NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
Now lets see, Paul Pierce is an LA area native.
His salary would line up nicely in a Kobe trade just like Ben Wallace's would.
So if you're the Lakers, who do you want to pay $15mil a year to if you trade Kobe, Pierce who'll get you 25PPG, 7RPG and 5APG or Ben who'll give you 2.8PPG, 8.9RPG and 0.0001APG?

Pierce, #5 pick and Gerald Green(or Rajon Rondo) straight up for Kobe. (Lakers get to keep Bynum in this scenario)
Kobe and Al Jefferson could be a formidable 1-2 punch in the (L)East.
And Danny Ainge left on a jet for LA last night with a DVD of Paul Piecre's highlights under one arm and the name of a great DUI lawyer under the other arm.

The plot thickens.

I dislike Kobe Bryant, but there's no denying his talent and the Celtics should seriously look into that, although it probably won't happen.

U2@NYC said:

I think it's about time for you to acknowledge that he is a good player... I mean, 3 finals in 5 years... not bad.
Take Tim Duncan off the team and its zero finals in 5 years.

Take Manu off, its 3 finals in 5 years.

Hewson said:
Take Tim Duncan off the team and its zero finals in 5 years.

Take Manu off, its 3 finals in 5 years.

And your point is?

I never said Manu was the star of the team, I just said he is a good player.

U2@NYC said:

I think it's about time for you to acknowledge that he is a good player... I mean, 3 finals in 5 years... not bad.

i never said ginobli wasn't a good player. he is/was. he seems to me to have lost a step this season... perhaps he's injured and not letting on... but he's still a nice quality player who would be held in the same regard as hedo turkaglou if he wasn't playing along side the (arguarbly) greatest power forward of all time.

that said, he flops so much it drives you crazy. i think it's about time that you acknowledge that.

U2@NYC said:

And your point is?

I never said Manu was the star of the team, I just said he is a good player.

You said this:
U2@NYC said:

The sentence implies that Manu is the reason the Spurs have made 3 finals in 5 years.
I simply pointed out that the one player most responsible is Duncan.

Would you call Scottie Pippen the greatest player of the 90's because of his 6 rings?

Did Greg Kite or Scott Wedman lead the Celts to titles in the 80's?
Or Kurt Rambis lead the Lakers to 5 rings?

Your wording implied that a role player was the reason behind the Spurs' success.

Manflop is a good role player.

There are now reports saying that the Knicks are the only team Kobe wants to be traded to.

I, for one, find that hard to believe. He's citing poor management as the primary reason for wanting out, so why in god's name would he want to go to NYK? That's like saying, I'm going to stop smoking cigars now because I don't want to get cancer, and instead, I'm going to start smoking cigarrettes.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

horace grant? his career went downhill when he signed with orlando.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/horace_grant/index.html

He was one hell of a role player to average 14 ppg and 10 rpg.

And as far as his stats go in Orlando, they didn't drop that much. In fact, he was one of the big reasons Orlando almost won a championship. Nick Anderson just decided to ruin that. Poor Nick Anderson.

The rest of the players were certainly products of Jordan/triangle offense.

Got Philk? said:

And as far as his stats go in Orlando, they didn't drop that much. In fact, he was one of the big reasons Orlando almost won a championship. Nick Anderson just decided to ruin that. Poor Nick Anderson.

I agree with you about Horace Grant, he was a great piece to that Magic team. Nick Anderson gets such a bad rap for that. He's still the Magic's all-time leading scorer. Also, Brian Hill is a coach who does not know how to make adjustments in a playoff series, look at the recent Magic/Pistons sweep for example. Plus, I think that Rockets team was better than the Magic anyway.

Still, there's absolutely no reason why the Magic were swept in that series or the Bulls series in '96 with the talent level they had.

Back to Nick Anderson's career implosion, does anyone think the same thing will happen to Dirk? I personally don't think so, but losing in the Finals and the being destroyed in the first round on a 60+ win team seems pretty disheartening to me.

Last edited:
if isiah can pull it off, i will publicly appologize for all my bashings of the little piece of shit.

You can't seriously believe that Kobe wants to come to NY.

I really think that report is BS.

i seriously believe that kobe bryant knows full well that him + anyone else = instant eastern conference contender.

and once you get to the finals, anything can happen, esp. when you have a superior talent capable of taking over a game by himself.

that, along with the advertising draw of new york city? a chance for an egomaniac to be the savior of the team in the biggest city in america? where he would be treated like a God if he ever managed to bring home a title?

nahh... why would he want that.

he's upset with the lakers because he thinks they've lied and leaked harmful information about kobe to the press.

dolan may be a moron, but he seems to be a nice guy to his players. :shrug:

Last edited:
Hewson said:
He was no Harvey Grant.

Look! It's the same person!
index.html

Got Philk? said:

charles oakley is my favorite player of all time... 12 and 12 in 94 when the knicks went to the final, 107 starts including playoffs, still an nba record... he was a role player. role player is not an insult to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2888555

Source: Donovan offered $6M per to coach Magic

After weeks of waiting for the University of Florida to finalize his new seven-year contract, the Orlando Magic have entered Billy Donovan's world and given him another substantial offer to ponder.

After leading the Gators to the last two national championships, the 42-year-old Donovan has received a contract offer from the Magic worth $6 million annually, a source told ESPN.com's Pat Forde.

Team officials told the Orlando Sentinel, which first reported the story on its Web site, that Donovan is expected to take the job.

When asked about the job Wednesday, Donovan told the Sentinel he had not spoken with the Magic. Donovan had not contacted Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley as of Thursday afternoon to say whether he's accepted the job, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com.

Donovan's new contract at Florida -- it was presented to him on May 17 but he had yet to sign it as of May 25 -- was to pay him around $3 million in the first year. The contract then was to escalate to more than $3.75 in guaranteed income by the end of the contract in 2013-14, a person familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.com

The 42-year-old Donovan is one of only 12 college basketball coaches to win multiple national championships. The Gators won their second straight in April after beating Ohio State.

The Magic removed Brian Hill as coach on May 23 after two consecutive losing seasons and a first-round sweep in this year's playoffs.

Information from ESPN.com's Andy Katz and Mark Schlabach was used in this report.

I'm not sure how to react to this. Should I be excited? Scared? Will he be another college bust or a legitimately good coach?

charles oakley is my favorite player of all time... 12 and 12 in 94 when the knicks went to the final, 107 starts including playoffs, still an nba record... he was a role player. role player is not an insult to me.

No, I was just pointing out two things. One, you cannot lump Horace Grant with Scott Williams, Luc Longley and Bill Wennington and go on to say the only decent player besides Jordan/Pippen was maybe BJ Armstrong. That is a discredit to Ho Grant.

And two, his play didn't drop in orlando for 4-5 seasons.

I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing with a Knicks fan. It's known to happen. :wink:

Hewson said:

Your wording implied that a role player was the reason behind the Spurs' success.

Not really.

Also, if he flops so much, why do refs buy his acting?

He is a much better player than what you give him credit for... he carried the Argentine team to Olympic gold, and there was no Tim Duncan there. And he should have been the MVP in the last Spurs vs. Pistons finals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom