NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread Part III - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #436
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:19 AM
If Kobe goes to the Knicks, who would Isiah send over to the Lakers?

Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson, Quentin Richardson, Channing Frye, plus an '08 pick?

RealGM says it works (ID: 3948680)

Old 06-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #437
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:19 AM
do it

and ya know isiah has no problem unprotecting picks

Old 06-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #438
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

He's a real genius at that

I wonder if he's dumb enough to send them David Lee instead of Nate Robinson...
Old 06-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #439
Blue Crack Distributor

i would imagine LA would want Lee instead of Robinson... if that's what it takes, i'm all for it.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #440
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:19 AM
Remember Kobe has final say, and he can opt out at the end of next season anyway? Is that right?

For that, I'd think the Knicks over the Bulls. The Lakers would no doubt prefer what the Bulls can offer, but consider Kobe's arrogance - he probably wants above all else to build his own supreme legacy or something. At the Lakers, he's a part of a long and large history. At the Bulls, no matter what he does, he'll always be behind Jordan. At the Knicks though... win a Championship in New York after 30 years or whatever without..... they'll knock down the Statue of Liberty and put one of Kobe there.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #441
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

i dont think kobe will go to NY,

My reasoning is that he wants to win championships NOW. Chicago has the talent enough with him to win a championship EASILY. New York did not even make the playoffs, and so then if he were to be traded to NY, that would be a Laker team but now in NY, with different players.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #442
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i would imagine LA would want Lee instead of Robinson... if that's what it takes, i'm all for it.
Me too, but I can't underestimate the stupidity of Mitch Kupchak.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #443
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

Me too, but I can't underestimate the stupidity of Mitch Kupchak.
But Kupchak is a figurehead. He has no real power. For lesser trades, he might make the decisions, but when it's Kobe Bryant being traded, and you have Kupchak and Jim Buss running things, you can bet that Jerry Buss is taking the reigns. You can bet that Jerry Buss will have absolute and final say over what comes back for Kobe, because this is the kind of deal that makes or breaks a franchise.

If it's done wrong, the reprecussions will last for YEARS.

Just ask Headache. The Knicks were still a respected franchise when Scott Layden decided it was time to trade Patrick Ewing, for no apparent reason. I understand the circumstances weren't the same - Ewing was past his prime and wasn't demanding a trade - but all the same, it was a big-market team trading one of the biggest superstars of his era/generation, and the Knicks got absolute shit in return. Bad contracts, scrubs, a guy or two that never played a minute for the Knicks. That deal was THE spark that sent the Knicks into a downward spiral from which they still haven't really recovered.

The difference is this: Layden was working under Jim Dolan. Dolan doesn't know enough about basketball to understand the implications of what was going down.

I think Jerry Buss does, and I don't think there's any way in hell he lets Kupchak make the decisions concerning this thing.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #444
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Either way, since Shaq's trade the Lakers organization has arguably made some bad front office moves, but never to the same degree as the Layden/Dolan Knicks or even Billy King's 76ers. If they make a trade with the Knicks, maybe the one I showed above, they could at least have tools to rebuild the team while the Knicks get some spark in a relatively shitty Eastern Conference.

The Lakers are just unfortunate to be in such a stacked conference with a mediocre team. What I don't understand is how Kobe demands huge money and then attacks the organization for putting better talent on the team. That just seems retarded to me.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #445
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Either way, since Shaq's trade the Lakers organization has arguably made some bad front office moves, but never to the same degree as the Layden/Dolan Knicks or even Billy King's 76ers. If they make a trade with the Knicks, maybe the one I showed above, they could at least have tools to rebuild the team while the Knicks get some spark in a relatively shitty Eastern Conference.

The Lakers are just unfortunate to be in such a stacked conference with a mediocre team. What I don't understand is how Kobe demands huge money and then attacks the organization for putting better talent on the team. That just seems retarded to me.
He's talking about trades that were passed up. They could have had Kidd for Bynum. There were deals for Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, and others that were passed up. That has little to do with how much Kobe is getting paid. If he were complaining that the Lakers weren't signing enough good free agents, that would be retarded.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #446
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

The Kidd trade seemed like a no brainer to me too, I don't know why they didn't take it.

The Kobe's money thing is unrelated to what I was talking about before. I should've made a better distinction.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #447
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

ccccccccc'mmmmmmmmmmonnnnnnnnnnn chicago!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #448
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Just ask Headache. The Knicks were still a respected franchise when Scott Layden decided it was time to trade Patrick Ewing, for no apparent reason. I understand the circumstances weren't the same - Ewing was past his prime and wasn't demanding a trade - but all the same, it was a big-market team trading one of the biggest superstars of his era/generation, and the Knicks got absolute shit in return. Bad contracts, scrubs, a guy or two that never played a minute for the Knicks. That deal was THE spark that sent the Knicks into a downward spiral from which they still haven't really recovered.
well, the ewing trade was the move that started the downward spiral into salary cap hell... this is true. but there are two things fundamentaly wrong with the rest of your statement.

a) dave checketts traded ewing. layden was, technicaly, the GM at the time... but he couldn't wipe his ass without checketts' permission. cheketts was president of all of MSG, and was head honcho for both the rangers and the knicks. when he quit in 2001, largely due to not wanting to deal with dolan any longer they split the two up and gave layden full reign over the knicks & glen sather full reign over the rangers.
b) ewing asked to be traded... the knicks shopped him around briefly before chaning their minds, and when hearing of this, ewing demanded to be traded with 1 year left on his contract. checketts feld he "owed it" to the franchise center to oblige to his request after all he'd done for the franchise. if they would have just held on and let the contract expire... well... the rest is history, of course.

but the all around point being that you will fuck your franchise for years to come if you trade a huge contract and don't get expiring contracts and/or young players back in return, is, of course, quite true.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #449
Blue Crack Distributor

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss
Old 06-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #450
Blue Crack Distributor

apparently the hot draft day rumor is al jefferson, gerald green, sebastian telfair, theo ratliff, the #5 pick to minnesota for garnett