NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

they're not awful. they could bring in another big name free agent if htey wanted to, but that would involve not bringing back any of their free agents (arroyo, dooling, garrity) or signing one of their own free agents to the exemption.

they need to not fuck up this off-season... they gave rashard lewis a ton of dough, and they're eventually going to have to ante up for howard... so if they want to take that next step they need to be smart this off-season, otherwise they'll be stuck in NBA purgatory... 40-50 wins, no shot at a title (unless howard further develops... he was 20 and 14 this year... i'm not sure if he'll ever be a 25+ ppg scorer)

They shouldn't keep Mo Evans and Keith Bogans. If they do, they've gotta trade J.J. Redick and get something in return. Keyon Dooling's gotta re-sign for sure. Tony Battie's been out the whole year and Brian Cook was hurt during the whole playoffs - two other big guys, but not the type to put next to Dwight. Marcin Gortat sort of emerged as a quality bench guy, and I hope he continues to develop. Hopefully they'll get the whole Fran Vasquez situation figured out, too. Send Aluminum Foyle packin'.

I haven't been following college ball or Chad Ford's draft info to see who they could nab at the 22nd pick.

They need 2 types of players:

- a strong big man to bang some bodies at the 4 - like Udonis Haslem or Chris Wilcox.
- a passing point guard to come off of the bench and spark the 2nd Team offense - like T.J. Ford or Brevin Knight

Howard - SUPAMANNNN
Wilcox/Haslem
Lewis - terribly overpaid, but I like his game)
Turkoglu - finally showing his offensive talents, but needs to make better decisions with the ball if he's going to be a primary ball-handler)
Nelson - had a great post-season
---
Redick
Evans/Bogans
Dooling
Gortat
Battie/Cook
Vasquez? - at least sell his rights to a team like Portland, San Antonio, or Phoenix.

I'm pissed off that Otis Smith had all of those expiring contracts to spend on a big guy for the playoffs, especially when it was likely they'd face a physical Pistons team in the playoffs. I still think the Ariza for Cook/Evans trade was one of the best trades of the season (probably some bias there), but the guy's gotta get shit done if they're ever going to improve.

So yeah, this off-season's pretty important.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

what does o'neal have left on his contract? unless it's 2 years or less, i want no part of him. he's not that good.

edit - i looked it up, marbury and o'neal have the same amount of money left and the same number of years. i still wouldn't do it 'cause if o'neal does well there would be pressure to resign him, which would again defeat the purpose... he's not a franchise player, he's a #2 guy. but.. alas... again it all depends on the draft. if they get rose or beasley, the process speeds up a bit. if htey don't get rose or beasley, they need to get bayless.

there still may be someone out there willing to take a chance on zach randolph. nobody's taking eddy curry.

That makes sense. What about Dallas?

Would Milwaukee still want to do a Randolph deal, even with the new GM?

Lakers are scary if they can beat you without Kobe attempting a feild goal in the fourth quarter. Also it's so weird ow there apprently haven't been any lead changes in score in the whole series.

Thank God Rondo hit those jumpers, if the Celts squeezed the ball any tighter I think it would have exploded. Nice to see Pierce going to the hoop strong last night rather than trying to baby in layups, and refreshing to see KG assert himself and drive a bit in between the jump shots.

The Cavs are a strange team. They have guys hitting shots (Ilgauskas in particular) and they just stop going to them. It seemed like LeBron tried to take the game over in the first half, and when the C's got back in it and clamped down on him everybody else was in a funk from all the standing around watching LeBron.

I'm not sure how all this planning for 2-3 years down the road will work out. You hear about teams trying to position themselves that way sometimes (the Magic awhile back trying to set up for a run at Vince Carter and somebody else - was it Tim Duncan?) and it doesn't seem to work out that well. Planning for LeBron is a big roll of the dice, and if plan B is Wade then they'd better hope they get LeBron because Wade ain't the guy you hitch your wagon to.

thetitans2k said:
Lakers are scary if they can beat you without Kobe attempting a feild goal in the fourth quarter. Also it's so weird ow there apprently haven't been any lead changes in score in the whole series.

the lakers are better when kobe doesn't shoot as much. his just being on the court makes it easier for his very capable teammates to score... which in turn, when his teammates are scoring, it makes it easier for kobe to score. wacky concept, this team thing.

CTU2fan said:
Thank God Rondo hit those jumpers, if the Celts squeezed the ball any tighter I think it would have exploded. Nice to see Pierce going to the hoop strong last night rather than trying to baby in layups, and refreshing to see KG assert himself and drive a bit in between the jump shots.

The Cavs are a strange team. They have guys hitting shots (Ilgauskas in particular) and they just stop going to them. It seemed like LeBron tried to take the game over in the first half, and when the C's got back in it and clamped down on him everybody else was in a funk from all the standing around watching LeBron.

I'm not sure how all this planning for 2-3 years down the road will work out. You hear about teams trying to position themselves that way sometimes (the Magic awhile back trying to set up for a run at Vince Carter and somebody else - was it Tim Duncan?) and it doesn't seem to work out that well. Planning for LeBron is a big roll of the dice, and if plan B is Wade then they'd better hope they get LeBron because Wade ain't the guy you hitch your wagon to.

i think i've finally figured out lebron... at times i watch him and i think damn, he's good... then i watch him and say damn, he's not that good.

he isn't that good, skill wise... but he's such an athletic freak of the nature that we haven't seen, maybe ever in the NBA, that he's damn near impossible to guard one on one.

he's a smaller, more compact, quicker shaq. his skills are okay, but he's succesful because he's just an absolute beast of a man.

i'd love to see him on a team that, ya know, runs an offense... 'cause i think if you put him in the right system with the right pieces around him his physicality alone can lead a team to a championship. but someone has to convince him to be oscar robertson, not michael jordan.

25 points, 15 boards, 12 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals... per game... for a season.

he can do it, he just needs to be in the right place with the right people to convince him of that. cleveland is obviously not that place, not with the coaching and management they have now. if he continues to think that he's a guy who needs to dominate the shot chart in order for his team to win, then his team will never win, and it'll be a waste of a freakish athletic talent that we may never see again.

So basically, put him with an offensive-minded coach (Mike D'Antoni? :wink: ) and see what he does?

He's a much better passer and defender than I realized.

CTU2fan said:
So basically, put him with an offensive-minded coach (Mike D'Antoni? :wink: ) and see what he does?

something like that :wink:

although i am turned off that the guy appears to be an absolute egomaniac...

LeBron James ended his news conference with this statement: “A LeBron James team is never desperate.”

he does call himself the king, and tattooed his own slogan about how we are apparently wittnesses to his poor shooting decisions on his leg and all... but yea, he needs to be with a coach that is going to take full advantage of his abilities. mike brown is simply not that coach.

If Nocioni goes to the Spurs they'll be the Argentine national team...

they tried that once before... didn't work as planned

2494587109_4aecb7bca7_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hewson said:
Thanks for the day's first good laugh.

Only if they re-sign both Bogans and Evans, which would be retarded. I love what Van Gundy's done with the team, but I can't understand for the life of me why J.J. rides the bench... he's only one of the 5 best shooters in basketball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom