NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
namkcuR said:
And Deng would be the perfect sidekick for Kobe.

So was Caron Butler and Lamar Odom...

do you think most bulls fans just don't like kobe because he is not on the bulls and could be one of the most talented players in the NBA right now?

I think some think he's been trying to be Jordan from the beginning. But NEVER would I be pissed that the best player in the NBA isn't on my team if the best player acts like Kobe.

I know he is good. And he very well could be the best player in the NBA. That is up to interpretation and I think it just depends on how you look at best player. Most clutch? I would give that to Kobe with Billups close second. Best player? I'm still undecided. He can put the ball in the hole that's for sure. But I don't like the way he leads or coexists with his teammates. Yes he is at a higher level than all of them. But he sure does make that known. If you're fed you are nothing you'll believe it.

Watch Steve Nash with all his players. Sincere apologies when he makes a mistake. Trust is sooooo evident. maybe it's players. But I tend to think it has more to do with the leader of their team.

Got Philk? said:

So was Caron Butler and Lamar Odom...

Lamar Odom is overrated. And Caron Butler never really got the chance to play with Kobe....he was injured for most of the one year, and then he was traded for Kwame freaking Brown. Caron could've been real good with Kobe.

namkcuR said:

No, no they wouldn't.

You're talking about giving up two guys who will at some point average in the neighborhood of 25ppg, with Deng also in the neighborhood of 6-10 boards per game, PLUS Tyrus, PLUS the draft pick, all for a 30 year old who has 2, maybe 3 years before he starts to really decline.

It would be worth if for those two or three years we had a legitimate no-questions-asked window for a championship, but no matter how bad you think the East is, you are nuts if you think Noc/Kobe/Hinrich/Thabo/Duhon are going to the finals. Seriously.

lebron & a bunch of bums are 2 games away from the finals. kobe's better than lebron. call me crazy, but, yea...

and the disagreement over who gets the better deal comes over your insistance that deng and gordon are "special" players. frankly, deng has a chance to maybe average 25 a game, but i would not be shocked if neither of them ever did. you're over-rating your players a wee bit too much.

deng, good player.
gordon, nice player.
kobe, great player, potential to be a legendary player.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

lebron & a bunch of bums are 2 games away from the finals. kobe's better than lebron. call me crazy, but, yea...

and the disagreement over who gets the better deal comes over your insistance that deng and gordon are "special" players. frankly, deng has a chance to maybe average 25 a game, but i would not be shocked if neither of them ever did. you're over-rating your players a wee bit too much.

deng, good player.
gordon, nice player.
kobe, great player, potential to be a legendary player.

LeBron & a bunch of bums is right. I don't think the Cavs deserve to be where they are. Likewise, I don't WANT the Bulls to be a team that gets to the Finals just because the conference sucks that bad. I WANT the Bulls to be a legitimately good team that gets to the Finals because they legitimately bulldozed through all the other teams in the conference.

If Deng and Gordon are Lamar and Caron, we don't have a Wade to keep and pair up with Shaq(Kobe). Hinrich/Kobe/Noc/Thabo/Duhon has NO long-term benefits to it. I don't want to route for a team that's hoping to just survive a less-than-stellar conference on the back of an aging superstar only to get clobbered by whoever comes out of the West. I am willing to trade Gordon, but not Deng.

And yes, when it comes down to it, I see more for Deng in the future than you do.

I'm right with you Namkur.

With Deng, someone said 25 ppg but what you don't realize is he can easily average 6-8 rebounds a game and if he tacks on 3-4 assists, he is a star every year.

My comparisons of Deng to Pippen are long arms, iffy to not good 3 pointer, tough defense, runs the floor etc. Pippen was my favorite Bull. NObody will be him again.

Tayshawn :angry:. :mad: I hate the pistons. Every damn year. Pistons Pistons DEEEEEEEEEETROOOOIT BAAAAAASKETBAAAAALLL :mad:

deserve shmerve... they're there.

you seem to think luol deng is on track to have some hall of fame career. i think he's on track to be an all star a couple of times. kobe's already in the hall of fame, and he's only 28. michael jordan won his first championship at 28. aging superstar? please...

me saying that luol deng is not in the same stratosphere as kobe bryant and never will be is not a diss on luol deng. he's a good player. he should be an all star type player. he's never gonna be kobe bryant.

you seem to think luol deng is on track to have some hall of fame career. i think he's on track to be an all star a couple of times. kobe's already in the hall of fame, and he's only 28. michael jordan won his first championship at 28. aging superstar? please...

me saying that luol deng is not in the same stratosphere as kobe bryant and never will be is not a diss on luol deng. he's a good player. he should be an all star type player. he's never gonna be kobe bryant.

completely agree :up:

i'm not a kobe fan... never have been. but you can't deny his talent. the knicks don't have the young, cheap pieces & draft picks ( :mad: ) that the bulls have... but anyone they want... curry, lee, frye, future picks, the rangers, eli manning, radio city music hall, clyde frazier's muttonchops, bloomberg's matzoah... anyone, anything... they can have it. a player of kobe's ability in the prime of his career, not even 30 yet, does not become available too often.

Last edited:
I just want him to legally change his name to Black Mamba, like World B. Free did.

I did not say hall of famer. Maybe. I said 25 ppg which I believe were words you said earlier, 6-8 rebounds and 3-4 assists. That's all star numbers. Hall of fame players in this day and age are few...who's next after Kobe? LeBron? I think Deng could be as good as "King" James.

That said, I think we can agree on this. Getting a superstar is vital. Deng could end up being a go to guy. But having him as the second man or getting someone to open him up for those mid range jumpers would be a good fit for him I feel.

I'm not disagreeing with you about Luol. I never said he's going to be HOF or in the same stratosphere as Kobe. All I said was that I do think he'll average 22-25/6-9/2-3 assists at some point. I think him AND Gordon AND a pick is too much for Kobe.

The PRIMARY reason for this is not because I think we're giving up an HOF in Deng, but because I think the team left behind with Kobe is shit. I don't want to watch Kobe carry Hinrich/Noc/whoever all the way to the Finals to lose to the Western champion. I want to watch a full team. I want to watch a GOOD team. I watched my Bulls win six titles. You might think it was just MJ and crap, but you'd be wrong.

If you want to watch the guy try to do it all himself with a mediocre supporting cast, good for you. I only want him on my team if we have a GOOD team around him. And to me, Deng/Hinrich/BigBen is a GOOD team to put around Kobe. Hinrich/Noc/Thabo/Duhon is not.

And one other thing....Noc and #9 cannot be traded together. Noc's contract is up and he has to be resigned before being traded. He can't be resigned until mid-july, the draft is the end of June. We'd have to take LA's guy in the draft and hope they go through with the deal, or we'd be stuck with a rookie we didn't want.

And I say look at the numbers Deng probably will put up. Those are the kind of numbers a superstar...ANY superstar needs from a teammate to win.

Trade Gordon. If anything, he showed us in the playoffs he cannot guard anyone at the two and vs Chauncey Billups...he looked ridiculous. And I know he says he likes the big shot at the end of the game. Problem is, he is too small to take that shot when anyone his height or taller is guarding him. And teams double team him so he cannot find the open man again, b/c he's only like 5'11".

he can do amazing things with the ball in his hands. But Deng to me serves a role that is needed much more on an NBA team.

I heard the Jazz are going to the Championship!
Tim Duncan bought them all tickets so they can watch from the bleachers:angry:

Now lets see, Paul Pierce is an LA area native.
His salary would line up nicely in a Kobe trade just like Ben Wallace's would.
So if you're the Lakers, who do you want to pay $15mil a year to if you trade Kobe, Pierce who'll get you 25PPG, 7RPG and 5APG or Ben who'll give you 2.8PPG, 8.9RPG and 0.0001APG?

Pierce, #5 pick and Gerald Green(or Rajon Rondo) straight up for Kobe. (Lakers get to keep Bynum in this scenario)
Kobe and Al Jefferson could be a formidable 1-2 punch in the (L)East.
And Danny Ainge left on a jet for LA last night with a DVD of Paul Piecre's highlights under one arm and the name of a great DUI lawyer under the other arm.

The plot thickens.

Well now after watching Sportscenter last night, they showed an audio recording of Kobe last night stating that he has absolutely no interest of leaving the Lakers now...

Magic said he won't let Kobe leave...

namkcuR said:

I'm not disagreeing with you about Luol. I never said he's going to be HOF or in the same stratosphere as Kobe. All I said was that I do think he'll average 22-25/6-9/2-3 assists at some point. I think him AND Gordon AND a pick is too much for Kobe.

The PRIMARY reason for this is not because I think we're giving up an HOF in Deng, but because I think the team left behind with Kobe is shit. I don't want to watch Kobe carry Hinrich/Noc/whoever all the way to the Finals to lose to the Western champion. I want to watch a full team. I want to watch a GOOD team. I watched my Bulls win six titles. You might think it was just MJ and crap, but you'd be wrong.

If you want to watch the guy try to do it all himself with a mediocre supporting cast, good for you. I only want him on my team if we have a GOOD team around him. And to me, Deng/Hinrich/BigBen is a GOOD team to put around Kobe. Hinrich/Noc/Thabo/Duhon is not.

And one other thing....Noc and #9 cannot be traded together. Noc's contract is up and he has to be resigned before being traded. He can't be resigned until mid-july, the draft is the end of June. We'd have to take LA's guy in the draft and hope they go through with the deal, or we'd be stuck with a rookie we didn't want.

if you don't want to part with deng, then you don't want kobe. there is no combo of players the bulls have that does not include luol deng that is capable of prying the best player in the league away. period. the lakers would have to be f'ing morons to trade kobe to chicago and not get deng in return.

secondly... there is no team other than the knicks that i have watched more than the jordan bulls team, considering they were the knicks #1 rival for all those years. i know those teams very very well. especially during the first three championships, those teams very much were jordan, pippen, and a bunch of good roleplayers, nothing more. do we need to go down the list of guys who were big contributers on those bulls team, left, and were never the same player? they filled a need, they filled a role. even pippen, as great a defensive player as he was, wasn't the same player without jordan. jordan was just that good. horace grant? his career went downhill when he signed with orlando. scott williams signed a big deal with philly after his run with chicago... bummity bum bum bum. craig hodges, john paxson, stacey king, will purdue... who are these guys? what have they ever done besides being michael jordan's teammates? bj armstrong was a nice solid player... his best year was 14 and 4.

the second run saw a little better talent... but in reality, when you look at the roster, it was a bunch of afterthoughs... ron harper? he was washed up before he came to chicago. he had lost all his explosiveness, and pretty much remade his entire game to fill a need. nobody else wanted denis rodman. he was a risk that only a team with jordan could take. kukoc was traded 3 times in 4 years after jordan retired. luc longley? bill wennington? come on... despite bill being an alum of the high school i coach at, i can't say he's anything more than a solid, mediocre roleplayer.

those bulls teams were filled... FILLED.. with mediocrity. average players who filled a need, who knew their role.

kobe + mediocre players + eastern conference = favorite to reach the finals

kobe + 1 other good player + mediocre players = serious title contender for the next 5+ years

the bulls as is? they can't even get out of the 2nd round in a shitty conference.

:shrug: but hey... if you still thnk that luol deng is the answer, then for your sake i hope you're right. frankly i see him getting marginaly better than what he already is. 22, 8 & 4, good defense, not a complainer. a guy most teams would love to have, but not a guy who's going to carry a team to a championship. a second fiddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom