NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to say this:

My interest in the NBA has been waning for several years now.

However, I really enjoyed the NBA playoffs last year, from the Warriors fun run to LeBron's playoff emergence, etc.....

And, I think this is the most geeked up I've been for the NBA Playoffs in ages....the Western Conference playoffs will be wars, every single series will feature two good teams.....and the East, while lacking the depth, still should be intriguing, between Boston, Detroit and the LeBrons......so, yeah.

Hewson said:
Have you ever actually watched Wally play for any stretch.
Can't create his own shot, terrible defender, he'll hit a few open shots if they triple LeBron, but thats about it.

But that was what was wrong with Larry Hughes. He couldn't hit the open shots that LeBron opened up for him. I just think if that's his role, he'll be better at it compared to who was there before him.

But you are correct, no defense at all.

No spoken words said:
I want to say this:

My interest in the NBA has been waning for several years now.

However, I really enjoyed the NBA playoffs last year, from the Warriors fun run to LeBron's playoff emergence, etc.....

And, I think this is the most geeked up I've been for the NBA Playoffs in ages....the Western Conference playoffs will be wars, every single series will feature two good teams.....and the East, while lacking the depth, still should be intriguing, between Boston, Detroit and the LeBrons......so, yeah.

I think it will be excellent. Yeah the first round in the East might be a bit lacking (though I bet somebody gets picked off), but you have potential great series in the 2nd round and East final, and all 3 rounds out west. Then to top it off you have the real possibility of a Celtics/Lakers NBA final. I'm fired up.

Got Philk? said:

But that was what was wrong with Larry Hughes. He couldn't hit the open shots that LeBron opened up for him. I just think if that's his role, he'll be better at it compared to who was there before him.

But you are correct, no defense at all.

but the bulls do have a taller version of ben gordon now, so they got that going for them, which is nice.

Oh, of course.

The comish is just going :yippie: with all the newly added attention that the Lakers started with the acquisition of Pau.

Btw, did you guys talked about the Slam Dunk comp last week?
That was fun

2291688456_4606c356e3_o.jpg

:hmm:

I just feel bad for Tracy McGrady. Without Yao, he may very well be looking at yet another first-round exit. The guy is cursed.

Here's hoping he rises to the occasion and leads the Rockets to the second round.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
I just feel bad for Tracy McGrady. With Yao, he may very well be looking at yet another first-round exit. The guy is cursed.

Here's hoping he rises to the occasion and leads the Rockets to the second round.

I agree.
The expectations were enormous and nothing has come to light.

RedrocksU2 said:

I agree.
The expectations were enormous and nothing has come to light.

I don't feel bad for him at all. Tough shit.

He's a multi-million dollar player who has yet to win a playoff series. He has opened his mouth on more than one occasion about post-season success, and had to eat it. Put the team on your back and carry them or something.

No spoken words said:

I don't feel bad for him at all. Tough shit.

He's a multi-million dollar player who has yet to win a playoff series. He has opened his mouth on more than one occasion about post-season success, and had to eat it. Put the team on your back and carry them or something.

Exactly.

You're not a superstar when "your" team finishes 21-61, T-MAC ATTACK! I don't care how bad the team is.

Same for Dwyane Wade.

I see.

It's a good time to be a Laker fan. I hate all the "bandwagoners" showing their faces now.:|

Celtics/ Lakers in the Finals.......Lakers win in 7.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Exactly.

You're not a superstar when "your" team finishes 21-61, T-MAC ATTACK! I don't care how bad the team is.

Same for Dwyane Wade.

That is some messed up logic.

How many years did KG play on terrible T-Wolves teams? Does that make him 'not a superstar'?

Garnett's a terrible example because of how badly Kevin McHale mismanaged the team and screwed them from getting quality talent to put around him, except that one season with Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell.

The Bulls always had a chance with MJ, the Lakers with Magic, the Celtics with Bird, the Knicks with Ewing, the Rockets with Hakeem, etc...

Still, I'm not knocking their talent-level at all, but I think, in my own humble opinion, that a superstar should elevate his game enough so that the team can compete every night.

Players like Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Jermaine O'Neal, and Stephon Marbury try and command Superstar Money and Status, but to me, will never be those because they can't get their teams over that hump.

(Maybe it's unfair to use the '80s and '90s players, but I think the comparison is applicable.)

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

That is some messed up logic.

How many years did KG play on terrible T-Wolves teams? Does that make him 'not a superstar'?

I think KG's overrated, and there's nothing wrong with anyone's logic thus far.

Let's see what KG and his geriatric buddies do in the playoffs, then maybe I'll change my mind about him.

Until either do anything in the post-season, to me, both are underachievers.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Garnett's a terrible example because of how badly Kevin McHale mismanaged the team and screwed them from getting quality talent to put around him, except that one season with Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell.

The Bulls always had a chance with MJ, the Lakers with Magic, the Celtics with Bird, the Knicks with Ewing, the Rockets with Hakeem, etc...

Still, I'm not knocking their talent-level at all, but I think, in my own humble opinion, that a superstar should elevate his game enough so that the team can compete every night.

Players like Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Jermaine O'Neal, and Stephon Marbury try and command Superstar Money and Status, but to me, will never be those because they can't get their teams over that hump.

(Maybe it's unfair to use the '80s and '90s players, but I think the comparison is applicable.)

On the one hand, you say that KG is a bad example because McHale sucked so much at putting talent around him, but on the other hand, you mention MJ and Magic and Bird.

The thing is...Magic had Kareem and Worthy around him. MJ had Pippen and Rodman and Grant around him. Bird had McHale and Parish around him.

You give those guys all the credit(which they DO deserve) when they had talent around them, but you give KG NO credit when he DIDN'T have the talent around him(until this year in Boston). It's a double standard.

Okay, then maybe the comparison isn't applicable.

I'm not bashing Garnett in the least, like I said above, I think he's incredibly talented, but I believe very few players are worthy of the "superstar"-label and hate how so many are given this status before they earn it with team success. You can be a superstar with quality role players and secondary players - look at Tim Duncan.

I don't want to keep arguing about this, so I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Okay, then maybe the comparison isn't applicable.

I'm not bashing Garnett in the least, like I said above, I think he's incredibly talented, but I believe very few players are worthy of the "superstar"-label and hate how so many are given this status before they earn it with team success. You can be a superstar with quality role players and secondary players - look at Tim Duncan.

Duncan?

He had David Robinson for the first two titles - Admiral is a Top 50 player.

Tony Parker is more than a role player, imo.

I think LeBron is the best current illustration of what you're saying. He took a team of crap all the way to the Finals last year.

Robinson was in the twilight of his career, but could still contribute, while Parker came into his own during the '03 Finals. Duncan was still the main cog in that team and still is, even while he's getting older.

Ginobili and Parker couldn't do what they do without Duncan around them. It's the same thing that happened when Penny was playing with Shaq.

Yes, I agree about LeBron.

Alright, I'm finished.

there-will-be-blood-1.jpg

Last edited:
AI got the to the NBA Finals with a shit crew. He carried them.

LeBron got to the Finals last year with a shit crew. He carried them.

KG and McGrady can't even win a fucking series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom