NBA 2018-19 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hayward looked good yesterday. As I said a while back in this thread, the playoffs schedule will benefit him with no back to backs and frankly too much time off between games at times in the early rounds to accommodate TV schedules.
Marcus Smart's absence wasn't felt against the Pacers, but it may be a factor against the Bucks.

Hayward looked good yesterday. As I said a while back in this thread, the playoffs schedule will benefit him with no back to backs and frankly too much time off between games at times in the early rounds to accommodate TV schedules.
Marcus Smart's absence wasn't felt against the Pacers, but it may be a factor against the Bucks.

Should be an interesting series. The Celtics have the players to give the Bucks a scare.

Might not seem like a big deal but since the Bucks traded Ray Allen away, it’s been catastrophic as a Bucks fan. There were years in there that I couldn’t even stomach to watch their games. So for them to win a playoff series...it’s a pretty damn great feeling.

Much higher aspirations though.

Everyone’s a Basketball Club

Lebron’s prior shit teams were exaggerations of shittiness when compared to the LA dumpster fire currently on the court. Plus, the LA locker room was filled with characters ripe for Lebron to piss off, mostly because he’s an egomaniac and the rest of his team is either not talented or not talented and has a personality type that absolutely clashes with lebron’s ego.

LeBron's previous shit teams played in the East, where it's infinitely easier to not just make the playoffs, but to advance.

LeBron also alienated his entire team by trying, unsuccessfully, to power play the franchise, which at the time was run by someone who would later quit so that the could tweet more (true story), into trading everyone.

LeBron's previous shit teams played in the East, where it's infinitely easier to not just make the playoffs, but to advance.

LeBron also alienated his entire team by trying, unsuccessfully, to power play the franchise, which at the time was run by someone who would later quit so that the could tweet more (true story), into trading everyone.

I was under the impression Magic quit because Jeannie Buss didn't want to fire Luke Walton?

Which now appears to have been a prescient notion:

Report: Kings coach Luke Walton being sued for alleged sexual assault

I guess the Lakers managed to do one thing right this season.

I was under the impression Magic quit because Jeannie Buss didn't want to fire Luke Walton?

Which now appears to have been a prescient notion:

Report: Kings coach Luke Walton being sued for alleged sexual assault

I guess the Lakers managed to do one thing right this season.
Nope

This all somehow escaped Johnson, even as the man who brought Showtime to the NBA explained, “I thought about Dwyane Wade retiring tomorrow, and I can’t even tweet it out or can’t be there,” as if an all-timer’s last dance would not be complete without a Magic tweet. He went so far as to cite a desire to “tweet when I want” as a reason for stepping down, along with wanting to be an ambassador for the game.

Magic’s final tweets on Tuesday and his first on Wednesday made no mention of Wade or Nowitzki, for what it’s worth. If his idea of being an ambassador for the NBA is turning the focus from one of the season’s best nights of basketball to the soap opera stuff off the court, then he succeeded. Otherwise, Magic probably could have waited until it mattered to the league that he was announcing his Lakers exit.

Dude wanted to tweet more.

Might not seem like a big deal but since the Bucks traded Ray Allen away, it’s been catastrophic as a Bucks fan. There were years in there that I couldn’t even stomach to watch their games. So for them to win a playoff series...it’s a pretty damn great feeling.

Much higher aspirations though.
It's very hard not to love Giannis.

And I think Magic didn't want to be the one who had to tell Walton he was fired if I recall what he said.
He just doesn't have the gumption for that type of position.

Magic said nothing of the sort.

He literally said he wanted to quit because he wanted to tweet more and go to games and help Ben Simmons without it being called tampering.

That's honest to god what he said.

The only person he said he didn't want to talk to was Jeannie Buss. He quit without telling his boss. So he could tweet.

What do y'all think of these?

[tweet]1120272161757773824[/tweet]

Apparently news hasn't reached the mythical land of Australia that the Seattle Supersonics ceased to exist in 2008.
The message in the Foster's can hasn't drifted all the way across the Pacific yet I guess.

Nope

Dude wanted to tweet more.

This is pretty reductive, I didn't ask for the Deadspin version of what happened. And it appears he definitely wanted Walton to go, more than Buss, who ironically wound up firing him shortly after anyway.

From ESPN:

When asked by Nichols if he was preparing to let Walton go, Johnson said, "Yeah, I was preparing to make that decision."

"But you know ... it was going to be tough for her, because she loves him, loves me," Johnson said of the dynamic with Buss, Walton and himself. "And I was already saying, you know what? Really, Earvin, are you really happy? So when I decided I wasn't, I didn't want to put her in a position like this. And so this was the right move to make. And I've never been so relieved."

Clearly he felt constrained in more ways than one, being able to speak out on social media just a part of it. There was also talk about other internal power struggles, leaked information, backstabbing, etc. So not really a foolish decision to not want to be a part of that circus anymore of you have other interests, both business and otherwise.

Last edited:
This is pretty reductive, I didn't ask for the Deadspin version of what happened. And it appears he definitely wanted Walton to go, more than Buss, who ironically wound up firing him shortly after anyway.

From ESPN:

When asked by Nichols if he was preparing to let Walton go, Johnson said, "Yeah, I was preparing to make that decision."

"But you know ... it was going to be tough for her, because she loves him, loves me," Johnson said of the dynamic with Buss, Walton and himself. "And I was already saying, you know what? Really, Earvin, are you really happy? So when I decided I wasn't, I didn't want to put her in a position like this. And so this was the right move to make. And I've never been so relieved."

Clearly he felt constrained in more ways than one, being able to speak out on social media just a part of it. There was also talk about other internal power struggles, leaked information, backstabbing, etc. So not really a foolish decision to not want to be a part of that circus anymore of you have other interests, both business and otherwise.

He was killed by just about everyone over what he did and how he did it. That's not the "deadspin" take. It's more or less the take.

From ESPN:

That's Magic backtracking after the fact:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-power-to-fire-luke-walton-before-resignation

Watch the video, he says "tomorrow I would have to affect somebody's livelihood and their life, and I thought about it, that's not fun for me", clearly referring to firing Walton which Buss gave him the OK to do, but he didn't want to be the meanie who swung the axe.

That's Magic backtracking after the fact:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-power-to-fire-luke-walton-before-resignation

Watch the video, he says "tomorrow I would have to affect somebody's livelihood and their life, and I thought about it, that's not fun for me", clearly referring to firing Walton which Buss gave him the OK to do, but he didn't want to be the meanie who swung the axe.
Yea he did say that (so I take back the "nothing of the sort" part)

I don't blame Magic at all for not wanting to do the job anymore, especially considering that a) he's rich, and b) his big signing is a headache and not worth his time.

It's how he did it that everyone has an issue with. It was as unprofessional as it gets.

I'm not disagreeing that he handled it idiotically. I'm just saying that it appears there was a lot of negative stuff going on in that organization, which is part of why he didn't want to be there anymore. "Wanted to tweet more" may sound funny but doesn't really shed light on any of that.

I'm not disagreeing that he handled it idiotically. I'm just saying that it appears there was a lot of negative stuff going on in that organization, which is part of why he didn't want to be there anymore. "Wanted to tweet more" may sound funny but doesn't really shed light on any of that.
It's a direct quote.

And Magic was a big part of creating the dumpster fire that he abandoned without even having the balls to tell his boss first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom