NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went blind for about two seconds looking at Craig Sager's suit.

namkcuR said:
You have always been entirely too forgiving of LB for his role in what happened in NY, imo.

you'd have a nifty little argument here if not for the facts that
a) things got worse after brown left
b) he's always been open with the media, everywhere he's been, and it's not exactly a secret when you hire him. if you don't want it, don't hire him.
c) marbury really turned into a classy, franchise changing star after brown left... isiah had much more control over him, and he played so well last year.
d)
And the Knicks have a very clear policy regarding this practice. Brown knew damn well it was against the rules and he did it anyway.
this policy by the knicks, which is the exact policy that lead to marv albert being fired and jeff van gundy quitting, was so ridiculed by, well, everyone that donnie walsh wouldn't have agreed to take the knicks job unless the policy was revoked... which it was. walsh now has full reign over the team's media policy.
e) brown's entire argument was that the knicks were so bad that they had to be blown up and broken down before they could ever be good again. low and behold, what is donnie walsh's plan? ahhh yes... get under the cap, get draft picks, wait it out till they can sign legit free agents again. aka, blow it up and break it down.

if you think rick adelman, the king of the choke, is better than larry brown.. well... this conversation is over.

His forte is taking laughingstocks and making them into respectable teams that lose in the first or second round of the playoffs(except for the Knicks, not even he could fix them). He is NOT that great when it comes to making 'good' teams into 'great' teams.

you're right... he's only really taken over a good team once. the detroit pistons. took 'em to the finals twice with one championship over a team they never should have beat, and almost beat a second team they shouldn't have beat... but they've done much better under flip saunders. really florished. perhaps they should hire rick adelman.

and let's not forget that he's the only person to get allen iverson to the finals, and probably could have gotten to the nba finals with the pacers but had to go through the knicks and the bulls. yes, the pacers finally got there after brown left under larry bird... but that had more to do with jordan leaving and ewing being injured.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

david west is the key to the series. if he can come close to matching duncan, new orleans will win. if he, along with chandler, can't stop duncan and can't make him work on defense, then the spurs will probably win in 5 or 6 games.

ok even i didn't expect west and chandler to outplay duncan THAT badly... i was thinkin' like 23 for west, 25 for duncan and the hornets would have a shot.

ok even i didn't expect west and chandler to outplay duncan THAT badly... i was thinkin' like 23 for west, 25 for duncan and the hornets would have a shot.
Nice prop play last night, Duncan under 33.5 points+rebounds at +170...really had to sweat that one.
:hi5:

i think god made a compromise with boston. the red sox will no longer lose in the most humiliating of ways and break through with two world championships... in return, the other boston teams will take the red sox place... great regular seasons, shocking post-season defeats.
We'll know for sure in a few hours.

I guess the greatest power forward in history took a raincheck last night... Now he needs to show how good he is and trash the Hornets on Monday.

And wtf happened with the stupid mascot trick at the end of the first quarter?... Amateurs.

Game 7 between the Celts and the Hawks is now officially the most boring Game 7 in NBA history.

The Hawks have 50 points in 3 and a half quarters. Embarassing. Baseball is even more interesting than this, and that's saying a lot.

The Hawks were murdered by the Celtics but at least they did good until today.

I've never talked about basketball to anyone.

i would have said you were stupid to take the under on that. and i would have been stupid. :hi5:
I think Timmay is up against the worst opponent he could be team-wise...N'awlins is loaded with young, quick players that'll run him right out of the game. Parker is the Spurs only chance to contend in this series, he has to dominate.

considering as the spurs don't even make the playoffs without duncan, let alone win a championship, that may be the most obvious statement of all time.

It depends on the matchups. For instance, against the Cavs last year, Duncan played average but Parker had a very favorable matchup and was the star of the series. In this series, Parker has Paul to take care of and, as such, Duncan becomes more relevant.

And I know what you re going to say, but Manu has a clear advantage in this series as they are putting Pargo or Stojakovic against him so he will need to step up big time.

Hope the Magic at least make tonight's game interesting. :up:

They probably won't win the series now that Detroit's all fired up, but it should be entertaining to watch.

U2@NYC said:

It depends on the matchups. For instance, against the Cavs last year, Duncan played average but Parker had a very favorable matchup and was the star of the series. In this series, Parker has Paul to take care of and, as such, Duncan becomes more relevant.

And I know what you re going to say, but Manu has a clear advantage in this series as they are putting Pargo or Stojakovic against him so he will need to step up big time.

listen... parker and ginobli are stars because they play with tim duncan.

tony parker is an undersized guard who can't shoot. why is he so effective? 'cause his quickness allows him to get to the rim, where he gets easy shots because the help can't rotate off duncan.

if parker's a 10 with duncan, he's be a 7 most other places. if ginobli's an 8, he'd be a 5. only one person on that team could you lift off the spurs, place on a bad team, and that team instantly becomes better... and his name is timothy theodore duncan.

on an unrelated note... if you take all of the top nominees for mvp this season... kobe, lebron, paul, KG... toss in tim duncan as the honorary "i'm still the best even if i cost through a lot of the regular season to keep my legs healthy" guy to round out the (arguable) 5 best players in the league right now.

they all have one of two things in common... what is that?

:hmm:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Hope the Magic at least make tonight's game interesting. :up:

They probably won't win the series now that Detroit's all fired up, but it should be entertaining to watch.

probably the stupidest thing orlando could have done is try to be physical with detroit. detroit gets lazy and is suspect to being picked off by teams. you kinda gotta catch 'em by surprise, the way philly did. if you go out and get 'em fired up in the first game you might as well call it a night.

on an unrelated note... if you take all of the top nominees for mvp this season... kobe, lebron, paul, KG... toss in tim duncan as the honorary "i'm still the best even if i cost through a lot of the regular season to keep my legs healthy" guy to round out the (arguable) 5 best players in the league right now.

they all have one of two things in common... what is that?

:hmm:
1. They are all still playing
2. None of them have ever been in my kitchen

Worst endgame execution EVAR by Detroit and Orlando in Game 2.

Hewson said:

1. They are all still playing
2. None of them have ever been in my kitchen

close.

they all either entered the draft out of high school or went to wake forest.

and yes, a wake forest graduate alerted me to this.

hey, that tyson chandler for pj brown trade's really worked out well for the bulls. chandler, brown and even big ben wallace are all still playing, and the bulls missed the playoffs. hizzah!

probably the stupidest thing orlando could have done is try to be physical with detroit. detroit gets lazy and is suspect to being picked off by teams. you kinda gotta catch 'em by surprise, the way philly did. if you go out and get 'em fired up in the first game you might as well call it a night.

They played better tonight, because Dwight was able to be Dwight, but Turkoglu needs to step it up right now if they're gonna have a chance to win the series. Nelson and Lewis came through, but they need at least another guy to pull it off vs. Detroit. It also doesn't hurt that they got fucked over by poor officiating and clock errors (that 3 by Billups to end the 3rd was ridiculous).

Last edited:
orlando should trade rashad lewis in a package for dirk. it'll never happen... i'm just sayin. they should at least try. dirk would be perfect with that team, and dallas needs to get younger and retool.

I wish. Dwight's the player he'd only dream of playing with in the paint.

Trading him for Baron Davis wouldn't be a bad call either. Nelson's too undersized to guard bigger guards and most quick guards. Plus, they're gonna have to get rid of either Keyon Dooling or Carlos Arroyo this off-season, hopefully the latter, but probably not because of the marketability of a Puerto Rican player in Orlando. That fucking kills me.

The salary cap and the inevitable J.J. Redick trade will cripple this team at some point, but at this point, I'm just gonna enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

It also doesn't hurt that they got fucked over by poor officiating and clock errors (that 3 by Billups to end the 3rd was ridiculous).

Is there some reason they couldn't have just replayed the final few seconds of the third quarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom