NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When a HoFer like Rickey Henderson refers to himself in the 3rd person it's a little annoying/occasionally amusing. When some D-list ESPN talking head does it it's just pathetic. Maybe/hopefully he was joking, or the guy who says he did it is lying.

Quite frankly, that's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I wonder if Stephen A. and Skip Bayless are BFFs.

Celts rally to win in Detroit, Big Baby with 20 (16 in the 4th). Nice W.

I'm sure they had no idea. I'd think the networks are kicking themselves too...the Celts are hot and they're stuck showing Miami all the time. I have no idea how far in advance the TNT/ESPN games are locked in, or if they have any kind of "flex" deal like NBC does with football.

espn/tnt & abc games are scheduled prior to the season. i believe abc has the right to change a game but they have to give a few weeks notice, and they obviously wouldn't want to put any game up against the NFL playoffs.

1/27 - Suns/Bulls, Cavs/Lakers
2/3 - Mavs/Pistons
2/10 - Nuggets/Cavs, Lakers/Heat
2/24 - Pistons/Suns
3/2 - Bulls/Cavs, Mavs/Lakers
3/9 - Spurs/Suns
3/16 - Mavs/Heat
3/23 - Spurs/Mavs
3/30 - Rockets/Spurs
4/6 - Pistons/Heat, Mavs/Suns
4/13 - Heat/Cavs, Spurs/Lakers

the celtics have no abc games, which is just brilliant planning on the part of the worldwide leader. the spurs/celtics is an espn game on 2/10 at 7pm. i would imagine they could flip that to an ABC game, considering it's the same network, if they'd like and if the NBA allows.

The stupid thing for ABC is that the Garnett trade went through plenty early enough to put the Celts on at least once. Just the star power of Garnett, Pierce and Allen would make the Celts worthy, but now a winning pct of over .900 makes ABC execs look like idiots.

I mean the Heat 5 times including the Christmas Day game...and they are currently the worst team in the East and 2nd worst in the league only to Minnesota. I know Wade and Shaq have star power, but it didn't take a genius at the end of last season to see that Shaq is all but done and Wade can't carry the team on his own, so making Miami your Eastern Conf showcase team (tied with Cle with 5 games) should get some folks fired.

it's retarded.

they lucked out with the lakers being good this year... but they weren't supposed to be as good as they were.

anyone could see that the heat were gonna take a serious step back this year... maybe not as big a step back as they've taken, but they certainly weren't going to be title contenders. shaq's done and wade is too small and too inconsistant from the outside to be a lead scorer on a championship caliber team.

only a fool would believe that in a conference where lebon and a bunch of bums got all the way to the finals that a team consisting of garnett, allen and pierce wouldn't, at the very least, be competitive for the eastern conference title. apparently espn/abc employs a lot of fools... BUT EVERYTHING THEY SAY IS IMPORTANT!

Seriously. What game on that ABC list besides Spurs/Suns is something you'd really want to see? Pistons/Suns maybe...but the Mavs are nothing special IMO.

And yeah they got extremely luck w/the Lakers. If that Kobe trade went through...ouch. Of course they do have the Bulls a lot.

Eh, the Magic suck.

I really hope they didn't peak in November... again.

Jason Richardson was f**king unconscious last night.

So were the refs, but I digress :wink:

Edit: And if I hear the word "posterize" or any derivitave of poster in an NBA highlight again I might stab somebody. Cringe-worthy.

Last edited:
David Stern implements one of pickup sports' most reliable officiating decisions: the do-over.

Heat at Hawks, Shaq commits a foul with 51.9 seconds left and Hawks up 1. Hawks' official scorer has it recorded as Shaq's sixth foul when it's really only his fifth (due to a previous foul on Udonis Haslem being mistakenly assigned to Shaq). Heat complain, Hawks fail to correct the error, Hawks win, Heat file protest, final 51.9 seconds of game to be replayed sometime in March.

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:
Jason Richardson was f**king unconscious last night.

So were the refs, but I digress :wink:

Edit: And if I hear the word "posterize" or any derivitave of poster in an NBA highlight again I might stab somebody. Cringe-worthy.

3761_60266.jpg

posterized bitch

See that's what I'm talking about. It's Steve Nash. Throwing down on Steve Nash isn't really something to get all hyped over. :wink:

So ESPN this morning is reporting that Isiah is losing Dolan's support. I can't imagine why. Question is, could a firing be imminent? Knicks fans will throw a parade, can you picture a full MSG singing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead"? That would be pretty funny...

CTU2fan said:
See that's what I'm talking about. It's Steve Nash. Throwing down on Steve Nash isn't really something to get all hyped over. :wink:

So ESPN this morning is reporting that Isiah is losing Dolan's support. I can't imagine why. Question is, could a firing be imminent? Knicks fans will throw a parade, can you picture a full MSG singing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead"? That would be pretty funny...

1814998.jpg

posterized bitch

Much better :)

Now if I could only find some pics of Barkley dunking on Barney from that SNL skit...

Let's be fair...the Knicks were already messed up when Isiah took over. Scott Layden started the job. Isiah just made it worse.

The single biggest mistake of both Layden and Thomas is the refusal to let contracts run out.

They should have let Ewing's contract run out instead of trading for over-the-hill Glen Rice, Luc Longly, Travis Knight, and garbage.

They should have let Antonio Davis's contract run out instead of trading for Jalen Rose.

They should have let Penny Hardaway's contract run out instead of trading for Francis.

None of these trades accomplished anything other than throwing away golden opportunites to get out of the seventh circle of cap hell that they've been in.

If they had let Ewing's contract run out, much of the trouble could have been avoided at the beginning.

If AD and PH's contracts had been allowed to run out, huge progress would have been in getting out of cap hell.

Anyway...the point is, the Knicks were already messed up when Isiah took over. And he made it worse. Much worse.

it all started with poor poor slvako vranes :sad:

the last legitimate rays of light knick fans have had was the two week period in the pre-season when antonio mcdyess looked fantastic (before reinjuring his knee in the 4th quarter of a game he never should have been in), and about a two week period immediately after trading for marbury where ya had marbury penetrating with van horn and houston knocking down jumpers on either wing. then houston got hurt, and isiah traded van horn for 2 cents on the dime, and it's been darkness ever since.

and not that i'll ever defend scott layden... he sucked, too. but in his first 2 1/2 years (from the time he became GM to the time van gundy resigned) the knicks were 108-75.

as bad as the layden era was, the thomas era stands alone...
Layden - 175-181 49%
Thomas - 127-208 38%

but, of course, as i've said all along... there's one common factor involved in both dreadful eras of knick basketball. the owner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom