NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I'm aware I'm a bit early here, but the preseason does start tomorrow.

There are so many questions hanging in the air as we close in on the new season...

What will David Stern's ruling in 'Brown vs Cablevision' be?

Will Isiah Thomas make it past Christmas?

Will the league finally acknowledge the fact that the officiating has reached the level where it's embarassing the league and its fans? Or will those who dare to look at Dwyane Wade while has the ball still be called for a foul?

How will the Bulls/Ben Wallace experiment pan out?

Will the Pistons be the same without Big Ben?

How will this year's rookies(Bargnani, Thomas, Morrison, Aldridge, Roy, Foye, etc) fare?

Will the Mavs be a contender again or was their trip to the Finals a one-time deal?

Will MJ's second-stint at a front-office position(Charlotte) fare better than his first?

Will Kevin Garnett FINALLY be traded or will the Timberwolves continue to insist on screwing themselves further into the ground?

Will the Warriors improve with Don Nelson at the helm?

Were the Clippers a one-season wonder or are they here to stay?

Will Amare be the same as he was or will his injury have a permanent impact?

Will the Magic be able to pick up where they left off last season(a white hot winning streak)?

Will Atlanta win 10 games?

Will Bryan Colangelo be able to pull the Raptors up from the depths of oblivion?

Will Ron Artest make it to Thanksgiving without an 'incident'?

I could go on and on.

I hope this season is better than last.

And I really hope the refs get their heads out their asses.

because and only because i've been drinking since 5:30, i will attempt to answer these the best i can.

--dolan has no case, but alas, who cares

--yes

Will the league finally acknowledge the fact that the officiating has reached the level where it's embarassing the league and its fans? Or will those who dare to look at Dwyane Wade while has the ball still be called for a foul?
--this has been going on for decades... so the answer is no. the only thing that's changed is that this advantage was once held for players like michael jordan, and now it's given to players with a quarter of the talent of MJ like dwyane wade.

--they're no better than the third best team in their own division... maybe the 4th.

--they might be better

How will this year's rookies(Bargnani, Thomas, Morrison, Aldridge, Roy, Foye, etc) fare?
--tyrus thomas is worse than you

Will the Mavs be a contender again or was their trip to the Finals a one-time deal?
--of course they will be, but if amare's healthy, it doesn't matter

Will MJ's second-stint at a front-office position(Charlotte) fare better than his first?
--buttplug

Will Kevin Garnett FINALLY be traded or will the Timberwolves continue to insist on screwing themselves further into the ground?
--no chance

--only if they trade barron davis

--stay, but they still have no chance if amare's healthy

--no clue

Will the Magic be able to pick up where they left off last season(a white hot winning streak)?
--the magic will win a championship within the next 5 years

--of course

Will Bryan Colangelo be able to pull the Raptors up from the depths of oblivion?
--short answer no, long answer maybe

--yes

my question... will american players continue to find some excuse, i.e. the new ball, for why they can't shoot worth shit?

Will Allen Iverson hear trade rumors?

Yes

Should he be traded?

Let's just say if he is, I will personally run and finance firebillyking.com. :|

Will the Pacers be renamed the bullets?

By the way, I heard on the radio that Jackson's Self-defense theory won't work well because no one has ever seen him play defense. :uhoh:

-- I hope it's for Brown, but I have no idea.

-- The team will turn on him around the All-Star Break.

-- Never.

-- They'll make the playoffs, maybe even the 2nd round.

-- Nope, but they'll still win.

-- Either Foye or Morrison will be ROY, JJ will have a rocky start, but do well in Orlando.

-- Finals in '07.

-- Can't be worse than Washington.

-- Traded before the All-Star break.

-- By about 5-10 games.

-- Here to stay.

-- I hope he's still a beast, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Will the Magic be able to pick up where they left off last season (a white hot winning streak)?
-- Yes, they're making the playoffs this year.

-- They'll win 25-30, maybe.

-- In the East, anything is possible.

-- Depends on the severity.

I could go on and on.

I hope this season is better than last.

And I really hope the refs get their heads out their asses.
-- Dick Bavetta is a Highlander.

I'm aware I'm a bit early here, but the preseason does start tomorrow.

There are so many questions hanging in the air as we close in on the new season...

don't really care

won't make it to Thanksgiving

The only way to stop this is show Dwayne Wade what a real foul is. Find Tractor Traylor :wink:

I'm guessing the Bulls and the Magic will be the 2 best teams in the league within the next 2 or 3 years. They're both young teams with a decent veteran

ehh I can see them still being 5th or 6th in the east

You can never tell w/ rookies until about a week or 2 into the season

They'll win it all this year

As long as he doesn't play for Charlotte.

My guess is they'll keep him and have him crying by the all star break again

They suck, Don Nelson can't help. Maybe make it slightly less-embarassing

We'll see how Sam's age effects him

He'll bounce back. Unless it's some Grant Hill related injury

The Magic will do decent this year, maybe 2nd round of the playoffs. Next year will be when it really picks up for them (Grant Hill gone)

Did you mean to put that "1" there?

Nope

Jackon couldn't even make it to the preseason. I'm guessing, no

Like I said, the Bulls, Magic, and Mavs should do good. However, the Suns aren't getting any younger. If they don't get things together in the next 2 or 3 years I think they're gonna fall into the abyss of the 6th - 8th seed for all eternity like Memphis.

namkcuR said:

pass

YES

The big stars will always have the refs in their pocket. Especially the flashy perimeter players.

Helps the Bulls - they make Conference Finals

They will miss him because the team isn't that deep. Nazr Mohammed will be ok as a replacement but would have been much better off the bench. McDyess will get worn out early and get hurt.

How will this year's rookies(Bargnani, Thomas, Morrison, Aldridge, Roy, Foye, etc)
Foye, Morrison, Roy, Ager will be the top performers this season.

Another Finals bid in 07

It couldn't be worse, and Charlotte has some decent talent now.

I think this is the year Garnett implodes out of frustration. Not sure if that means trade or not.

No.

Here to stay. Brand and Kaman are a great combination up front. Shaun Livingston should bust out this year, eventually trading places will Cassell in the starting lineup.

Permanent impact, at least for this year.

Middle of the pack in the Eastern Conference, respectable.

Yes

Didn't like the Villenueva for TJ Ford deal, and thought they should have traded out of the #1 pick in the draft. They are a few years away at least.

Yes

i'll bite, 'cause i got nothing better to do...

* denotes playoff team
Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division
1. New Jersey*
2. Toronto Raptors*
3. Boston Celtics*
4. Philadelphia 76ers
5. New York Knicks

Central
1. Detroit Pistons*
2. Cleveland Cavaliers*
3. Chicago Bulls*
4. Indiana Pacers
5. Milwaukee Bucks

Southeast
1. Miami Heat*
2. Orlando Magic*
3. Charlotte Bobcats
4. Washington Wizards
5. Atlanta Hawks

Playoff Rankings
1. Miami Heat
2. New Jersey Nets
3. Detroit Pistons
4. Orlando Magic
5. Cleveland Cavs
6. Chicago Bulls
7. Toronto Raptors
8. Boston Celtics
first teams out... Indiana & Charlotte

for a while i was tempted to believe that the knicks would actually do better under isiah, just to spite me... but... ummmm.. no.

toronto and orlando make the jump... i love the international flavor on toronto, along with a new point guard in TJ Ford and an expected improvement from Bosh (guys who look like dog shit in international play always seem to make the "leap" the following NBA season... see shawn marion... so hey, there ya go)... and bargnani looks legit.

ben wallace is hardly the improvement over tyson chandler that everyone thinks he is... he's better, but then again, who isn't? i think detroit will be better than they were last year, but in the end, unless age catches up quick, there's no reason to believe miami won't dominate come playoff time once again.

Western Conference
Southwest
1. Dallas Mavericks*
2. Houston Rockets*
3. San Antonio Spurs*
4. Memphis Grizzlies
5. NO/OKC Hornets

Northwest
1. Denver Nuggets*
2. Seattle Supersonics
3. Minnesota Timberwolves
4. Utah Jazz
5. Portland Trailblazers

Pacific
1. Phoenix Suns*
2. Los Angeles Clippers*
3. Sacramento Kings*
4. Los Angeles Lakers*
5. Golden State Warriors

Playoff Rankings
1. Phoenix Suns
2. Dallas Mavericks
3. Houston Rockets
4. Denver Nuggets
5. LA Clippers
6. San Antonio Spurs
7. Sac-a-tomato Kings
8. LA Lakers
first teams out... Seattle, Minnesota, Memphis

if Amare is 75% for the season the Suns dominate... i see the spurs taking the biggest fall this year as duncan's health continues to be an issue... yao looked as if he was ready to dominate at the end of the season last year... if that carries over they will be very tough, if he falls back to old pussy yao, then the rockets will suck...

Playoffs
East
1. Heat over 8. Celtics
2. Nets over 7. Raptors
3. Pistons over 6. Bulls
5. Cavs over 4. Magic

1. Heat over 5. Cavs
3. Pistons over 2. Nets

1. Heat over 3. Pistons

West
1. Suns over 8. Fakers
2. Mavs over 7. Kings
6. Spurs over 3. Rockets
5. Clippers over 4. Nuggets

1. Suns over 6. Spurs
2. Mavs over 5. Clippers

1. Suns over 2. Mavs

Finals
Suns over Heat in 6

League MVP - Dirk Nowitzki
Rookie of the Year - Andrea Bargnani
Coach of the Year - Mike D'Antoni
Finals MVP - Steve Nash

The NBA might have given its players something to complain about this season -- something other than the new basketball.

In an attempt to get players to curtail post-whistle whining, NBA referee representatives have made the rounds early in training camp to emphasize the league's zero-tolerance policy.

Commissioner David Stern, long fed up with players' histrionics over questionable calls, is threatening to hit them with quick technical fouls -- and later fines -- for those who curse, throw their hands up, or make other gestures that show disgust.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2620756

while it's certainly about time, i'll believe it when i see it...

^ I was just about to post that. Yes, it's beyond ridiculous nowadays.

My season predictions:

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division
1. New Jersey Nets
2. Toronto Raptors
3. Boston Celtics
4. Philadelphia 76ers
5. New York Knicks

Central
1. Detroit Pistons
2. Chicago Bulls
3. Cleveland Cavaliers
4. Milwaukee Bucks
5. Indiana Pacers

Southeast
1. Miami Heat
2. Orlando Magic
3. Washington Wizards
4. Charlotte Bobcats
5. Atlanta Hawks

Playoff Rankings
1. Miami Heat
2. Detroit Pistons
3. New Jersey Nets
4. Chicago Bulls
5. Cleveland Cavs
6. Orlando Magic
7. Milwaukee Bucks
8. Toronto Raptors

Western Conference

Southwest
1. Dallas Mavericks
2. Houston Rockets
3. San Antonio Spurs
4. NO/OKC Hornets
5. Memphis Grizzlies

Northwest
1. Denver Nuggets
2. Utah Jazz
3. Minnesota Timberwolves
4. Seattle Supersonics
5. Portland Trailblazers

Pacific
1. Phoenix Suns
2. Los Angeles Clippers
3. Los Angeles Lakers
4. Golden State Warriors
5. Sacramento Kings

Playoff Rankings
1. Dallas Mavericks
2. Phoenix Suns
3. Denver Nuggets
4. Houston Rockets
5. Los Angeles Clippers
6. San Antonio Spurs
7. NO/OKC Hornets
8. Utah Jazz

Playoffs
East
1. Heat over 8. Raptors
2. Pistons over 7. Bucks
6. Magic over 3. Nets
4. Bulls over 5. Cavs

1. Heat over 4. Bulls
2. Pistons over 6. Magic

1. Heat over 2. Pistons

West
1. Mavs over 8. Jazz
2. Suns over 7. Hornets
3. Nuggets over 6. Spurs
5. Clippers over 4. Rockets

1. Mavs over 6. Nuggets
2. Suns over 5. Clippers

2. Suns over 1. Mavs

Finals
Suns over Heat in 6

League MVP - Dirk Nowitzki
Rookie of the Year - Adam Morrison or Randy Foye
Coach of the Year - Brian Hill (I really have no idea, so I'll pick who I know best)
Finals MVP - Steve Nash

Last edited:
Re: Re: NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread

My take...

Don't Care

--somehow

--As a Bulls fan, I saw it with Jordan as a child. I saw it with Kobe later in life. Last year, Wade. I see no change. BUT, I am interested in the new rule on complaining.

Good. Ben fits Skiles' type of plan. The only problem is Ben's offense might just be WORSE than Chandlers'. We need Tyrus Thomas to score in the post. And we need Deng to become a great player to compliment Heinrich and Gordon. The Bulls will be the 2nd best team in their division.

- I'm not a big Flip Saunders fan. They'll win lots of games, but again fall away from Defense and lose to Cleveland or something in the playoffs.

--Rookie of the year...Morrison. Roy will be good. Aldridge will be great in 2 years. Thomas is a poor man's Stro Swift. I like Foye.

--Contender. But Phoenix and San Antonio are probably better. And Houston?

--It will be great when he unretires again...

--Downward Spiral my friend

--only if they trade barron davis(whoever wrote this, I agree 100%)

--Playoffs, but with the other teams in the west, I can't see much more than that.

--the injury will take a toll this year, but I have no idea for the future. He could end up like Antonio McDyess.

--I love this team. I think playoffs this year. Then...I believe Grant Hill is a FA after this year. That's almost 15 million dollars shed there if they want to. I am one of the few Darko fans left. Him with D. Howard? Wow... I like Jameer Nelson.

--Yes. I want to see if Marvin Williams gets better.

--no. Poor Bosh.

--Define incident... He won't get kicked out of the league or anything. But I think he might get frustrated about something and do something.

my question... will american players continue to find some excuse, i.e. the new ball, for why they can't shoot worth shit?
Ahh, you make me yearn for the days of the Jeff Hornacek, Chuck Person, and Dale Ellis.(I could name more if you wish).

INDIANAPOLIS -- Now, Stephen Jackson is in trouble in two states.

The Indiana Pacers guard, already on probation for his role in the brawl with Detroit Pistons fans two years ago, was to appear in court Thursday morning to face a felony charge of criminal recklessness and misdemeanor counts of battery and disorderly conduct in a fight outside an Indianapolis strip club last week.

Jackson shot a gun in the air at least five times, originally telling authorities he fired in self defense, police said.

But charges were filed Wednesday by Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi, who said conviction on the felony count alone carries a prison term of six months to three years. He said Jackson could also face three months in jail in Detroit if authorities there determine he has violated his probation.

"Firing the shots in the air at that point is criminal recklessness," Brizzi said. "Those bullets, once they come up, have to come down, and they come down at least 90 miles per hour, and they do absolutely have the ability to take someone's life."

In charging information Wednesday, prosecutors said Jackson kicked a man who police said has a deformed arm. Jackson told police that the man, Quentin Willford, started the brawl. But another man, Raymel Mattox, was charged with misdemeanor counts of battery, disorderly conduct and marijuana possession, and prosecutors said it was Mattox who started the fight.

stephen jackson = genius

Playoff Predictions (under the new seeding system for '07)

EAST
1 Detroit over 8 Orlando
2 Cleveland over 7 Milwaukee
3 Miami over 6 Washington
5 Chicago over 4 New Jersey

Detroit over Chicago
Miami over Cleveland

Miami over Detroit

WEST
1 Dallas over 8 Sac-town
2 Phoenix over 7 Houston
6 Lakers over 3 San Antonio
5 Clippers over 4 Denver

Dallas over Clippers
Lakers over Phoenix

Dallas over Lakers

FINALS
Dallas over Miami in 6

League MVP - LeBron James
Rookie of the Year - Adam Morrison

You really think the Lakers will get to the conference finals?

Over the Spurs and Suns no less?

:huh:

Eh, I'm a big Lakers fan :reject:

But if they had finished off Phoenix last year in the first round, and they should have, I think they would have beaten the Clippers and gotten to the conference finals. You're right though, beating the Spurs and Suns back to back would be real tough.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
so marbury puts out a 15 dollar sneaker, claiming how it's just as good as any 100 dollar pair of sneaker... and he is now currently sidelined with?

sore feet.

Hey, they're probably manufactured by the same Vietnamese 10-year-olds as all the other shoes.

The legendary, iconic Arnold "Red" Auerbach has died.

He was one of the true giants of NBA lore, and was the architect of the greatest dyanasty in NBA history(the Celtics' streak in the late 50s and early 60s of eight consecutive NBA titles, and 11 in 13 years), to which every franchise has been trying to live up for the past four decades.

RIP Red Auerbach.

red_hdr.jpg

a true legend of the game... sad sad day

God bless you Red. My family had seats directly across the Garden from Red's during the 80's and I remember as a little girl always trying to spot the cigar. Thanks for all the fun times Red!

Kirk Hinrich has taken a minor paycut in order to agree to a 5-year extension with the Chicago Bulls just as the deadline for extensions arrives.

Tonight is opening night.

the heat looked awful, that's for sure... normaly you can't get overly concearned with opening night, no matter how embarassing it was, but with a bunch of vets on the team with old legs, a bunch of guys who tried for years to finally get that ring, you have to wonder if there will be a hangover for the first month or so.

you also have to worry about shaq... he looked like a guy who's hanging on to something that just isn't there anymore last night. despite how awful he looked, every time he touched the ball every bulls player took 2 steps in his direction, which was his ultimate value during the championship run last year. the heat had plenty of good looks because of this, they just couldn't throw the ball in the friggin ocean. so you'd think that would be a positive sign... just a really bad shooting night combined with a ring ceremony hangover... but if shaq can't get it going to where he's at least a 20 point guy, the triple teams will stop coming, more double teams will go wade's way, and the heat just aren't the same team.

but, alas, it's just one game.

the bulls didn't look good early... i was saying in the first quarter that the way the heat are playing the bulls should be up 20... come the second quarter they started getting out in transition more and, bada boom bada bing, they went up 20... and 30...

they are very deep... maybe the deepest team in the league... but i have two rather large questions about them... #1, who takes the shots in the 4th quarter in a big game, #2, where will any low post offense come from? wallace is an awful offensive player, thomas the same, and pj brown is more of a 10-15 foot jump shooter than a post player.

the heat/bulls game was so awful that i went to bed at the start of the 2nd half rather than stay up to try to watch the suns/lakers.

It's going to to a long season but it will be interesting to see how this Laker team does. There's some fire and chemistry with this team. They're young but it will be fun to watch the development of Andrew Bynum, Jordan Farmar, Maurice Evans and company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom