - ESPN

If he really meant that, he'd take the MLE with Orlando and win 10 championships in a row with Dwight. Or take the MLE with LA and win 3-5 in a row with Kobe.

But in reality, he's either BS-ing completely, or he's saying that he's open to taking the 5-year new-team max deal as opposed to forcing the Cavs to sign-and-trade him so that he can get the 6-year bird-rights-included actual max deal.

But hey...he didn't sign a max extension in 2006, and he could have, no questions asked...he signed a 3 year extension that made this 2010 hoopla possible, same as Wade, same as Bosh.

LeBron says winning is more important than a max contract when making his decision next summer:

In his lone visit to New York, LeBron James said signing a max deal is not as important as winning, Chris Sheridan writes. - ESPN

If he really meant that, he'd take the MLE with Orlando and win 10 championships in a row with Dwight. Or take the MLE with LA and win 3-5 in a row with Kobe.

But in reality, he's either BS-ing completely, or he's saying that he's open to taking the 5-year new-team max deal as opposed to forcing the Cavs to sign-and-trade him so that he can get the 6-year bird-rights-included actual max deal.

But hey...he didn't sign a max extension in 2006, and he could have, no questions asked...he signed a 3 year extension that made this 2010 hoopla possible, same as Wade, same as Bosh.

I think it would be pretty hilarious if he did try to angle for the sign & trade, and Cleveland let him do the sign part and didn't do the trade.

I wonder if the Cavs are in trouble, or if they just need to develop some chemistry. The way they play, and the way Lebron plays, they're probably a better team with Big Z out there spreading the floor so James can drive to the basket. With Shaq and Anderson Vajayjay in the game the defenders pack into the paint, and James doesn't have room to work.

what does it say about the pathetic state of american basketball and the nba that brandon jennings can't even start for his euroleague team, yet is looking like a star in the NBA?

on the subject...

November 8, 2009
Young, Talented and Unhappy Playing Basketball Overseas
By PETE THAMEL
HAIFA, Israel — Jeremy Tyler came to this scenic city overlooking the Mediterranean as a trailblazer. As the first American basketball player to skip his senior year of high school to play professionally overseas, Tyler signed a $140,000 deal to play for Maccabi Haifa this year. The grand plan revolves around his being a top pick, if not the top pick, in the 2011 N.B.A. draft.

“My mission is to shake David Stern’s hand,” he said.

But after nearly three months of professional basketball in Israel’s top division, Tyler is at a crossroads. Caught in a clash of cultures, distractions and agendas, he appears to be worlds away from a draft-night handshake with Stern, the N.B.A. commissioner.

His coach calls him lazy and out of shape. The team captain says he is soft. His teammates say he needs to learn to shut up and show up on time. He has no friends on the team. In extensive interviews with Tyler, his teammates, coaches, his father and advisers, the consensus is that he is so naïve and immature that he has no idea how naïve and immature he is. So enamored with his vast potential, Tyler has not developed the work ethic necessary to tap it.

“The question is whether he’ll take responsibility of his career,” Haifa Coach Avi Ashkenazi said. “If he thinks he’s going to be in the N.B.A. because his name is Jeremy Tyler and he was a very good high school player, he will not be.”

It is too early to declare Tyler a bust, but it is safe to say that he has transformed from a can’t-miss prospect into a project.

Tyler, 18, said he was still acclimating to a new culture and a more precise style of basketball. The plan for Tyler’s older brother to move here never materialized.

To help him adjust, the Wasserman Media Group sent one of Tyler’s agents, Makhtar Ndiaye, to Israel late last month for an extended stay to help him focus.

Tyler still talks openly about retiring with $200 million in the bank after a 15-year N.B.A. career. He also talks about modeling, the documentary being made about him, and how he and his girlfriend, Erin Wright, the daughter of the rapper Eazy-E, will grow up to be an American power couple.

But he scored just 1 point in his first two games, and his coach was baffled that a player with such great potential could arrive without basic skills like boxing out and rotating on defense. Tyler is lost, Ashkenazi said, if he cannot do what he does best: taking the ball to the rim and dunking.

Jason Rich, an American teammate who was a standout at Florida State, said, “It’s hard to say what exactly is that thing that’s going to wake him up.”

Tyler, a 6-foot-11 center considered the best American big man since Greg Oden, cried when leaving the United States. He missed his first flight because he did not know he needed his passport. He left the locker room in tears after playing just 10 minutes in his first game.

The Milwaukee Bucks rookie Brandon Jennings skipped college and had rocky moments while playing last season in Rome. But they were nothing compared with Tyler’s. Jennings has thrived in the N.B.A., in part humbled and hardened by his overseas experience.

“All he had to do was go and do what Brandon did, shut up and go learn,” said Sonny Vaccaro, an adviser to Tyler and Jennings. “He obviously isn’t doing that. He thinks that he’s Kevin Garnett.”

The culture clash here comes from varied agendas. Tyler is using Haifa as a steppingstone to the N.B.A. The team’s American owner, Jeffrey H. Rosen, signed him in part to help make Maccabi Haifa the preferred destination for American prodigies who want to skip college. Rosen is trying to create a global media presence, with Tyler as the centerpiece. Haifa has a reality television show and an “Inside Israeli Basketball” show on cable channels in the United States.

“Jeremy gives us a brand and recognition, globally and particularly in the U.S., for young players who say, ‘College is not for me, and I know that Haifa is a place where I can get a salary and get trained,’ ” Rosen said, stressing that this was not a one-time move. “Jeremy is not a circus act.”

Stuck between the prodigy’s path and the owner’s vision is Ashkenazi, a hard-nosed Israeli coach unaccustomed to handling the attitude, ego and self-importance of teenage American stars. (Most of his players are Israelis who have completed their mandatory three-year army service.)

“I’m in a terrible position,” Ashkenazi said. “But I’m a worker and employee of Mr. Jeff Rosen. If it’s important to him, our commitment is for that.”

For missing a workout and showing up late to an interview, Tyler was fined $1,000, the largest penalty the team had levied in three years. Tyler said he would be fined $1,000 for each subsequent violation, no matter how small, a sign the team is losing patience.

“These are all men out here,” Rich said. “The way you earn respect is by keeping your mouth shut and going to work and being a professional.”

At his apartment, Tyler said, neighbors have called the police three times with complaints that he was playing music too loud.

Discussing his problems, Tyler tended to point fingers. Asked about his immaturity, he said his teammates should treat him like a man. Asked about his reluctance to work and listen to his coaches, he said he was skeptical of their knowledge and methods. Tyler, the captain and focus of his high school’s offense, said he was still adjusting to a new role.

“If you take me from when I first got off the plane,” he said, “I have changed and developed and matured so much.”

Tyler complained that Haifa had failed to fulfill promises. He said that the driver the team provided did not want to take him anywhere and that the apartment he was given was dim and sparse, with a hallway light that hung by a wire from the ceiling.

Tyler’s father, James, cited disruptive outside influences. When his son was at San Diego High School, James Tyler forced him to stop working out with a summer basketball coach, Shaun Manning, because he was told that Manning had tried to sell Tyler to an agent for $40,000. Tyler said he considered Manning his best friend, although they had not spoken in years.

Manning said he was offered far more than $40,000, houses and cars to deliver Tyler but denied accepting any money.

“Jeremy knows,” Manning said. “That’s all that matters.”

James Tyler said that Drew Gallery, who is making the documentary, and Wright and her mother, Tracy Jernagin, viewed his son as a “cash cow.” He described Wright, a reality television star, and Jernagin as “gold diggers,” saying their visit to Israel has stunted his son’s development.

Jernagin said they had given Tyler, who was living alone, structure and discipline. Gallery denied being a distraction and said he had a fair contract with Tyler, whom he has been filming for more than two years.

In a phone interview on Friday, Tyler passionately defended them all.

“I feel like the person I felt like was so dear to me and I loved the most is someone that I can’t trust,” Tyler said of his father. “For him to say that, it really breaks my heart.”

The recruiting analyst Dave Telep said Tyler was the best eighth grader he had seen.

“Jeremy lost focus on what got him a lot of attention as a high school basketball player,” Telep said. “Over the course of his career, the drama surrounding him polluted his development. Unfortunately, it’s a classic example of how things can go wrong very quickly.”

Tyler’s mentor here is Ido Kozikaro, a balding 31-year-old who treats every possession in the post as if it were mixed martial arts. Kozikaro said that he liked Tyler but that he had to grow up.

At a recent practice, Kozikaro spun past Tyler to score a layup.

“If I let up a basket that easy, I would want to stab myself,” Kozikaro said.

Instead, Tyler said that Kozikaro had fouled him with his elbow. Kozikaro, who has been playing at a high level since Tyler was in the first grade, said he just laughed.

Arn Tellem, the head of Wasserman’s agent division, said Tyler’s world had been calmer since Ndiaye went to Israel.

“This hopefully will turn out to be one of the great life lessons for Jeremy,” Tellem said.

His teammates, for the most part, seem to feel the same way, as Tyler’s talent is obvious.

“He hasn’t even been a pro 100 days yet,” Rich said.

During a practice in late October, Ashkenazi ejected Tyler from a drill. Tyler turned away from the court and said, in colorful language, that his coach did not know anything about basketball. That night outside the gym, Ashkenazi had another heart-to-heart with Tyler, saying the coaches were there to help him tap his potential.

As Tyler walked away, he bade farewell to a reporter leaving for the United States and said, “I wish I was going back with you.”

the cavs run no offense... even barkley's saying it now. they just stand aside and let lebron go 1 on 5, and they'll/he'll never win a championship like that.

Barkley said it during the Magic/Cavs series, too, and everyone looked at him like he was crazy.

FWIW, through 7 games, Chris Bosh looks the best he's ever looked. He's playing the best basketball of his career thus far. Ok, I haven't actually watched any Raptors games yet, but the numbers through 7 games are damn studly.

29ppg/11.6rpg/1bpg .522FG% in 35.3mpg.

That was insane. I really thought, in real time, that he got it off. But on the final angle they showed, the ball was still on his fingertips when the clock hit zeros. Either way, it was a hard fought game and Brad's initial reaction was hilarious. And Jo Noah is a beast.

Give Karl some time, he usually saves his epic collapses for the playoffs.

yes, but how will karl's uncanny ability to blow it in the big spot counter act with chauncy's uncanny ability to be a clutch mothafucka?

plus carmello's apparently matured into an adult and all, which is kinda scary

For both of their sakes, I hope Melo and Chauncey win out.

Upside to the Magic loss tonight:

+ The LeBrons were especially motivated after the playoffs loss (especially Mo Williams)
+ Dwight was in foul trouble most of the first half
+ They're still missing Lewis, who arguably gave the Cavs the biggest matchup problems in the playoff series; plus Ryan Anderson was hurt
+ Nelson and Carter were able to score almost at will

Downside:
+ Their defense looked like dogshit
+ No one punched Varajeo in the face
+ Dwight was a non-factor an offense

Back
Top Bottom