NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think less confident teams go into a panic mode and take cheap shots at the end.

that worked for a long time in the NBA, until instant replays became common place.

it caused stockton to lose some of his mystic, and has exposed ALOT of thugs in the last few days.

they will even call a shot back at the buzzer w instant replay, where the old days, if the ref called it, it stuck.

amazing evolution, this game of BB.

dbs

Headache in a Suitcase said:
wow... i've always been a huge big shot bob fan but that was one of the most blatant cheap shots i've seen in a long time.

he's gonna be suspended for game five... but i think amare might be also. i spied with my little eye amare leaving the bench area.

See, this is why basketball teams need enforcers, like they have in hockey -- some big scrub who doesn't play but will rush the court if there's a fight.

I love Tim Duncan, I think he is a top 3 PF ever, and arguably the best and most consistant player in the NBA. I want to route for him, but I don't like the rest of the Spurs. I'm not a big Parker fan and I'm certainly not a big Ginobili fan.

Robinson/Duncan/Elliot/Elie/Johnson Spurs > Duncan/Bowen/Ginobili/Parker Spurs.

speedracer said:

See, this is why basketball teams need enforcers, like they have in hockey -- some big scrub who doesn't play but will rush the court if there's a fight.
We had that 20 years ago.
Greg Kite.
Eric Fehrnstrom.
Mitch Kupchack
Chuck Nevitt

this will be an absolute travesty if horry's cheap shot ends up benefiting the suns.

the rule is the rule... leave the bench, automatic ejection. we've seen it before... the knicks had a 3-2 series lead heading back to new york before that punk bitch pj brown power bombed charlie "i hate jews" ward into the first row... patrick ewing takes 2 steps onto the court, he (and half the team) gets suspended for game 6, a few more players are suspended for game 7, the knicks lose.

so here cheap shot bob hip checks nash into the scorer's table, amare and boris diaw leave the bench area by about 5 feet, never get involved in the right, and i'll be stunned if they're not suspended for game 5.

i understand that the rule is the rule, and everyone knows the rule... the same rule exists in high school for pete's sake... but one would think that using the same guidelines to enforce a silly rule in the regular season and in the post-season is a bit shortsided. if amare misses one game out of 82 against, oh, the knicks, who gives a shit. but if he misses one game in a best of 7 series? it could turn the entire series around.

i have to blame the suns assistant coaches a bit... i've been an assistant coach, all be it on the high school level, where a skirmish has broken out, and the job of (at least) one of the assistant coaches is to make sure NO one leaves the bench area, even in a minor little pushing match. i know it's a bit harder to hold back a 6'11" 250 pound amare stoudamire, but someone on the suns staff needed to address the bench... they didn't all need to run over to see if nash was okay (but considering that nash is the entire suns team, i can see why they did).

the worst of it all is that we should be talking about how phoenix finally rose to the occasion in a game they looked like they would lose to pull one out on the road... about those two absolutely gorgeous behind the back passes from nash to stoudamire... but instead we're talking about this bullshit.

They're definitely going after Nash on purpose in this series. What a shame that they have to resort to such tactics, although I guess in a twisted way, it's a compliment. The Spurs are pretty much saying they can't stop him, so we might as well maul him.

Hewson said:
We had that 20 years ago.
Greg Kite.

I'll never forget the playoff game against L.A. when he had something like 11 block shots off the bench. He didn't score any points, but he was the hero of that game. He even blocked Magic one time.

Memories...

phanan said:
They're definitely going after Nash on purpose in this series. What a shame that they have to resort to such tactics, although I guess in a twisted way, it's a compliment. The Spurs are pretty much saying they can't stop him, so we might as well maul him.

not for nothing, but that's not new... it's exactly what the pistons did to jordan some 20 odd years ago. only difference is that the pistons relished in their bad boy image, while the spurs try to deny it.

frankly, i'd be a lot less pissed about the entire robert horry thing if not for that stupid leave the bench rule that, frankly, just handed the spurs game 5 on a silver platter.

Nash is overrated. 99% of the time he basically has no idea of what he is going to do with the ball.

And if they do not suspend Stoudamire and Diaw for Game 5, then we will know who Mr. Stern wants to be the new champion. That offense / defense excuse is bullshit.

And I believe the Spurs lost the game big time last night. They played well for 45 minutes and sucked in the last 3.

not for nothing, but that's not new... it's exactly what the pistons did to jordan some 20 odd years ago. only difference is that the pistons relished in their bad boy image, while the spurs try to deny it.

Another difference is that MJ was the best one to ever play the game. Nash is not. So I think the Spurs have the wrong strategy.

bullshit steve nash is overrated... if anything he's underrated. if you can't see how great a point guard steve nash is then you have very little understanding of the finer nuances of the game.

it's no fluke that over the past three seasons phoenix has won 75% of their games with nash in the lineup and have lost 74% of their games with nash out of it. that's not an accident. the fact that stoudamire misses an entire season and they still win, that different parts and pieces can be traded off and brought in and they still win... that's not an accident. 2003-2004... stoudamire, marion, joe johnson, etc... alll there. stephon marbury running the point. suns go 29-53. the very next season, with more or less the exact same team, replacing marbury with nash, 62-20, best record in the nba, trip to the conference finals.

does a lot of it have to do with mike d'antoni's system? sure... but the system only works if you've got the right guy running it. do we fault john stockton for running the utah system that is still working to perfection years after stockton's retirement? of course not.

overrated? please... gimmie a break. the man's one of the greatest point guards of all time. saying steve nash is overrated is as stupid as saying tim duncan is overrated.

U2@NYC said:
Nash is overrated. 99% of the time he basically has no idea of what he is going to do with the ball.

Are you high? or maybe you just don't know anything about smart basketball. Nash is an amazing point gaurd and always makes great decisions with the ball that result in him averaging more than 10 assists a game.

does a lot of it have to do with mike d'antoni's system? sure... but the system only works if you've got the right guy running it. do we fault john stockton for running the utah system that is still working to perfection years after stockton's retirement? of course not.
[/B]

I do not agree with this. Nash often gets the benefit of a very fast paced offense that moves around Nash a lot, thus simplifying his task. I honestly think he basically does not know what he is going to do with the ball when he starts running and that his teammates are the ones that help him out by finding an open spot.

I would also like to see Nash playing under a different system as my view is that he will not do well.

U2Man said:
i dont know what "smart basketball" is. would anyone care to enlighten me?

moving the ball to the open man when he's open... seeing the play two (or more) passes ahead... making the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the shot... knowing the difference between bad shot/good shot/best shot... knowing that 90% of penetrating passes (vs. non penetrating) need to be bounce passes and not flat passes... knowing what to do after you beat the first line of defense, i.e. knowing wether to pull up for a 10-15 foot jumper, continue the drive or dish it off

i could go on, but i won't.

moving the ball to the open man when he's open... seeing the play two (or more) passes ahead... making the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the shot... knowing the difference between bad shot/good shot/best shot... knowing that 90% of penetrating passes (vs. non penetrating) need to be bounce passes and not flat passes... knowing what to do after you beat the first line of defense, i.e. knowing wether to pull up for a 10-15 foot jumper, continue the drive or dish it off

i could go on, but i won't.

Acting as punch ball for Robert Horry... :D

U2@NYC said:
I honestly think he basically does not know what he is going to do with the ball when he starts running and that his teammates are the ones that help him out by finding an open spot.

I would also like to see Nash playing under a different system as my view is that he will not do well.

i'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible but you simply do not understand what it takes to be a great point guard in basketball if this is how you feel, and it's not worth carrying on this conversation any further because it will only serve to give me an aneurysm

great point guards see 2/3 passes away, the same way a great chess player sees 2/3 moves ahead. this is what makes nash great. and this vision of what will happen... the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the basket... is done in a split second's time.

and you also seem to be completely ignoring nash's years in dallas, as if he all of a sudden became good when he arrived in phoenix.

i'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible but you simply do not understand what it takes to be a great point guard in basketball if this is how you feel, and it's not worth carrying on this conversation any further because it will only serve to give me an aneurysm

great point guards see 2/3 passes away, the same way a great chess player sees 2/3 moves ahead. this is what makes nash great. and this vision of what will happen... the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the basket... is done in a split second's time.

and you also seem to be completely ignoring nash's years in dallas, as if he all of a sudden became good when he arrived in phoenix.

Ok, I guess we see things differently. But we agree on John Stockton as a great point guard.

All Steve Nash needs is a good hair cut and tutelage by Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan.

It's that simple.

dbs

i can see the new york post headlines now... cheap shot bob

:bonodrum:

cheapshotbob.jpg

well... it's not the post, but it's close

:bonodrum:

cheapshotbob.jpg

well... it's not the post, but it's close

You know not to condone Horry's poor sportmansmanship, Steve did do a little acting, but that's ok in a situation like this, it was needed-to make a point.

I've seen Steve Nash take take harder fouls with less grimacing.

That said this cheap shot by Horry will affect his legacy.

dbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom