NBA 2014-2015 Thread: Draft, Free Agency, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that we've all kinda moved on from this topic, but there's an issue, a pattern present here, that I'm getting rather tired of seeing.

Who baited LN7? The only conversation I see was one where he blew up at other people basically unprovoked. Had the same conversation occurred in real life, I'm nearly positive he would have been met with the same response.

At some point, 7 needs to realize that no one is out to get him. It's a sports forum, we're talking about a game, not trying to solve world hunger. I realize that people can get testy when their fandom is called into question, but in no way do I think he was baited.

Jeez, congratulations on managing to revive something that was done... twice now.

There was no individual offense taken from anyone. Yeah, it started with GAF, but it's pretty easy to look past that discussion. I didn't take any offense from LemonMelon. Or from PhilsFan. Everyone else is being an ass jumping on board with the ribbing, but that's pretty easy to look past. It's you, you're the common element here. Well, headache to, but at least he can hate me while actually debating his stance on things... sometimes.

Minnesota would be fools to take anything less.
So I don't see Love ending up in Cleveland. They were smart enough to reject the Waiters/Bennettbust and a 1st rounder offer. (Celts had been willing to part with way more than that) A Cavs first rounder is going to be in the late 20's now, and is not a valuable commodity.

Isn't Love a free agent after this season? If so, Cleveland should just wait. They're not championship ready this year but I'd imagine players will start taking discounts to join Cleveland.

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

They really should just be patient for now. Take a year of being a little weak but rake in massively increased revenue. Then, with a year of proven playoff contention, start to use that success (and LeBron, of course) to snag FAs at a discount. All it really takes is a piece or two to take a team from the first round to the championship and I don't think a lot of fans are expecting a championship year 1, just a big leap.

Jeez, congratulations on managing to revive something that was done... twice now.

There was no individual offense taken from anyone. Yeah, it started with GAF, but it's pretty easy to look past that discussion. I didn't take any offense from LemonMelon. Or from PhilsFan. Everyone else is being an ass jumping on board with the ribbing, but that's pretty easy to look past. It's you, you're the common element here. Well, headache to, but at least he can hate me while actually debating his stance on things... sometimes.

Ha, alright, dude. Whatever. We're done.

Isn't Love a free agent after this season? If so, Cleveland should just wait. They're not championship ready this year but I'd imagine players will start taking discounts to join Cleveland.
The concern is someone else acquiring him and wooing him with a big contract offer.

Love is on the record as looking for a max deal, so doubtful he'd sign with Cavs for the mid level exception which is probably the best the Cavs would have to offer him as a FA, their only hope of landing him is through trade.

Cleveland has shown no signs of being willing to give up Wiggins at this point, so it seems that David Griffin agrees with you.

Cleveland has shown no signs of being willing to give up Wiggins at this point, so it seems that David Griffin agrees with you.

I realize there's basically no similarity between the system in baseball with any other sport, but if the last 5 years have taught me anything, it's to be patient with rebuilding. If the Cavs and their fans can just sit tight for even just a year or two, they might have something big on their fans.

Hewson is right, though. Waiting until free agency actually makes it much more difficult for them to bring Love in, contract-wise. The salary cap in the NBA is quite complex, but having the guy on your team gives you a lot more options to make the money work on a new contract than a free agent signing does.

The Cavs just rebuilt in the blink of an eye. They landed the #1 overall pick (one of 3 players at the top of a deep draft) and the best player in the league in a 2 week span. The team as constructed should at least reach the finals if they stay healthy, cause there's nobody who looks stronger or particularly close in the east (I can't give any nod to the Bulls until Rose shows some ability to come back from injury, I think he may never be close to what he was ever again, time will tell).

So they don't need Love (cue Beatles song), sure they'd be better with him, but they are heavy favorites in the east (hell Vegas has them as favorites for the title right now) as they stand. No patience needed from their fanbase...they just hit the jackpot.

The bench needs work if they want to reach the finals this year. A lot of it.

Which is exactly why Love shouldn't be their #1 priority. They're going to run LeBron into the ground this season if the whole team rests on his shoulders. They need role players and depth if they want to win a championship.

You are delusional if you think I care enough about you to hate you.

There's an ignore button. Feel free to use it.

The bench needs work if they want to reach the finals this year. A lot of it.

The bench needs a lot of work to win the title, not the east. Much like Miami this year, they should be able to win the east as constructed, the finals, not likely.

Who is their competition in the east?
Indiana? They've peaked, and if they lose Stephenson, though he's a headcase, that's a lot of production to replace.
Chicago? Rose's health still a concern, and they so far haven't added a lot (Gasol well on the back nine)
Brooklyn...please.
Miami? you think there's any way LeBron loses a playoff series to Riley next season?
Washington? Up and coming and just added depth in Pierce, but still a ways away.
Toronto...can't see it.

The east is Cleveland's for the taking right now.

The bench needs a lot of work to win the title, not the east. Much like Miami this year, they should be able to win the east as constructed, the finals, not likely.

Who is their competition in the east?
Indiana? They've peaked, and if they lose Stephenson, though he's a headcase, that's a lot of production to replace.
Chicago? Rose's health still a concern, and they so far haven't added a lot (Gasol well on the back nine)
Brooklyn...please.
Miami? you think there's any way LeBron loses a playoff series to Riley next season?
Washington? Up and coming and just added depth in Pierce, but still a ways away.
Toronto...can't see it.

The east is Cleveland's for the taking right now.

Fear the deer!

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm curious as to what kind of basketball Chris Bosh has in him without LeBron.

I can't imagine he will be any better than he was before coming to Miami.

I'm sure his numbers will improve, probably back to Toronto levels, but I don't think he's a #1 option for a title contender. Heat will probably be a 4 or 5 seed, maybe win one series and that's likely it.

If an absolute miracle happens and Rose has a great year, we've got this. I firmly believe this is team is as good, on paper, as 2010-2011 and the playing field is pretty damn level. It's just a matter of whether or not everyone plays to their potential.

The Wizards are pretty scary. Pierce was a solid edition and their starting 5 was already really good.

Last edited:
I'm sure his numbers will improve, probably back to Toronto levels, but I don't think he's a #1 option for a title contender. Heat will probably be a 4 or 5 seed, maybe win one series and that's likely it.

I don't think he ever was a #1 option. Even if Chris Bosh looks like good, I think ultimately it falls on Dwyane Wade to make this team worth a damn. And we all know that won't happen.

Chicago with s healthy Rose is the best team in the East. Clearly that's a huge if. Even without him they should be better than last year.

Indiana is obviously the most interesting team. Losing Stephenson may be a good thing for them, chemistry wise. But their chances rest 100% on Roy Hibbert. If he returns to form, they'll be very good.

Regardless, the East is now as wide open as it's been in a long long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom