NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
apparently the hot draft day rumor is al jefferson, gerald green, sebastian telfair, theo ratliff, the #5 pick to minnesota for garnett
Thats too one sided, even if the T'wolves take on the human gun collection.
At this point, Jefferson is not too far from being Garnett...I would not make that trade.

Hewson said:
At this point, Jefferson is not too far from being Garnett...I would not make that trade.

Jefferson is not too far from being Garnett?

Yes, he is very far away from being Garnett.

Hewson said:

:up:

He's probably one of the best young big guys in the East and he's definitely a better offensive player than Dwight Howard.

I like the multi team trade scenarios that end with Gilbert Arenas in LA. Never, ever going to happen, but would be cool.

That's the sort of thing I'd imagine the Lakers going for though. They're not exactly a 'rebuilding' or 'youth' franchise. I think they'd want nothing short of at least one Grade A level star in return, not a bunch of 'pieces'.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
beantown should trade the stab victim for the alleged rapist

jefferson, green, kobe, west... get rid of telfair and his guns, draft a center.

boston would be looking quite nice... but, alas, danny ainge
I think that would be great for the Celts, though not likely to happen.
Have to give the Lakers at least the #5 pick and another young player (Rondo, Green, or West probably) plus puncture wound for therapist. And I doubt the Lakers would even take that deal.

namkcuR said:

Jefferson is not too far from being Garnett?

Yes, he is very far away from being Garnett.
Last year:
Garnett: 22.4 PPG, 12.8 RPG, 1.7 BPG
Jefferson: 16.0 PPG 11.0 RPG 1.5 BPG

So statistically 7 points and 2 boards away, however the key stat:
KG is 31, AJ is 22.
This season Jefferson's stats will be closer to Garnett's as he improved his offensive game by a lot 2nd half of last season.

I would expect 18-19PPG and 11-12 RPG, not much less than Garnett's numbers, but he's 9 years younger and on the upswing. Garnett has 11 NBA seasons under his legs and is not going to get any better, in fact I doubt he'll sustain his current level of play for more than 3 or 4 more seasons whereas as you should get 10-12 solid seasons from Jefferson.

I'm not sure if I like the Amare/KG trade either, but with KG on Phoenix, I don't think toughness will be an issue, but they'd only have a 2-3 year window before Nash AND KG start breaking down.

kobe-bryant-bulls.jpg

Hewson said:

Last year:
Garnett: 22.4 PPG, 12.8 RPG, 1.7 BPG
Jefferson: 16.0 PPG 11.0 RPG 1.5 BPG

So statistically 7 points and 2 boards away, however the key stat:
KG is 31, AJ is 22.
This season Jefferson's stats will be closer to Garnett's as he improved his offensive game by a lot 2nd half of last season.

I would expect 18-19PPG and 11-12 RPG, not much less than Garnett's numbers, but he's 9 years younger and on the upswing. Garnett has 11 NBA seasons under his legs and is not going to get any better, in fact I doubt he'll sustain his current level of play for more than 3 or 4 more seasons whereas as you should get 10-12 solid seasons from Jefferson.

Based on how much he's improved lately, I wouldn't let go of Jefferson, either.

so yet again, tell me why we lose to greece? ahh yes...

For the second straight year, USC basketball coach Tim Floyd has received a verbal commitment from an eighth-grader.

Ryan Boatwright, a speedy 5-foot-10, 145-pound rising freshman point guard from Illinois who has yet to make a decision on where he's headed for high school (he's choosing between East Aurora High and West Aurora High), accepted Floyd's scholarship offer while at USC's camp this past weekend.
"They were the first one to show interest in Ryan," said Boatwright's father, Mike. "A lot of people have said Ryan isn't that good, but he went to USC's camp and played well."

Boatwright played well enough that Floyd put forth a scholarship offer on the final day of camp. DePaul, Indiana and a few smaller schools had expressed interest, but USC was the first to step up with an offer.

"It shocked me," Mike Boatwright said of the offer. "But Ryan loved it there and he decided on his own."

"The campus is gorgeous," he added. "It's a private school and both myself and his mom were impressed with the academic standards at USC. That's really what got us."

A year ago, Floyd and the Trojans staff stayed local and got a verbal pledge from then-14-year-old Dwayne Polee Jr., a 6-foot-6 forward who had yet to play his first high school game at Westchester High (Calif.).

Mike Boatwright said the biggest concern surrounding his 14-year-old son's decision is the potential local reaction.

"I'm tremendously concerned," he admitted. "It could get ugly as far as kids getting jealous. I also don't want it to get to his head. I want him to stay humble."

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6938958?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10136

Latest rumor, 3 way trade with Celts, Lakers and Bullies...Pierce to Lakers, Kobe to Chi, Gordon, Thomas, PJ Brown to Boston.

I say nyet.

:lol:

This is one of the moments where I wish Zhizhi Wang was still in the league.

Expanded Timberwolves trade rumor: Kevin Garnett to the Phoenix Suns as part of a three-way deal with the Boston Celtics that would bring the Wolves 6-9 Kurt Thomas from Phoenix and 6-10 Theo Ratliff from Boston, both of whom have contracts that expire after next season. The Suns would send forward Shawn Marion to the Celtics, who would send guard Sebastian Telfair to the Wolves.

The Wolves would get the Celtics' No. 5 overall pick and the Suns' No. 24 overall pick in next week's NBA draft, and keep their No. 7 overall pick. In addition, the second-round conditional pick they owe Boston in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak deal would be eliminated.

Garnett says 'No' to Boston

The proposed trade that would have sent Kevin Garnett to Boston, agreed to in principle by ex-teammates Kevin McHale and Danny Ainge, was taken off the table Thursday after Garnett got word to the Celtics that he doesn't want to play for them.

Garnett, according to sources close to the situation, is hoping for a trade to the Phoenix Suns if he has to leave the only team he has ever played for.

"The Boston trade isn't happening," Garnett's agent, Andy Miller, told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan. "If a trade were to happen, that's not a destination that we're interested in pursuing."

It appears that Wolves management -- McHale and owner Glen Taylor -- is prepared for the first time to make a deal that would end the Garnett Era in Minneapolis after 12 seasons. Taylor, according to Wolves sources, has informed Garnett directly of that change in philosophy.

But Garnett will have a stronger-than-usual say in the destination if he is indeed moved before next season because of the ability to opt of his contract in the summer of 2008 and become a free agent just over a year from now if he forfeits his $23 million salary in 2008-09.

Without at least a strong indication that Garnett would be willing to sign an extension with the Celtics, Ainge would be parting with virtually every enticing trade chip Boston has for what amounts to a one-year rental.

Which pieces? The latest incarnation of the deal, according to sources, would have required the Celtics to send blossoming forward Al Jefferson, its No. 5 overall pick in next Thursday's draft and Theo Ratliff's cap-friendly contract in addition to Wolves alumnus Wally Szczerbiak and troubled guard Sebastian Telfair in exchange for Garnett and Wolves guard Troy Hudson.

"This would be a major trade that would affect a franchise and those in the organization, so you better be sure [he wants to be there long term]," said Miller, who informed the Wolves and Celtics late Wednesday that his client had no interest in playing for Boston.

Garnett rejected the move even though it would put him in the easier-to-conquer Eastern Conference and even though he is said to be friendly with Celtics star Paul Pierce.

Garnett has said for years that he doesn't want to leave his beloved "Sota" and has consistently refused to push for a trade.

Yet he is bracing for a trade now, after hearing of Taylor's new stance, which is said to have only increased his growing frustration with Taylor and McHale.

And Garnett, sources say, wants to move to a warm-weather city and a team that can claim legitimate championship potential.

All of which should help explain why the Suns are No. 1 on his list.

Another big factor: Garnett and Suns guard Steve Nash, sources say, have become good friends over the past few years, starting in 2005 when Garnett was one of the first players in the league to call Nash and congratulate him on his first MVP trophy.

The Wolves and Suns have also discussed a Garnett trade. The Wolves, though, naturally want to trade Garnett out of their conference if they can.

If it has to deal with the Suns -- given the strong possibility Garnett won't sanction a move elsewhere -- Minnesota is expected to demand that Phoenix part with Amare Stoudemire in the exchange, as well as a first-round pick from Atlanta in the 2008 draft that is fully unprotected.

It's considered unlikely that a Suns package built around Shawn Marion and that draft pick would be enough to pry Garnett away. Complicating matters further, Marion also has the right to become a free agent after the 2007-08 season and has also let it be known that he doesn't want to play in Minnesota or Boston, sources say. That stance quickly killed the possibility of a three-way deal involving Minnesota, Phoenix and Boston.

The Suns, meanwhile, are understandably hesitant to part with Stoudemire and have tried unsuccessfully to strike a deal without giving him up. Even though Garnett would certainly help Phoenix in the short term by supplying an instant boost of veteran savvy, while also likely improving team chemistry and addressing their biggest weakness -- matching up with San Antonio's Tim Duncan -- Stoudemire is only 24 and would appear to have limitless potential after making the most high-flying comeback from microfracture knee surgery that the league has ever seen.

Although Miller declined to specify a team when asked where Garnett would prefer to be dealt -- "Too early," he said -- it's believed that Phoenix will increase its efforts between now and Thursday's draft to assembling a Stoudemire-less package to satisfy Minnesota's requirements, perhaps by pulling in another team or two.

Or perhaps they'll reverse course and surrender Stoudemire, which would finally lead to a real Garnett deal after ceaseless KG trade speculation over the past several years.

Garnett has "a good handle on the possibility of being traded," Miller said. "Kevin is an extremely loyal person, and loyalty is not a common factor among pro athletes, but in this situation he understands he has to put his long-term considerations ahead of the Minnesota Timberwolves' long-term considerations."

That 3-way trade would still be godly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom