NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
The San Antnoio's and LA's of the world can't be too happy about the prospect of this trade, but David Stern must be salivating...imagine a Lakers/Suns western conf finals pitting Shaq vs Kobe, and the Celtics awaiting the winner in the NBA finals...ratings could get back to 80's early 90's levels.

most certainly... the lakers and suns already don't like each other. add in the shaq/kobe angle and it's a ratings bonanza. and if it is, indeed, boston that's waiting for the winner?

$tern will be mo$t happy with thi$ trade.

It's either going to be a genius move or a colossal bust, the difference between legitimate championship contention and ongoing mediocrity.

Obviously, I'm hoping for the latter. I just don't see why trading your best defender, leading rebounder, and scoring threat (as well as a backup for an aging Nash in an already thin rotation) for an overweight, over-the-hill Shaq. I don't see how it makes the Suns any better, considering his level of play this season in the games he's been healthy.

But if the big fella has got anything left in the tank, this could work out extremely well.

Hey, gang. The Suns are already selling Shaq merchandise:

shaqphxvc9.png

Not going to lie, I stole that from a basketball board I frequent.

I don't think there's any chance Shaq throws away 20 million and retires after this year, championship or not. Not with a divorce going down. And I don't think there is any reason for anyone to double team him anymore, the quickness is gone. Just doesn't have the moves.

But it's a good move for Phoenix, as long as they don't care about the money. Marion isn't that big a loss, imo.

Sure makes things interesting.

If Shaq's still The Godfather, and Penny was Fredo, Kobe was Sonny, and Dwayne was Michael, does this make Nash Tom Hagen?

Re: Hornets/Suns double OT thriller

That Chris Paul is some kind of something.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
there's no way diane wade was michael. michael showed full well that he was capable of running the family after the godfather died.

:tsk:

Shaq's words, not mine.

Bradley's probably puttering around Dallas enjoying the $5,200,000 he's making this season.

But that and the $18,593,750 Cubes is paying Michael Finley to play for the Spurs come off the books next season. Science be praised.

"You just don't really want to get me upset. When I'm upset, I'm known to do certain things - like kill." Shaq then paused for dramatic effect and said, "Let me put it this way: Have you seen Shawn Bradley lately? Didn't think so."

What's the deal with Shaq mocking crummy centers all the time? Remember the Eric Dampier stuff? Pity he doesn't have Eric Montross and Big Country Reeves to kick around anymore...

I just read a rumor that seems to me like it would never happen, but I kind of hope it does...

Andrei Kirilenko for Ben Wallace.

Rumor has it Utah would do this to help battle against the newly acquired big men like Shaq and Gasol.

Then there's a rumor that Larry Brown might be the next coach of the Chicago Bulls. Yup, he'll develop young players...

Got Philk? said:
I just read a rumor that seems to me like it would never happen, but I kind of hope it does...

Rumor has it Utah would do this to help battle against the newly acquired big men like Shaq and Gasol.

Then there's a rumor that Larry Brown might be the next coach of the Chicago Bulls. Yup, he'll develop young players...

Holy "get out of jail free" Batman, how can the Bulls not pull the trigger on this? And once that's done who's shitty contract gets dumped on Dallas? How many years does Mark Blount have left on his deal? Too bad Starbury isn't a big man...

Got Philk? said:

i've always had respect for utah as a very well run organization. all of that respect will be lost if they actually even consider a trade as asinine as this one.

AK for Wallace? Think again
At some point, the Jazz might trade Andrei Kirilenko and whatever remains of his contract, which when signed was worth more than the gross national product of some countries.

I just don't see it happening before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

Kirilenko is playing too well, coach Jerry Sloan is doing too good of a job staying off his back and the Jazz are winning too many games for Larry Miller and Kevin O'Connor to make such a major roster change in the next few weeks.

This summer? Maybe. But not now.

In Sunday's Chicago Tribune, my friend Sam Smith floated the possibility of the Jazz trading Kirilenko for Ben Wallace because of future salary cap issues -- like re-signing Deron Williams and, down the road, re-signing Carlos Boozer.

This, of course, is laughable.

If the Jazz ever trade Kirilenko, they will get more than an aging, moody veteran whose interest in the game seemed to decline the minute he signed his contract-of-a-lifetime a couple of years ago.

Watching the Bulls' game at Golden State on Thursday night, one play stands out.

Trailing by six, the Warriors' Monta Ellis held the ball for the last shot of the first half. With five or six seconds left, Ellis put the ball on the floor, drove to the basket and slammed down a thunderous dunk.

Wallace?

He didn't exactly sidestep Ellis, but he didn't jump in front of him or try to block the shot, either. He just waved as Ellis drove past, which was surprising to see from a supposedly tough, defend-the-rim center like Wallace.

Now, if the Bulls want to talk about a package that includes Andres Nocioni, Kirk Hinrich, and first-round draft pick for Kirilenko, O'Connor might listen.

But straight-up for Ben Wallace?

The guy who got into a fight with former Chicago coach Scott Skiles because he couldn't wear his headband?

I don't think so.
-- Steve Luhm

because he can? :shrug: he does take regular shots at bill walton as well, including one just the other day.

Well yeah he can...but he's Shaq. You'd think he'd dog guys that are his actual competition rather than these bums who don't belong on the court with him. I suppose it's tough since the center position is kind of in the crapper these days (and Shaq getting old doesn't help).

Now Walton is another story, at least he can fight back. :)

I'm impressed that the Celtics have done as well as they have without Garnett in the lineup. They are overcoming the first serious injury of the season with flying colors.

If they beat the Knicks tomorrow, they'll have a 41-9 record at the break. I think even the most optimistic people around wouldn't have seen that coming.

And they're like 16-0 against the West so far, that's pretty good.

Have they played the Suns, Mavs, Hornets yet?

I see them finishing with 55-60 wins, but get beaten by the Pistons in a 7-game series, barring any major injuries + future betting scandals.

The Magic will get the 4 seed, maybe win, then get annihilated in the next round... if we're doing playoff predictions this early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom