NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but they beat them earlier in the season at home, too.

If they can learn to keep the tremendous leads they build up, they'll be fine. But that ties into their reliance on the jump shot and inability to find Dwight in the post when they need a good score.

I don't know.

Looks to me like they are still one piece away, someone to play the 4 with some power to take some of the inside heat off of Howard. But they should be in the thick of the East playoff hunt as long as Howard is healthy and they get reasonable contributions from Lewis, Turkoglu and Nelson.

Yes, recently Brian Cook (who had a great game today) has been getting some time playing at the 4 and has been doing quite well, but he's no solution. If Tony Battie wasn't hurt, he'd be a help in that department. That's my Captain Obvious quote of the day.

They play their best ball without Jameer Nelson, with Carlos Arroyo and Turkoglu as the primary ballhandlers.

One thing I don't get is why J.J. Redick doesn't play. Sure he can't play defense very well, but he can spread the floor and shoot lights out. At least that's what his DVD told me.

i don't know what the diagnosis is but from what i saw i'd be surprised if devin harris didn't pop his achilies.

when you come down and you're holding your ankle but the video shows that you never rolled it, yet you're still unable to walk? yea... that's not a good sign. hope he didn't, but i think he did.

Man, I hope you're wrong, Headache.

That makes a hell of a lot of sense, but I do hope you're wrong.

Dallas, TX (Sports Network) - Dallas Mavericks guard Devin Harris sprained his left ankle with 7:53 left in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 90-85 win over Denver.

Harris was hurt while driving for a layup. Harris, who collided with several cameramen under the basket, had to be helped to the locker room and wasn't able to put weight on the ankle. He will not travel with the team for Monday's game at Memphis and instead will stay in Dallas to be re-evaluated. He'll have an MRI Monday.

hopefully it was just a sprain... i'd be nervous about the MRI though

Looks like 2-3 weeks with a bone bruise.

I suppose it's time for JJ Barea to step up.

^ Yeah no kidding. That was one of those where you see it and you're thinking "he's screwed". Good news for Harris.

In a breakdown of the most noteworthy principles, Portland would land Mavericks guard Devin Harris and possibly Mavs forward Brandon Bass, New Jersey would receive draft and financial considerations, Dallas' Jerry Stackhouse and a trio of young prospects from Portland (Travis Outlaw, Channing Frye and Jarrett Jack) while the Mavericks would score Kidd.

I'm going to be so pissed if this goes through.

Losing a 24 year old budding star, the best backup to Dirk I've seen possibly in his entire career, and a spark plug from the bench doesn't make much sense when you're only getting a soon to be 35 year old with a lot of mileage. I'm not saying Kidd doesn't have anything left in the tank, but come on. That's way too much to give up for one guy. It would address the ball movement concerns, but it would also thin the bench and create a MASSIVE question mark in backing up Dirk. Who takes that job? Nick Fazekas?

I love Stackhouse, but I think he's expendable. Bass is a huge deal breaker for me considering how impressed I've been with him this season and the job he does behind Dirk. The development of Devin Harris has been interesting to watch so far and the guy just keeps getting better. I don't think he'll ever be as good as the 2002 version of Kidd, but right now and in the future, I think the difference is negligible. Plus, sending Devin to a Western Conference team with an already fantastic young nucleus is a mistake.

If the Mavs indeed need to make a trade, they should be looking to upgrade at the 2. Jones/Hassell isn't exactly eyepopping. A Michael Redd type in that slot would work wonders.

I like the reserves, except for Turkoglu gettin' the shaft - he's been the clutch guy for the Magic all season long.

Last edited:
Pau Gasol has been dealt to the Lakers for shit on a stick...er, I mean, Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, and first round draft picks in 2008 and 2010.

Oh, and the Grizzlies also just dealt Stromile Swift for Jason Collins.

They're just having a firesale. Their ownership wants to sell the team. That's all he cares about.

The Lakers though....

Bynum
Gasol
Odom
Kobe
Fisher

Now the Bulls can't get Gasol OR Kobe :sad:

David Stern is now pissing his pants over the possibility of a Celtics-Lakers finals.

How the f*ck does Kwame keep getting traded for good players? Bad enought the Lakers dealt Tough Juice (Best. Nickname. EVER) for him, but then Memphis lets them off the hook and they get Pau for him?

And can the Clips please get off their asses and cut Cassell already?

I think it's because Kwame has an expiring deal, I may be wrong though.

Steal for the Mambas.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I don't see the Mavs having 2 bad games in a row, that's for sure.

smielephantin7.gif

It's terrible that I'd rather see the Magic play on the road than at home.

So, Marion and Banks for Shaq....

Let's contemplate how bad this deal is for PHX. Let's hope it happens.

Let's also picture Shaq attempting to run.

Last edited:
Shaq also has 2.5 years left @ $20 MM/year on his current contract, so it'd be a salary-cap disaster for the Suns as well.

Steve Kerr must be on drugs.

Last edited:
this (potential) shaq trade ponders me.

on one side you have the suns, who have obvious internal issues involving marion, but have managed to keep them mostly hidden beneath the surface, probably because they're in phoenix and not LA or NYC. you also have nash, who's getting up there in age and doesn't have much left in the tank. they're a win now team... so perhaps they make the move out of desperation.

then you have shaq, himself... who certainly seems to be done, but i certainly wouldn't under estimate shaq's desire to prove people wrong, get himself back into good enough shape for one more title run.

if shaq is, in fact, able to get into shape, he certainly gives the suns a different dynamic, and putting him and stoudamire on the floor together would be an unbelievable matchup problem for, well, everyone.

the argument that shaq won't fit into phoenix's offense isn't really a valid one...
a) they still have plenty of firepower to run in transition
b) come playoff time they slow it down a bit, anyways
c) many of their sets are based around high post entries and screen/rolls between nash and "bigs." a sorta in shape shaq could be impossible to contain in these sets.

remember... if shaq is able to get himself back into respectable shape for one more run... 20/10 shape... it means that phoenix's opponenets need to make a decision. double team shaq or double team stoudamire. ya certainly can't double both, not with the shooters that team has.

if i'm steve kerr i want to ask permission from miami to have a serious conversation with shaq himself before i pull the trigger on this trade, and there's two questions i want to ask... 1, how out of shape are you, 2, what are your retirement plans?

if shaq is in good enough shape where he can work himself into 20/10 shape, and would very much plan on retiring soon, especially if he wins another title... i'd say do it.

it's a high risk/high reward type of deal... it's either going to bring home a championship or completely blow up in phoenix's face. if shaq has just enough for one more title run and then retires at year's end, clearing 20 million off phoenix's cap and eliminating the obvious tension that exists with shawn marion's dumbfuck idea that he could do what he does on any team... it could be an absolute coup. if shaq just can't do it, really is done, but sticks around to collect his entire paycheck, it would be an absolute disaster.

:shrug: i may lean towards doing it... after all, we need to remember one thing. since 1980 22 of the past 28 NBA Champions have had one of 5 players on the team... Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan and Shaq, and either Shaq, Jordan or Ducan has been involved in every single NBA Finals since 1995.

p.s. - shaq is allegedly in phoenix as we speak taking a physical.

The San Antnoio's and LA's of the world can't be too happy about the prospect of this trade, but David Stern must be salivating...imagine a Lakers/Suns western conf finals pitting Shaq vs Kobe, and the Celtics awaiting the winner in the NBA finals...ratings could get back to 80's early 90's levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom