NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sources: Mavericks, Nets closing in on Kidd deal

Sources told ESPN.com that talks between the Mavericks and Nets, which had seemingly stalled, grew serious after the teams played Sunday night in New Jersey and have moved them to the brink of completing the NBA's third blockbuster deal of the month.

Although sources say that the teams are still sorting out final details, this deal was described as "imminent" by one source close to the process after negotiations moved to an advanced stage Tuesday night. The proposed swap -- salvaged from talks of a three-way trade with Portland that developed and fizzled quickly two weeks ago -- would require Dallas to send 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse, the expiring contracts of center DeSegana Diop and swingman Devean George and another player such as guard Maurice Ager to New Jersey for Kidd and possibly veteran guard Darrell Armstrong. It's believed that Dallas would also send New Jersey cash and future draft considerations.

Ugh.

Stackhouse will probably be bought out and re-signed by the Mavs soon anyway, but that's about half their roster - it's not like they'd do much with that team in place anyway.

The playoffs are about 8-man rotations. The Mavs still have a solid 8-man rotation after this trade, even a 9-man rotation if they re-sign Stackhouse. That bench is solid, and Kidd can make guys like Dampier and Juwon Howard and Jason Terry look better than they are. This is a trade that is clearly being made(if it gets done) to give the team a better chance to 'win now' while Dirk is still in his prime.

Dampier/Juwon Howard
Nowitzki/Brandon Bass
Howard/Eddie Jones
Terry/Jerry Stackhouse
Kidd

I'm glad Stack will probably be back, but they got rid of a blossoming 24 year old point guard in the midst of a very impressive breakout season and a certified Duncan-stopper.

This makes the window of opportunity so much smaller. But we'll see if it pays off.

The Mavs have lacked the mental toughness and great decisions that Kidd has in spades. I hope they come in handy. They probably match up better with every team now. Well, except one. The Spurs.

I'm utterly flabbergasted still. Like the Shaq trade, this could spell either championship or a return to the mediocrity of the 90s.

Okay, it might not be as bad as the 90s.

Well, Juwon is on their roster according to nba.com...that's what I was going off of. I don't watch many Mavs games.

roytarpley.jpg

Theoretical playoff rotation:

Kidd/JJ Barea
Eddie Jones/Jason Terry (could even slide him over to point at times if need be, although I hate him there)
Josh Howard/Stack (assuming he comes back)
Dirk/Brandon Bass
Damp/ ____________

If those backup PG and C holes get filled by anyone remotely competent, I'll stop professing doom. I still want a 2 like a Mike Miller, too. But whatever. I'll see how I feel about this after watching a few games.

Juwan Howard is a non-factor in this equation. As much of one as Nick Fazekas.

Edit: That's my first Roy Tarpley sighting in awhile. Thank you.

Last edited:
^thanks for finally spelling my boy Juwan's name the correct way. :wink:

Roy Tarpley went to Michigan too...

And I'm still not convinced that Harris is a starting point guard anyway. It happens all the time, some good backup point guard leaves his team to start on another team and doesn't play as well.

What I mean is, he's in a situation like Howard Eisley. Everybody loved the guy. All talk was on how when Stockton retired, he would take over. And...how many of us remember him as a starter? Great backup to Stockton, but when he had to actually start, he wasn't as good.

Just my take.

Well the WC playoffs will be hotly contested, hopefully leaving the finalist bloodied, battered and drained and easy pickings for the Celts.:wink:

I'm convinced Devin Harris and Jameer Nelson are the same person.

The Magic really need to trade Pat Garrity and Carlos Arroyo's expiring contracts and pick up a tough banger with playoff experience to put next to Dwight Howard. Kurt Thomas would be perfect, methinks... Adonal Foyle won't do the trick.

Getting rid of a guard will maybe free up space in the rotation for J.J. Redick to play someday... who knows?

Apparently the Mavericks are looking to send off new acquisition(s) Malik Allen and/or Antione Wright for Mike Miller.

That probably hinges on sending off the KVH contract the Mavs still hold the rights to. I would love to get Miller in blue and green.

If today's events parlay into getting him, the Mavericks will have given up Devin and Diop (Ager and George don't matter) for Kidd and Miller. I can definitely live with that.

I would have loved the Nets to toss in Sean Williams. I went to high school with that guy.

I was reading that if they had sent just Harris, Van Horn's contract, and filler, the luxury tax would've been insane - upwards of $40 million.

If your Mavs can get Mike Miller, that would be extremely good. I'm surprised the Suns didn't make a play for him earlier.

Miller is definitely the big prize right now in my eyes. Unfortunately, ESPN's Trade Machine doesn't have updated rosters yet, so I can't try to finagle a working trade for him and his nasty hair.

I've been thinking more about getting Kidd, though, and I'm getting more optimistic. I'm starting to think the Mavs have a better chance to win a championship now than they did this morning.

That needed team needed to blow up sooner than later.

Good to see Dwight Howard have his double-double (10 pts/12 boards + 2 blocks) by halftime. It's amazing seeing him play any chance I get to go to a game.

I watched the Warriors/Suns game tonight and, as much as I hate run and gun basketball, it was damn exciting.

Here's hoping they meet in the first round.

zonelistener said:

Guys who played DIII and now play in the NBA should not have this much power. :tsk:

don't hate on DIII players :madspit:

devan george certainly has balls. i mean you're denying your team of a hall of fame point guard so that you can make an extra million dollars with your larry bird rights? a) your teammates are going to hate you, b) you honestly think cuban's gonna bring this guy back now after he pulled this?

he's a douche.

impy13 said:
I watched the Warriors/Suns game tonight and, as much as I hate run and gun basketball, it was damn exciting.

basketball where people actually score sucks. 71-65 is much better on the eyes.

from the dallas morning news' mavericks blog

Who needs Kidd when you have George?
8:52 PM Wed, Feb 13, 2008 | Permalink
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips
Devean George went scoreless in the first half, missing six shots from the floor (three 3-pointes) and a pair of free throws. He did contribute a couple assists and a steal to the Mavs' cause.

Maybe George is trying to prove to the Mavs' brass that he can shoot like Jason Kidd.

:hi5:

I don't quite get the Larry Bird exemption thing because that's exactly it, no way they bring him back after this. I'm guessing it's more like "I don't want to play for the shitty Nets, at least if Kidd was still there I might get the ball on occasion, but with him gone it's gonna be all Vince all the time".

So does he actually have the power to block this, or is it more like "I won't report and/or I'll make a complete asshole of myself if this happens". Because I thought I remember where Kobe had THE ONLY NO TRADE IN THE NBA!!!!!11!

Ah the joy of being a pro athlete. You want to get traded, the fans boo you and you're a douche. If you don't want to get traded, surprise, the fans boo you and you're a douche.

Edit: Never mind, I guess he can actually block it. So why doesn't somebody figure out exactly how much he stands to lose (nothing because Dallas won't re-sign him anyway) or why doesn't Cuban come to some agreement with him money-wise and just pay him to let the trade happen, just like no-trades are bought out in other sports. I'm sure Cubes has a million in his couch cushions that he could stand to part with.

The cap is a pain in the ass :(

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

basketball where people actually score sucks. 71-65 is much better on the eyes.

That's a little extreme. I just don't like watching people chuck shots around all day.

Sources say the Kidd deal is still alive.

They say that the Mavs are still working on George to change his mind, and that the other option the Mavs are looking at is getting Keith Van Horn to facilitate this by signing off on a sign-and-trade deal...this is possible because although he hasn't played in a year, the Mavs still have his bird rights. I guess the idea would be that KVH would sign a one year deal so that the Nets would just be taking back an expiring...KVH definitely isn't playing for anyone this season.

Reportedly Mark Cuban is hesitant to use KVH, having even said a while ago that he would use KVH to trade for anyone at any time. It it said that in light of the George situation, Cuban is reconsidering using KVH.

I don't understand why Cuban is hesitant. Would KVH actually say no to the question 'Hey, would you like a bunch of money for doing absolutely nothing'?

:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom