NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #226
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Michael Jordan's salary data:

1985 $550,000
1986 $630,000
1987 $737,500
1988 $845,000
1989 $2,000,000
1990 $2,250,000
1991 $2,500,000
1992 $3,250,000
1993 $4,000,000
1995 $3,850,000
1996 $3,850,000
1997 $30,140,000
1998 $33,140,000
2002 $1,000,000
2003 $1,030,000

He made more from endorsements than his NBA salary, though, not a bad paycheck for 97-98. Right now, there is one team worth watching/talking about in the NBA, and that's the Suns. They're just fun to watch. I guess the Mavs are worth talking about, too, to be fair. After that, in my opinion, it's just not that compelling of a league, and I used to be an NBA junkie. I perk up when the playoffs roll around, though. Shit, you know how they say there are certain players that you'll tell your grandkids about? For me, it's Jordan. His collegiate career and rise to fame in the NBA coincided with my prime sports addict years, so I kind of witnesses the whole thing. He was jaw droppingly fun to watch in his early years, and then when he started winning titles, I was just in awe of his competitiveness and will to win. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it, that mix of elite athletic ability and true will to win....maybe Tiger.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:58 PM
The thing was. Take a look at his basketball upbringing. He wasn't treated as a star when he started high school. He earned that. Then, he gets to No. Carolina. Again, when he went there, he wasn't the big man on campus. James Worthy was there. Then he gets to the NBA. He has learned all these things already in his youth. He still has to learn how to win Championships. And of course, he does.

I just think all these punk kids get so spoiled b/c of how good they are at basketball. Of COURSE they're going to head into college thinking they are the shit. And the programs usually play right into that.

NBA has changed so much. I still think back to the teams of the 90's. Houston with Hakeem, New York with Ewing and Starks and even Derek Harper, Utah, Seattle, Portland, Detroit, La Lakers, Cleveland with Nance/Price/Hot Rod Williams. And of course, my Bulls. Funny thing though I probably can remember all the Knicks just as well as the Bulls because of how much I disliked most of them. Charles Smith... 3 layups...3 of them. Smith! Smith! SMITH AGAIN!

I miss those teams. What happened?

Old 01-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #228
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 PM
C'mon, I'm actually enjoying this Celtic season more with each injury (and I'm not kidding)...young guys like Jefferson, West, Green and Gomes are getting some valuable playing time(as was Tony Allen before his ill advised showboat knee blowout), competing with teams but thankfully coming up just short (going to OT with the Wiz, just falling short vs the Spurs) so they gain experience and maturity.
All the while the team inches ever closer (2nd worst in the NBA now, C'mon Grizz, get hot) to Greg Oden or at worst Kevin Durant joining them next season.
If I see Paul Pierce, I might step on his foot to ensure he's out a while longer....just lose baby.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #229
Blue Crack Distributor

jordan did what he did from blood, sweat and tears... now largely because of the overwellming success he had economicly with endorsement deals, every sneaker company in the world is looking to get "the next" jordan before anyone else discovers him.

there are lists that rank the top 4th grade players in the nation... i shit you not.

entitlement... the top players today get so much given to them at such an early age that many stop working as hard as they normaly would. why eat dinner when you've already got dessert?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #230
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?
Charles Smith... 3 layups...3 of them. Smith! Smith! SMITH AGAIN!
thou shall not speaketh his name again
Old 01-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #231
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

He's my favorite Knick. I loved it when he was in!

Actually, I really did like Patrick. I was supposed to hate him...but man. I felt bad for him. He was too good to not get a ring.

Plus, you had Oakley and Starks to hate instead. That was enough hate for me.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #232
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Plus, you had Oakley to hate instead. That was enough hate for me.
do not speak ill of the oak man. he will find you. he will kill you.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #233
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

OK FINE! I'll talk about Herb Williams!!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #234
Blue Crack Distributor

herb you can speak of. i neither like nor dislike herb. oakley is my favorite player of all time, so you can not speak ill of him... and charles smith, he is dead to me.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well now I'm intrigued. Assuming you disliked the Bulls a bit. Who was it you disliked the most? I am excluding Dennis Rodman from this entire conversation.

edit:

Anyone may answer if you disliked anyone or anything about the Bulls during the Jordan era.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #236
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:58 PM
so the all-star starters have been announced:

the east:

C - Shaq
F - Chris Bosh
F - LeBronBron
G - D-Wade
G - Gilbert Arenas

the west:

C - Yao (probably will be replaced by Amare)
F - Tim Duncan
F - KG
G - Tracy McGrady
G - The Mamba

Shaq plays 5 games and starts over Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Dirk aren't starting in the West?

Why do the NBA let people vote?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #237
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Well now I'm intrigued. Assuming you disliked the Bulls a bit. Who was it you disliked the most? I am excluding Dennis Rodman from this entire conversation.

edit:

Anyone may answer if you disliked anyone or anything about the Bulls during the Jordan era.
steve kerr

it's hard to hate jordan... i hated what he did to the knicks, but it's near impossible to hate the guy.

really there was more hate for the pacers and heat than for the bulls... probably because, as i said, it's very hard to hate michael jordan... but it was very easy to hate reggie miller

it was more of a sense of frustration with the bulls than outright hatred.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

^Oh man...even I hated Reggie Miller. I can only imagine being a Knick fan.

He was the best at pushing off to get open of anyone I've ever watched play. And by pushing off, i don't mean a little nudge. He would outright push...and always get away with it.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #239
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
herb you can speak of. i neither like nor dislike herb. oakley is my favorite player of all time, so you can not speak ill of him... and charles smith, he is dead to me.
Even though I'm a 76er fan, I watched a ton of Knick basketball in my life, and easily, my favorite Knick of all time is Oakley. He got traded to the Knicks on my prom night, I remember that (The same night Tyson knocked out Spinks in 91 seconds, and the same night I lost my....um, anyway). I could not jump, much like Oak, so I made sure when I played that I rebounded, set picks, played tough "D" and made people pay for taking it to the hoop, just like Oak. And, my best friend lived in Riverdale, and Oak had a car was there. and of course.....the wardrobe.....you guys try wearing a yellow suit. Gotta love the man!

I just saw Steve Kerr last week at the Cats/Bruins game...funny how as a basketball player, he's small, but he was a lot taller than I am.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #240
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
The same night Tyson knocked out Spinks in 91 seconds, and the same night I lost my....um, anyway).
which ironicly enough also lasted just 91 seconds