NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that, but what can you do?

Personally, if I were Otis Smith, I would've re-signed Darko, let Grant Hill go, package two of your 3 expiring contracts for a slasher, Corey Maggette perhaps? For maybe 1/2 the price of Lewis who does basically the same thing, while still keeping their best shooters, Redick and Turkoglu, on the team.

I just hope Lewis has good ankles.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:
Bill Simmons has dubbed Lewis' contract as the worst in the history of professional sports.
Given the gift of hindsight, I'd say Carl Pavano has him beat. But the Lewis money is rigoddamndiculous. So #2.

The Lewis signing is making me more depressed every time I read about it. At least J.J. Redick appears to be tearing up the summer league... but so is Shannon Brown, I digress.

I absolutely hate the fact that I come home to no news about Kobe leaving L.A..

I'm a huge Kobe fan, but if he ends up winning championchips, it WONT be with the Lakers, unless a miracle comes to them and they get KG, which I doubt because he might go to the Suns soon.

I really don't care if he goes to the Bulls now. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Kobe with the Bulls, but right now I just want him to leave and win.

Also heard Chauncey re-signed with the Pistons, kinda wanted him to leave and also heard Derek Fisher wanting to leave and he got released from the Jazz cuz of family issues...

I'm not so happy either about Vince Carter re-signing with the Nets because I really wanted him to leave...

This is going to be a huge story me thinks. I heard on ESPN radio that there are already fans asking for refunds.

FBI investigating ref over NBA betting

Associated Press
7/20/2007 3:53:19 PM

NEW YORK (AP) - The FBI is investigating allegations that a veteran NBA referee bet on basketball games over the past two seasons, including ones in which he officiated.

According to a law enforcement official, authorities are examining whether the referee, identified by CBS Sportsline and ESPN as Tim Donaghy, made calls to affect the point spread in games on which he or associates had wagered.

The law enforcement official, who spoke to the AP on Friday on condition of anonymity, said the referee was aware of the investigation and had made arrangements to surrender as early as next week to face charges. The official, who did not identify the referee, is familiar with the investigation but was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

The law enforcement official said the bets involved thousands of dollars and were made on games during the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons.

The NBA issued a brief statement Friday: "We have been asked by the FBI, with whom we are working closely, not to comment on this matter at this time."

The FBI probe, which began recently, also involves allegations that the referee had connections to organized crime associates. Other arrests are expected, the official said.

The referee had a gambling problem, according to the official, and was approached by low-level mob associates through an acquaintance.

The investigation first was reported Friday by the New York Post.

"I'm shocked, terribly shocked," said Gary Benson, an NBA official for 17 years, who retired two years ago because of knee problems. "Those are people that you work with and that you literally - you spend more time with those people than you do with your family."

Nevada gambling regulators were not involved in an investigation and had no information about the allegations, said Jerry Markling, enforcement chief for the state Gaming Commission and Gaming Control Board.

Markling, in Las Vegas, said he learned of the probe from news accounts.

"The allegations were new to us," said Mark Clayton, a control board member. "However, we will continue to monitor them to ascertain whether there is any connection to Nevada's licensed sports books."

Veteran oddsmaker John Avello, at the Wynn resort on the Las Vegas Strip, said that without specific information it would be difficult to identify wagering irregularities over the last two seasons.

"At this point, it's too early to know if any games were affected," Avello said, adding that no regulators or investigators had contacted him about the case.

Jay Kornegay, executive director of the sports book at the Las Vegas Hilton, said he had never seen any unusual activity in NBA betting, and was surprised not to have heard about an investigation until Friday.

"Whispers would have happened on the street, and we would have heard something," Kornegay said. "Any type of suspicious or unusual movements, you usually hear in the industry. We're so regulated and policed, any kind of suspicion would be discussed.

"We haven't seen anything like that in the NBA that I can remember," he said, "and we haven't been contacted by anybody."

Kornegay said legal sports betting in Nevada represents a fraction of sports betting worldwide, with 98.5 per cent of all action taken outside the state. Clayton cited a 2005 estimate by the National Gambling Impact Study Commission that found US$380 billion is wagered on illegal sports betting, compared with $2.25 billion in legal sports betting in Nevada.

Gambling long has been a problem in sports, and leagues have made a point of educating players of the potential pitfalls. The NBA, for example, discusses gambling at rookie orientation, even bringing in former mobster Michael Franceze to speak.

NBA commissioner David Stern had long objected to putting a team in Las Vegas because it permits betting on basketball, though earlier this year allowed Mayor Oscar Goodman to submit a proposal to owners on how the city would handle wagering on a team if it moved there.

Goodman argues that legalized gambling, monitored by the Nevada Gaming Commission, prevents these types of suspicious activities.

"We're the only regulatory agency in the world that really looks at unusual activity as far as the movement of the line and that type of conduct," he said. "I think it's a good thing that Las Vegas has the type of regulation that makes sure that bad things don't happen."

I was listening to the hilarious Stephen A. Smith podcast about this, you're right, this is going to be huge.

The #1 problem with this league other than conference disparity is poor officiating... then there's this.

Oh boy.

^Here we go...This was not the right time to come out with this news:|

btw, Derek Fisher signed with the Lakers today..Maybe they'll get someone else and Kobe won't leave:shrug:

The Suns traded Kurt Thomas to the Sonics for that 8-9 mil trade exception they got from the Rashard Lewis trade.

That could be a big part in getting KG to Phoenix if that's still in the works.

Hewson said:
Given the gift of hindsight, I'd say Carl Pavano has him beat. But the Lewis money is rigoddamndiculous. So #2.

Is meche #3?

I think the NBA should just sell itself like the WCW or WWF or something!

I know four NBA referees because many live in my area. In fact, there are five NBA refs from my area:

Duke Callahan - Cardinal O'Hara (lives in Drexel Hill)
Tim Donaghy - Cardinal O'Hara (lived in Drexel Hill and West Chester)
Joey Crawford - Cardinal O'Hara (lives in Newtown Square)
Eddie Malloy - Cardinal O'Hara (lives in Havertown)
Mark Wunderlich - Landsdowne-Aldon (lives in West Chester)

Callahan is buddies with my uncle, Crawford from time to time goes to my church, about 20 minutes from Newtown Square, I met Eddie Malloy at a few basketball games in the area, and Wunderlich's kid played in the area for a while. I knew nothing of Donaghy before the incident, but my dad knew him from his Drexel Hill days. He said, "When I heard the story, my first thought was Donaghy. He's still a nitwit. He was always a wise guy. I've known him since he was eight. I mean, I'm surprised that a ref did that, but knowing that, I'm not surprised at all that it was Donaghy."

That's cool that you knew them...

I found it hilarious when they interviewed nash about it abd he said "he must of reffed game 5 of the suns and spurs game"

Btw he didn't :lol:

Nash goes "I haven't actually read the article, so I have no comment, but I wanted to say that."

He reffed Game 3, which was actually worse if I recall.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkKdXLwt0U

My favorite is actually the first one, where he runs in five seconds later from halfcourt to call a foul when no one even touched Manu.

Good thing Drexel Hill has a few decent refs to make up for him. Duke and Eddie are very, very good guys. So is Joe, although he's more than a little cocky when it comes to the reffing.

Last edited:
zoney! said:

Is meche #3?!
I dunno, Meche's ERA is 3.63, he has 7 wins which should be at least 10 with any kind of run support. While the money was eye-popping at the time, I think Meche will do pretty well for KC, his salary was just the first in a slew of overinflated signings last off season.
He's not an 11 mil/yr pitcher, but he's no bust either.

So rumors are swirling that Garnett to the Celtics for Jefferson/Ratliff is almost a done deal, just waiting for a KG contract extension to be worked out.

"As the trade currently stands, Boston would send Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair and two future first-round picks to Minnesota in exchange for Garnett. The Timberwolves will not agree to a deal unless Jefferson is included."

Is Ainge off his rocker? This trade reminds me of what the Cowboys got for Herschel Walker. How can Ainge honestly be considering this?

Just an hour ago, boston.com was saying Jefferson wasn't in the deal, which seemed somewhat fair, but this one is just loony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom