NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
The 2008-09 regular season starts tomorrow night, so I thought it was time for a new thread(mods, you can lock the other thread).

Will the Boston Celtics be able to repeat?

Will The Los Angeles Lakers get back to the finals?

Will the addition of Ron Artest to the Houston Rockets lead to T-Mac finally getting out of the first round and/or the Rockets finally becoming a real title contender?

Will the addition of Elton Brand lead the Philadelphia 76ers to title contention?

Will the addition of Jermaine O'Neal put the Raptors in more serious Eastern Conference contention?

Will the Phoenix Suns be able to put together another title run despite losing D'Antoni and getting up there in age, or is the Nash Era in its twilight, the torch about to be handed to Amare?

Will perennial title contender San Antonio Spurs be able to contend yet again? How much will Manu's early absence hurt them? Will Duncan still produce as he has in the past? Will age catch up?

Will the inaugural season of the Walsh/D'Antoni regime and the first season since early in the decade in which Isiah is absolutely no part of the franchise mean the beginning of the New York Knicks' rise from oblivion?

Will Larry Brown make the Charlotte Bobcats into a playoff team?

Will Rick Carlisle be able to coach the Dallas Mavericks into one last Dirk-led title run or is their best chance behind them?

Will the Detroit Pistons once again be an elite team in the East or will they finally start showing their age? When they lost to Boston, Sheed was certainly talking like he felt they were done as a team.

How will the Los Angeles Clippers look this year, having lost Elton Brand and having acquired Baron Davis?

How will Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls, Michael Beasley and the Miami Heat, and OJ Mayo and the Memphis Grizzlies - the top three picks of the draft and their teams - fare?

How will Greg Oden's belated rookie season play out, and will the Portland Trail Blazers be as good as many have said they can be?

How will the Seattle Supersonics' inaugural season as the Oklahoma City Thunder go?

Discuss these and other questions...

Will the Boston Celtics be able to repeat?
-yes

Will The Los Angeles Lakers get back to the finals?
-no

Will the addition of Ron Artest to the Houston Rockets lead to T-Mac finally getting out of the first round and/or the Rockets finally becoming a real title contender?
-no

Will the addition of Elton Brand lead the Philadelphia 76ers to title contention?
-somewhat

Will the addition of Jermaine O'Neal put the Raptors in more serious Eastern Conference contention?
-no

Will the Phoenix Suns be able to put together another title run despite losing D'Antoni and getting up there in age, or is the Nash Era in its twilight, the torch about to be handed to Amare?
-no

Will perennial title contender San Antonio Spurs be able to contend yet again? How much will Manu's early absence hurt them? Will Duncan still produce as he has in the past? Will age catch up?
-no, somewhat, mostly, yes

Will the inaugural season of the Walsh/D'Antoni regime and the first season since early in the decade in which Isiah is absolutely no part of the franchise mean the beginning of the New York Knicks' rise from oblivion?
-yes

Will Larry Brown make the Charlotte Bobcats into a playoff team?
-no chance

Will Rick Carlisle be able to coach the Dallas Mavericks into one last Dirk-led title run or is their best chance behind them?
-doubtful

Will the Detroit Pistons once again be an elite team in the East or will they finally start showing their age? When they lost to Boston, Sheed was certainly talking like he felt they were done as a team.
-sheed won't make it through the year

How will the Los Angeles Clippers look this year, having lost Elton Brand and having acquired Baron Davis?
-barely miss the playoffs

How will Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls, Michael Beasley and the Miami Heat, and OJ Mayo and the Memphis Grizzlies - the top three picks of the draft and their teams - fare?
-beasley ROY, rose struggles early and slowly gets better, mayo score inconsistantly... 20 one night, 5 the next

How will Greg Oden's belated rookie season play out, and will the Portland Trail Blazers be as good as many have said they can be?
-12 and 10, blazers will be a 4 seed

How will the Seattle Supersonics' inaugural season as the Oklahoma City Thunder go?
-awful... and they have the awful uniforms to go with it. looks like they got a bunch of old piston jerseys from the 90's and just put some generic lettering on them.

Banner raising again at the Garden (OK, different Garden, but still gonna be cool to see, almost as cool as Pearl Jam's green lasers hitting the banners on the 2006 tour).

Hopefully Tony Allen and a few others can fill the void left on the Celt's' bench by the departure of James Posey.

Celts vs Hornets final if both teams stay healthy.

Chris Paul regular season MVP.

I think the Lakers, with a healthy Bynum, are the team to beat this year. If they'd had his defensive presence in the Finals last year it would have been no contest.

Kobe wins his second consecutive MVP.

in all the hype over the lakers with bynum, hornets with paul, rockets with artest, the baby blazers... there's a team that was right there in the west race last year, fell just short, and has everybody back... and not just everybody back, but a lot of guys in contract years and a point guard who one could argue is just as good as chris paul, but without the hype... not to mention the most under-rated coach in the entire NBA.

i'm talking about my pick to win the west... db9's very own utah jazz.

ironicly enough, much like his beloved mccain, the jazz will get to the big dance and ultimately lose. to the celtics.

Banner raising again at the Garden (OK, different Garden, but still gonna be cool to see, almost as cool as Pearl Jam's green lasers hitting the banners on the 2006 tour).

Hopefully Tony Allen and a few others can fill the void left on the Celt's' bench by the departure of James Posey.

Allen looked pretty good in the preseason, and I think Pruitt will be a nice addition.

Last year really sucked for the Knicks, so hopefully things can only get better this year.

I'm just glad Isiah is gone.

Pruitt is so bad. He was behind Rondo last year and he barely saw the floor at all.

Why is he bad? Last year was strictly a developmental year for him - he wasn't even on the team roster most of the season. But he appears to have made some great strides since then, judging by his preseason play.

Just curious what you base this on. Have you been following him closely or something?

You know what though, I think once he figures out his role off that bench, he will be very good. :yes: He'll still get his minutes. He's too good not to.

And he had a heck of a pass to Sasha earlier. :D

He'll be on the floor at the end of games....I actually he as a 6th man can be a real boon to the team, especially with his versatility.

I don't think he'll be in LA by the end of the season, and I've heard rumors of a Hedo Turkoglu/Odom swap... not a big fan of that.

Baby Bulls! Undefeated. 6 players in double figure scoring...not bad.

And the Lakers win. I'm satisfied with Day 1 of this NBA season.

Baby Bulls! Undefeated. 6 players in double figure scoring...not bad.

lobt2zm5.gif

That's damn right, Impy. We got our sights set on that little spinning trophy and we're not stopping until it's in our hands.

82 - 0

Isn't it something though to have a point guard who leads the offense rather than is just a part of the offense? It allows Tyrus Thomas to actually succeed! It could be similar to Chris Paul with Tyson Chandler. Good point guards make their teams better.

The year will be up and down, but 9 assists in his first game is pretty good.

that's like me saying that today's lunch is the best thing to happen to me since yesterday's lunch.

it was a decent debut for rose... it would still be short sighted, even if you think he's going to be a great point guard, to believe that he's going to have a great season this year... it's very rare for a true point to come in and be a star right away. paul, williams, nash... they all had at best up and down seasons their rookie year. nash hardly even played. even kidd was a little up and down, despite splitting the rookie of the year with grant hill.

i need to see more of him before i believe he's going to be a paul/williams type of point... but even if he is going to be that player eventually, to think he's gonna be that right away is asking a little much.

i'm just not sold that mo williams is the "answer" for the cavs as lebron's second option. the fact that he's about lebron's 5th second option is not lost on those in new york, chicago, LA and dallas...

the celtics just keep rolling on.

the lakers were impressive on D... bynum, not so much. it's early though.

disapointed in the trailblazers, but they may have just been a bit shell shocked upon having oden limp off the court... again.

looking forward to knicks opening night for the first time in like 8 years. it's nice. getting to see beasley out of the blocks is a nice bonus.

Alright, fine, he's the best thing to happen to Chicago sports since the arrival of Alexei Ramirez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom