NBA 2013-14 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PerkinsLeadsFastbreak.gif

I guess I just recognize that I don't know shit about how these guys will play in the pros, so, I'll wait and see. You're a coach so your opinion is a lot more informed. I'm just a fan.

Headache, in case you've watched any preseason basketball so far, I'm curious if you've been entertained by Andrea Bargnani trying to jump for rebounds.

I guess I just recognize that I don't know shit about how these guys will play in the pros, so, I'll wait and see. You're a coach so your opinion is a lot more informed. I'm just a fan.

Kentucky was out of the top 25 before Noel got hurt. Come NCAA time everyone was all "oh Kentucky had a bad year but Nerlens was hurt," but they were having a bad year before he got hurt.

He reminds me very much of a poor man's anthony davis, and davis himself was a limited offensive player.

I mean maybe he can play like an ibaka type role, but I see him more of a tyrus thomas... a kid who left too early, was over hyped due to his freakish athleticism, who eventually becomes a frustratingly inconsistent player due to his small flashes of what could be.

No scenario you describe above would surprise me. I just don't see him as a total bust, nor a perennial all-star....Ibaka-esque (and that would be great) is likely the ceiling....and Ty Thomas sounds like an accurate potential basement.

But, yeah, I just have no clue what the reality will be.

What's your opinion on Nerlens?
It's clear that there's a new emphasis on player development in the organization. This is a year of testing out what cheap parts can be put together as role players and depth before beginning to truly build. This isn't even rebuilding. This is surveying.

I'm glad that they're perfectly content to take it slow with Noel. I have no idea how he'll turn it because I saw so little of him in college. But I have confidence that this new staff will be one hundred times better for young players than Collins' staff, and if he's going to develop an offensive game, here's the place to do it.

The real prize of that trade was essentially guaranteeing Philly a top four pick (because they're going to have a bottom-three record unless something insane happens) and second lottery pick in 2014. It's supposed to be a good draft and should be Philly's best shot at building a true contender in my lifetime. Because let's be honest, Iverson's Sixers weren't "contenders" in the way we think of them now.

I'm also glad they're not building around a big man like they would have with Bynum.

The worst case scenario with Noel is still better than anything that happened last season with Andrew Bynum and Kwame Fucking Brown anyway.

Or watch with adjusted expectations, which is what I'll do. But Knicks fans are mostly jaded about the franchise.

Noel looks like a hell of an athlete, but also totally raw offensively, as has been said. Ultimately I'm glad the Cavs passed on him, even if Bennett at number one was a bit of a melon-scratcher, if I may borrow a term from Ned Flanders.

Noel looks like a hell of an athlete, but also totally raw offensively, as has been said. Ultimately I'm glad the Cavs passed on him, even if Bennett at number one was a bit of a melon-scratcher, if I may borrow a term from Ned Flanders.
Which is why I think Philly was a better situation for Noel. The Sixers have a renewed sense of direction with a smart, focused GM and a coach whose main interest is player development. He's a project in a system built to develop projects. Whereas Cleveland is essentially making a sales pitch to LeBron with its 2013-14 season and needs to show it's a viable championship contender with him on board.

I just think Philly could have gotten more for Lauren Cheney's husband then Noel, largely because I have little faith in Noel developing into anything solid.

Aside from that I agree with their approach. In 5 years they'll have a star in Wiggins, and the Knicks will be paying 30 million a year for a fat Carmelo Anthony to jack up bad shots and play no D.

New Orleans wasn't going to send a 2014 first and Anthony Davis, so I'm not sure what else the Sixers should have asked for. I think they absolutely fleeced the Pelicans with that deal. Jrue is a nice player and a great guy to root for, but he wasn't a player you can build around. He's a third piece on a team with two established go-to guys.

Win-now teams have almost no leverage in any sort of deal. That Pelicans squad doesn't make a ton of sense on paper unless Davis makes the leap, they find a post-up player to pair with him (Anderson for Asik feels glaringly obvious), and Tyreke Evans wipes off the stink of playing for a terrible team.

I don't see how that squad cracks the Top 10 in the West, then again what do I know?

And, a propos, JR Smith's brother just made the team. He can't play professional basketball, in case you're wondering.

To quote a blogger that I like:

No, he’s not good enough to be on an NBA roster. We’ve been hearing the nepotism chatter for awhile now, and yes, it does smack of all the gobsmackingly stupid, incestuous ways in which this so-called pro franchise has functioned for over a decade. It also reaffirms all the paranoid musings about “CAA running the team” and/or Dolan having some kind of under-the-table deal w/the Smith family mafia clan in exchange for one of the two contracts that favorite son JR has signed over the past two off seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom