NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread Part II - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:51 PM
1. Russell
2. Chamberlain
3. Abdul-Jabbar
4. Olajuwon
5. O'Neil
6. Robinson
7. Malone
8. Mikan
9. Ewing
10. Walton

Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #62
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Walton was in his prime in the late 70s - the competition he faced wasn't close to what Ewing faced. Jordan/Pippen Bulls, Hakeem's Rockets, Robinson/Duncan Spurs(in 99), Reggie's Pacers, Alonzo's Heat, etc.
you could argue the same thing against Russell, Chamberlain, Kareem...

It's all relative I guess.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:11 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Thank God the Celtics lost tonight. Now they are back on track for Oden.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Eh, the Grizz lost too...Celts will likely finish in the Durant slot, and we'll have to see what the ping pong balls bring.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #65
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Patrick Ewing was great, no question, but when your team is better with you either gone or injured, that's never good. He was a perennial all-star and will be a hall of famer, but without any rings or MVPs to show for it.
woah woah woah woah woah... i have to take issue here.

i imagine your "the knicks were better with you gone or injured" is based partialy on bill simmons' assinine "ewing theory" that he talks about so many times. if it's not, and you've never heard of that, then tell me and i'll retract...

but it's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. the knicks may have been better in the '99 playoffs, when ewing tried to come back from injury and wasn't healthy. i.e. he wasn't patrick ewing. but let's remember... the knicks were the 8 seed that year. and one would have to think that they would have had a bit easier time if ewing had been healthy and playing against the spurs that year, with their two bigs.

the best player patrick ewing played with during the prime of his career was either charles oakley or john starks... not exactly top 50 all time material... yet year after year the knicks battled right to the end with the bulls, who featured the greatest player of all time along with another top 50 all time player.

better without ewing? please... give me a break. obviously, as we can all see, the knicks as a franchise have been nothing but great since trading ewing. [/sarcasm]
Old 03-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #66
Blue Crack Distributor

why i put 'em where they are...

1. russell... the greatest winner in the history of team sports. the point of the game is to win, yes? also the greatest defensive player in basketball history... blocking shots to start breaks, rather than blocking shots into the crowd to make the crowd ooo and ahhh like today's shot blockers.

2. chamberlain... most dominant player ever... if winning didn't matter, would be #1 by a mile. but no matter how ridiculous his stats were, and they were, russell always had his number, so russell has to go first.

3. abdul-jabbar... changed the game in college, was a dominating force over two generations, and had a great cameo in airplane! to boot.

4. olajuwon... so smooth, so skilled. had probably the best instinctive post moves of any center i've ever seen. the dream shake? i still try to pull that off in pick up games throughout the tri-state area.

5. o'neal... sheer brute force combined with amazing athleticism. has more rings, and probably better stats (don't feel like lookin' 'em up) than hakeem... but let's remember, hakeem bitch slapped him back in the day.

6. malone... he was amare stoudamire/dwight howard before either of those two were born.

7. ewing... the greatest jumpshooting center of all time (unless you count dirk as a center, which i don't). one of the greatest college players of all time. changed the way the nba drats players... may have had 5-6 rings if not for that pesky jordan guy. would be further up the list if he had just one.

8. robinson... a poor man's moses malone. would consistantly get bitch slapped by hakeem and was a playoff failure up until he got hurt for most of the season, making the spurs miss the playoffs, fuck the celtics and the butt and draft tim duncan.

9. walton... great skill for a big. would be futher up the list if his career wasn't hampred by injuries.

10. mikan... you can't have a top 10 list without george mikan. all 9 of the guys above him probably would kick mikan's ass, and there's some guys off the list that probably would have, too... but he's george mikan. he was the first true big guy, and his moves spawned the core fundamental drill that is taught to beginers... unless your name is ty thomas.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Eh, the Grizz lost too...Celts will likely finish in the Durant slot, and we'll have to see what the ping pong balls bring.
Considering their past history with the lottery, that might be a good thing.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #68
Blue Crack Distributor

you guys are still bitter over that whole duncan thing, ain'tcha?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #69
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

woah woah woah woah woah... i have to take issue here.

i imagine your "the knicks were better with you gone or injured" is based partialy on bill simmons' assinine "ewing theory" that he talks about so many times. if it's not, and you've never heard of that, then tell me and i'll retract...

but it's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. the knicks may have been better in the '99 playoffs, when ewing tried to come back from injury and wasn't healthy. i.e. he wasn't patrick ewing. but let's remember... the knicks were the 8 seed that year. and one would have to think that they would have had a bit easier time if ewing had been healthy and playing against the spurs that year, with their two bigs.

the best player patrick ewing played with during the prime of his career was either charles oakley or john starks... not exactly top 50 all time material... yet year after year the knicks battled right to the end with the bulls, who featured the greatest player of all time along with another top 50 all time player.

better without ewing? please... give me a break. obviously, as we can all see, the knicks as a franchise have been nothing but great since trading ewing. [/sarcasm]
okay fair enough. I do kind of believe in the "Ewing Theory", but that's a bit beside the point. He's one of my favorite centers, no question, but I'm evaluating on player/team accomplishments, and in that regard he does not stack up to the rest. (no MVPs or rings, but multiple all-star appearances)

What happened when he finally reached the Finals in '94? Hakeem pretty much owned him with an inferior Rocket team.

You know about the downfall of the Knicks way more than I do, but the team they had without Ewing still had potential to be great in the East until horrible trades and signings killed their team.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:51 PM
1 Bill Cartwright
2. Bill Wennington
3. Will Perdue
4. Luc Longley
5. Stacey King
6. Scott Williams
Old 03-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
What happened when he finally reached the Finals in '94? Hakeem pretty much owned him with an inferior Rocket team.
first... yes, hakeem outplayed him. he outscored him 26ppg to 19ppg on the season. owned him? no... ewing set the record for blocked shots in an nba finals series in that series. he played well... hakeem just played better, and for good reason... hakeem was better.

inferior team?

sam cassell, robert horry, kenny smith, vernon maxwell, otis thorpe, mario elie vs. john starks, charles oakley, derek harper, anthony mason, hubert davis and the man which whom's name shall never be spoken again (we shall refer to him as #54)

it's a push... though i'd argue that houston had the better team, people just didn't realize how good cassell and horry were at the time.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?
1 Bill Cartwright
2. Bill Wennington
3. Will Perdue
4. Luc Longley
5. Stacey King
6. Scott Williams
i'm partial to bill wennington myself, only because he went to high school where i coach now and we're trying to get a donation out of him
Old 03-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #73
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

first... yes, hakeem outplayed him. he outscored him 26ppg to 19ppg on the season. owned him? no... ewing set the record for blocked shots in an nba finals series in that series. he played well... hakeem just played better, and for good reason... hakeem was better.

inferior team?

sam cassell, robert horry, kenny smith, vernon maxwell, otis thorpe, mario elie vs. john starks, charles oakley, derek harper, anthony mason, hubert davis and the man which whom's name shall never be spoken again (we shall refer to him as #54)

it's a push... though i'd argue that houston had the better team, people just didn't realize how good cassell and horry were at the time.
I liked Houston's team and Sam Cassell's one of my favorite players (he looks like ET and went to FSU) but I think New York had the better team.

owned was an overstatement, I meant outplayed, I like using that word too much.

You know are they say, "When in Rome..."
Old 03-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:51 PM
Quote:

i'm partial to bill wennington myself, only because he went to high school where i coach now and we're trying to get a donation out of him
ME TOO! but for me. It was his automatic 10-15 foot baseline jumper.

Hakeem is and always will be my favorite Center ever. He was unbelievable.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

I liked Houston's team and Sam Cassell's one of my favorite players (he looks like ET and went to FSU) but I think New York had the better team.
well what were ya, three when that series took place?

it's arguable who had the better team... new york played very well together, but individualy they didn't have great talent. john starks is the epitome of that statement.