NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I think Oden should be the first pick, the Blazers need a perimeter scorer like Durant more.

The only thing that makes sense to me is if they draft Oden and trade Randolph for a guy like Antawn Jamison or maybe Shawn Marion? I don't know.

And who's the Sonics' best big guy? Robert Swift? Nick Collison? Danny Fortson? My point exactly.

i wouldn't be stunned if one or both of these two were a bust... but if i had to pick one that had the better chance of being a bust, it would certainly be oden...

... but he would also be the guy with the greatest "tremendous upside potential." in other words, his ceiling is higher than durant's, but so is his basement.

4 days until the draft :hyper:

I'm more excited to see how bad the Hawks mess up their 2 draft picks.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i wouldn't be stunned if one or both of these two were a bust... but if i had to pick one that had the better chance of being a bust, it would certainly be oden...

... but he would also be the guy with the greatest "tremendous upside potential." in other words, his ceiling is higher than durant's, but so is his basement.

See I was thinking just the opposite :wink: Barring catastrophic injury I'd be Stunned if either was a bust, especially Oden. To me his floor is Alonzo Mourning's game as a Hornet.

And even though I would take Oden first every time, I think Durant has more upside. He hasn't even begun filling out his frame, and should have a better all-court game than Oden.

LemonMacPhisto said:
4 days until the draft :hyper:

I'm more excited to see how bad the Hawks mess up their 2 draft picks.

Can someone clue me on on some key dates. The draft is Wednesday the 27th?

When can trades begin, and free agent signings?

Thanking whomever in advance :happy:

The draft is on June 28th, 7 ET on ESPN.

I think trades/free agent signings officially start on July 1st.

Bluer White said:

See I was thinking just the opposite :wink: Barring catastrophic injury I'd be Stunned if either was a bust, especially Oden. To me his floor is Alonzo Mourning's game as a Hornet.

And even though I would take Oden first every time, I think Durant has more upside. He hasn't even begun filling out his frame, and should have a better all-court game than Oden.

that's quite the basement... people forget how nasty mourning was pre-kidney disease.

i'd be very surprised, based off of what i've seen from him thus far, if oden will be as good as stoudamire or howard, let alone alonzo mourning.

we're talking about a player who's only really playing basketball because of how tall he is, who wanted to be a dentist, and who had a grand total of one very good game in his freshman year of college, playing against far inferior talent to what he's going to face next year. when i see oden i see a player who in 5-10 years we're going to be talking about how good he could be if he'd only have his mind and heart into it all the time. i think he's soft.

then again, i could very well be dead wrong... and i hope i do, we need some great centers back in the league.

as for durant... look... i don't put much stock into combine stats... but dude couldn't even put up 185 once after a year at a top flight D1 university... that's at the very least a bit alarming.

NBA TV's airing a marathon of all of the drafts since 1984 until Thursday.

I'm watching the '84 Draft right now, the Rockets just picked "Akeem" Olajuwon. When did he make the switch to Hakeem?

LMP, I'm at the '86 draft. I'm actually on camera a few times. I'm at the 1985 draft, too, just not on camera.

If memory serves, and I could be off....for these drafts, the players are actually in the crowd, facing Stern, not in a green room in the back like now. So...I think....and, again, could be wrong...but I think that when Lenny Bias gets picked during the '86 draft, you can see me and my best friend right behind him.....if we're not on camera, it's only because we were literally sitting a row or two behind him....talking about Bias always bums me out, that was sad. I was your age when he died, so, imagine if you heard, a week or two after the draft, that Mike Conley or Al Horford died. Strange.

Thats pretty cool that you were at the draft, but man, the Bias story always depresses me. He was the guy that was going to keep the Celtics a contender for at least another decade.

I am no Celtic fan, but, yeah, it was very tragic. That whole draft was littered with sad stories, a lot of drugs and such.

Also, I'm a 76'er fan, so that's a dark day for us....76'ers held the #1 and #23 pick, and had Moses Malone on the roster....that was the story before my friend and I left school to get on the train to go to the Garden and the draft...we get to the draft, and now the Cavs have the first pick, Bullets the 23rd...I asked James Brown, the CBS commentator, who was not a big deal at the time, what had happened...and he told me...fucking Philly dealt the #1 pick to the Cavs for Roy Hinson...that pick would become Brad Daugherty....then they traded Moses and the 23rd pick to the Bullets for Cliff Robinson and Jeff Ruland. Ruland would break his fucking foot and play a grand total of 18 games for Philly. Nice.

Yeah, well I'm a Magic fan, so I've had my share of heartache as well. I started really liking the team around the team Tracy McGrady was traded for about 40 cents on the dollar.

And to think Tim Duncan was close to signing with them back in 2000.

The best thing about McGrady is that his name rhymes with Shady, so if you made a rap tune you could say something like "I slept with your momma, I spit like Slim Shady, I'll hunt down Osama and I dunk like McGrady".

I....yeah.

Worked up about that 76'er trade is all, I'll be ok. I'll be ok.

By the way, for the record, I feel like Durant is the one who is the safe bet to be at least a decent pro hos whole career, while Durant is the one who, to me, could be a bust or could be amazing.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Yeah, well I'm a Magic fan, so I've had my share of heartache as well. I started really liking the team around the team Tracy McGrady was traded for about 40 cents on the dollar.

And to think Tim Duncan was close to signing with them back in 2000.

The Magic might be the unluckiest team in professional sports...certainly in the NBA. Early on, they were one of the most successful expansion franchises in the history of league, maybe of Sports. Finals in 95, and ECF in 96. And ever since then, it's been nothing but bad luck.

Shaq bolts for LA, Orlando loses one of the greatest centers ever for nothing.

Penny suffers a career-altering knee injury, and after microfracture surgery, he is never the same.

The Magic get one David Robinson phone call away from signing Tim Duncan.

The Magic sign then-superstar Grant Hill to a seven year deal. That was a HUGE signing at the time. And then Hill's ankle promptly turned to powder and Orlando's new superstar became an albatross contract.

McGrady was also signed, and he played very well for a few years, but management sucked too much to put a decent team around him, so the one good thing they had going, demanded a trade.

They trade him for Francis, who was a star at the time, and all of a sudden Francis got worse and was very underwhelming.

Then they got Dwight, one good thing.

And most recently, this Billy Donovan thing. They make the big coach signing and then he backs out. I mean, personally I think he did them a favor - he had Rick Pitino written all over him. But still. Unlucky as hell.

Thanks nam, I'm sure I knew the history of bad luck already. :wink:

You did miss the players kicking Brian Hill out of town, only for him to be hired back out of the blue 2 years ago to lead the team into mediocrity.

I'm pretty confident this team's on the right direction again. The East is completely wide open and they're prime to take over.

Has anyone heard about the potential trade where Garnett goes to the Suns and Amare goes to the Hawks?

That is ridiculous. :huh:

Kurt Thomas and the 24th pick going to the Bobcats for the 8th pick is almost a lock though.

It's because it's the worst GMs in the league making these trades.

If only Isiah and Billy King were involved, they'd swap their draft rights until 2012 for someone like Jermaine O'Neal or Paul Pierce.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Has anyone heard about the potential trade where Garnett goes to the Suns and Amare goes to the Hawks?

That is ridiculous. :huh:

Kurt Thomas and the 24th pick going to the Bobcats for the 8th pick is almost a lock though.

The Garnett to Phoenix is sounding very possible now. The Suns will really be throwing the dice on that one. Amare can't be very happy about going to Atlanta. :ohmy:

Jermaine to the Lakers is sounding like a real possibility if KG goes to Phoenix.

Probably nothing will happen but it's fun to talk about. :wink:

I prefer the Boston-Minnesota-Phoenix trade myself, but it makes too much sense for it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom