NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Acting? I dunno. At the rate Nash was moving down the floor, it wouldn't take much to knock him over like Horry did. Kind of like a fastball and a perfectly timed swing. Boom.

That said, Horry did have the opportunity to grab or swipe instead of body check. That is where he was wrong.

To me it's just a classic example of San Antonio basketball. The message was yeah, you won tonight, but we're not going anywhere. Um, there are better ways about getting this message across.

U2@NYC said:
Nash is overrated. 99% of the time he basically has no idea of what he is going to do with the ball.

I disagree with this statement because
1. He is not overrated. He's exciting and has freedom, but he's not overrated. Night in and night out he gets the numbers and results. Vince Carter would be an example of overrated.

2. 99% of the time? Doubtful. Sometimes? Yes, but that's what makes him so good is his ability to improvise and make plays. He has a huge amount of freedom in the offense like I said, and that is why he sometimes will even just take the ball down the baseline, and back out the other side. He's looking for the opening. It's beautiful when he finds it.

I think the thing you're seeing with him against the Spurs that bugs you is that he wasn't making those flashy plays until the 4th quarter of last night's game that is. Give credit to the Spurs team defense for that. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the other guy. But Nash certainly is not overrated.

I thought the Suns had no chance vs. the Spurs last night. They proved me wrong and overcame. Maybe this is their year. :shrug:

Part of Steve Nash's game is to look stupid or dopey.
It works.

There is a part of him sometimes that he isn't as sharp or crisp as Stockton.

A nice haircut would put him on the right road to mental sharpness.

Maybe a free Book of Mormon to help align his inner chi would help as well.

dbs:wink:

diamond said:
Part of Steve Nash's game is to look stupid or dopey.
It works.

There is a part of him sometimes that he isn't as sharp or crisp as Stockton.

A nice haircut would put him on the right road to mental sharpness.

Maybe a free Book of Mormon to help align his inner chi would help as well.

dbs:wink:

and perhaps a karl malone in his prime and he'd average 15+ assists a game instead of his lackluster 10/11

U2@NYC said:

(Note the lack of explanation)
If you really need any additional proof...
start with last night's game and compare the 2 point guards, your beloved Parker, and Nash.
Parker had 23 points, 7 assists (the key stat for a PG)
Nash had 24 points, 15 assists.

He shot 8 for 12, while the God like Manflop Ginobli was 3 for 14.

So of the guards on the floor last night, who looked overrated??

The man won the previous 2 league MVP awards. Headache already gave you the difference in Phoenix' winning percentage with and without Nash in the lineup.

You say his assist total is because his teammates get to an open spot...someone still has to deliver the ball, you don't average double digit assists by pure luck.
The assessment that its all due to the Phoenix system was also shot down already by Headache since Nash was an all star in Dallas in a different system.

Its an absurd argument, rings very much like the arguments we hear from some folks in the NFL threads that Tom Brady is an average QB and has won 3 Super Bowls and 2 SB MVP's only because of the system he plays in.
Next thing you're gonna tell us is that you invented the Argentinian retractable roof.

If you wanna say you dislike Nash cause he's making your Spurs look silly, fine, but don't post nonsense that the man is overrated and only a product of system, please at least acknowledge facts.

Last edited:
we offer salutations to our loquacious wordsmith.

the funny thing is Nash did make the Spurs look silly, as silly as Nash looks.

Clever fellow.

Gotta love him.

dbs
:)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
this will be an absolute travesty if horry's cheap shot ends up benefiting the suns.

the rule is the rule... leave the bench, automatic ejection. we've seen it before... the knicks had a 3-2 series lead heading back to new york before that punk bitch pj brown power bombed charlie "i hate jews" ward into the first row... patrick ewing takes 2 steps onto the court, he (and half the team) gets suspended for game 6, a few more players are suspended for game 7, the knicks lose.

so here cheap shot bob hip checks nash into the scorer's table, amare and boris diaw leave the bench area by about 5 feet, never get involved in the right, and i'll be stunned if they're not suspended for game 5.

i understand that the rule is the rule, and everyone knows the rule... the same rule exists in high school for pete's sake... but one would think that using the same guidelines to enforce a silly rule in the regular season and in the post-season is a bit shortsided. if amare misses one game out of 82 against, oh, the knicks, who gives a shit. but if he misses one game in a best of 7 series? it could turn the entire series around.

i have to blame the suns assistant coaches a bit... i've been an assistant coach, all be it on the high school level, where a skirmish has broken out, and the job of (at least) one of the assistant coaches is to make sure NO one leaves the bench area, even in a minor little pushing match. i know it's a bit harder to hold back a 6'11" 250 pound amare stoudamire, but someone on the suns staff needed to address the bench... they didn't all need to run over to see if nash was okay (but considering that nash is the entire suns team, i can see why they did).

the worst of it all is that we should be talking about how phoenix finally rose to the occasion in a game they looked like they would lose to pull one out on the road... about those two absolutely gorgeous behind the back passes from nash to stoudamire... but instead we're talking about this bullshit.

Duncan and another player left the bench during a James Jones/Fransisco "Nutgrabber" Elson tussle in the first half too. Maybe the NBA should review that part of the game also.

the only hope amare and diaw have is if they rule that what happened was simply a flagrant foul and that there was no "fight" because no punches were thrown, thus the leave the bench rule isn't in effect.

other than that, unless they want to set a new precedent, i don't think they have a choice. they've already done it before... when they suspended patrick ewing from the knicks-heat series for leaving the bench despite the fact that he never came close to the pj brown/charlie ward skirmish. stoudamire and diaw came much closer to the incident than ewing did, and ewing was much more important to the knicks than either stoudamire or diaw. they did it anyway.

and if duncan did in fact leave the bench area durring the earlier tussle, i'm sure someone in the suns camp has already let the NBA know about that.

Last edited:
I think if they are going to suspend Stoudemire and Diaw, they should atleast suspend Duncan for his similar movement earlier in the game. That's the only fair thing to do in that situation. Both teams would be penalized about the same.

I love how this completely downplayed Baron Davis's and Jason Richardson's shenanigans at the end of Game 4.

Hewson said:
If you really need any additional proof...
start with last night's game and compare the 2 point guards, your beloved Parker, and Nash.
Parker had 23 points, 7 assists (the key stat for a PG)
Nash had 24 points, 15 assists.

He shot 8 for 12, while the God like Manflop Ginobli was 3 for 14.

So of the guards on the floor last night, who looked overrated??

Next thing you're gonna tell us is that you invented the Argentinian retractable roof.

If you wanna say you dislike Nash cause he's making your Spurs look silly, fine, but don't post nonsense that the man is overrated and only a product of system, please at least acknowledge facts.

I do acknowledge facts. No need to be aggressive as:

1. I never said I loved Tony Parker.

2. No need to call Ginobili a "Manflop", being the most successful South American player ever to play in the NBA and an Olympic gold medal winner.

3. I did not know we had invented a retractable roof, but that is good to know.

P.S. The second part of your post is much better in explaining your point.

U2@NYC said:

2. No need to call Ginobili a "Manflop", being the most successful South American player ever to play in the NBA and an Olympic gold medal winner.

Manu Ginobili is the valedictorian of the Vlade Divac School of Flopping.

At this point all I can say with my philanthropic spirit that is enconced within my soul, if I had the time, means and money I would fly all of your sorry asses out for a very special diamondbruno9 basket ball clinic.

I think all I would need is one afternoon with you bums posting here.

I would send you all on your way being fully edified.:angry:

dbs

Jazz gonna close it out tonight?

What about Detroit?

Both could be to the NBA Final four by nights end.

I feel like the quality of the NBA thread consistently plummets during the Playoffs each year.

randhail said:
but the entertainment value goes up when the "diehards" show up :wink:

live_free_or_die_hard.jpg

U2@NYC said:

Aggressive??

Sarcastic...yes.
Humorous...depends on your sense of humor, I'm sure a few here got a chuckle, especially over the retractable roof comment.
Informative...certainly.
Intelligent...absolutely. :wink:

But far from aggressive.
If you were in the sports forum for more than the couple of weeks that the Spurs play meaningful games, you'd get it.

The Spurs' Robert Horry was suspended for two games Tuesday for his flagrant foul on Steve Nash in Game 4 of the Western semifinals, while Suns teammates Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw were each suspended for Game 5 after leaving the bench.

And Whiny Timmy D gets away scot free.

diamond said:
i see my previous post went ignored.

i rescend my philantropy.

dbs
How can you rescind philanthropy when there was none?:

diamond said:
At this point all I can say with my philanthropic spirit that is enconced within my soul, if I had the time, means and money I would fly all of your sorry asses out for a very special diamondbruno9 basket ball clinic.

I think all I would need is one afternoon with you bums posting here.

I would send you all on your way being fully edified.:angry:

dbs

You said if you had the time, means and money, so there was no actual offer on the table.

If you wanna fly a few of us out to the desert for some hoops, I'm in.
Me and Headache vs you and U2inNYC in a 2 on 2.
You have the overwhelming size advantage, so I choose the former hoopster as my teammate.
When does my plane ticket show up? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom