NBA 2012 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LuckyNumber7 said:
Also, you've got to keep in mind that sometimes that's a set play. I'm certainly no basketball coach so I couldn't really tell (Headache I'd like to hear..?), but how much leverage do you think LeBron is given to make whatever decision he wants? He could just be doing what he's told...?

This is a no win argument for you, for a few reasons.

First... any time I've drawn up a play for a last second shot, it was designed to get my best player the ball in a spot where he is comfortable.

I've seen best players used as decoys before. We had a kid one year who was very unclutch so we used him as a decoy a few times. Ironically he's in the NBA now and the kid who got the shot is a D3 player... go figure.

But in lebron's case... no answer is good for him. Either his coaches know he's not clutch and are purposely not giving him the last shot... obviously not good... or he's just such a nervous nelly that he's simply pooping the bed when it matters most.

:shrug: it happens. Not everybody is born clutch. Not everybody tells the world how great they are, either. When those two things are combined, you're gonna get yourself mocked.

There is a giant mental aspect to sports that can not be overlooked. Its why I laugh at stat geeks who try and take any sort of humanity out of sports. There is no stat to tell you why lebron pusses out in big spots, while a journeyman, mediocre player like Robert Horry can become legendary for hitting big shots. Some guys have it, some guys don't.

Talent will only take you so far.

As to the actual play its self... that was definitely drawn up for lebron to take it to the rim. Battier inbounded and went strong side corner. Wade and Chalmers went weak side to pull the help defense out of the way. Haslem was there probably to crash for any potential offensive rebounds.

Haslem is the worst offensive player on the court. You do not draw up a play to hive the ball to your worst scorer. Haslem's man did sag off, but there was still plenty of room for lebron to get to the rim. He passed.

Wait so it's a no win argument for me because of your decisions as a coach? I mean is it not perfectly understandable that Spoelstra could be pulling the strings completely?

I'm not saying LeBron is a clutch player. But that doesn't necessarily mean he 'wants nothing to do with the ball'. He might want the ball but he's told to give it up.

Yeah, he's not the best for a final shot. That doesn't necessarily mean he's not clutch though. Just clutch in different aspects. I'd say LeBron is clutch at pulling his team out of a hole, that's for sure. He's just not clutch enough to make that buzzer beater. Yeah, that's a bad thing. Perhaps it deserves some mocking, but God you just never give it up. You have an utter hatred for the guy and I just can't see why you insist upon going out of your way to hate someone who should otherwise be easy to ignore if he's not walking the walk.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Wait so it's a no win argument for me because of your decisions as a coach? I mean is it not perfectly understandable that Spoelstra could be pulling the strings completely?

I'm not saying LeBron is a clutch player. But that doesn't necessarily mean he 'wants nothing to do with the ball'. He might want the ball but he's told to give it up.

Yeah, he's not the best for a final shot. That doesn't necessarily mean he's not clutch though. Just clutch in different aspects. I'd say LeBron is clutch at pulling his team out of a hole, that's for sure. He's just not clutch enough to make that buzzer beater. Yeah, that's a bad thing. Perhaps it deserves some mocking, but God you just never give it up. You have an utter hatred for the guy and I just can't see why you insist upon going out of your way to hate someone who should otherwise be easy to ignore if he's not walking the walk.

It's a no win argument because either

a) Spoelstra is purposely drawing up plays with don't involve LeBron, his best player, taking the last shot because he has no confidence in his ability to make it

or

b) he's simply pussing out every time.

Last I checked this was a basketball thread... for discussion of NBA happenings.

Last I checked, most major sports outlets and/or basketball sites discuss this issue every time it pops up, which of late has been often.

So why would it be shocking that it is brought up here just as often?

Just ignore LeBron? He's everywhere. He wants to be everywhere. He goes out of his way to draw attention to himself. But when he does things poorly, we're supposed to just ignore him?

You know who we don't talk about that we should? Derrick Rose and Kevin Durant. You know why they don't get discussed more often? They don't draw needless attention to themselves the way the fraud in Miami does. That's why. They just ball.

i see what you did there :mad: :hi5:

i was dead wrong on beasley. but that again goes to show how big the mental part of the game is. that dude is extremely talented, but he's psychological swiss cheese, so it doesn't matter. i was also wrong on rose... still not a fan of point guards who shoot too often, but rose is a beast, and his attitude is phenomenal. he doesn't needlessly jack shots just because he thinks it's an affront to humanity that anyone else should shoot, the way iverson and marbury did. he takes a lot of shots because he's the best player on the team :shrug:

i don't think i was on oden... i believe i was concerned over the idea that he thought about giving up basketball to become a dentist, and that his heart wasn't in it. don't remember what i thought of durant, other than that he was so incredibly frail that i thought he might break. dude is a flat out killer. and i love that he already extended in oklahoma city, without any fan fare or long, drawn out contract issue.

every time it looks like the knicks are ready to take the next step and join the list of contenders in the east, they shit the bed. and every time it looks like boston is ready to roll over and die a slow and miserable death, they scratch and claw there way to a victory. and that pretty much says it all about both teams and the makeup of some of the players on said teams.

I can talk a bit of D-Rose because he single-handedly beat Philly last night.

Did you know the Sixers are 12-2 with Spencer Hawes and 10-14 without him? I did not.

Also, I dislike Dwyane Wade more than LeBron because he likes to fake injuries. It's a more subtle way of bringing attention to him than the LeBron ad campaign.

4jl6z9.gif

I can talk a bit of D-Rose because he single-handedly beat Philly last night.

Did you know the Sixers are 12-2 with Spencer Hawes and 10-14 without him? I did not.

hawes was quietly having a very good season.

collins is an excellent coach. he does tend to wear out his welcome with pro's thanks to his intense attention to details, but he's very good at what he does. always wondered why he didn't go the college route... his style would seem to fit better there than with the NBA, where he can rub the large of ego the wrong way.

hawes was quietly having a very good season.

collins is an excellent coach. he does tend to wear out his welcome with pro's thanks to his intense attention to details, but he's very good at what he does. always wondered why he didn't go the college route... his style would seem to fit better there than with the NBA, where he can rub the large of ego the wrong way.
He was. He really is a very good passer from the post and opens up a lot of things because of that. Lavoy Allen is a flash in the pan and was a second round pick for a reason, and Nik Vucevic can't defend. They're struggling to fill that hole.

The Sixers are actually built somewhat like a good college team: a deep bench with a ton of role players, with good schemes and a ton of hustle on defense and in transition. It's just that they do not have one guy to take that last shot or draw that foul with the game on the line. Iguodala once again proved himself a terrible clutch player last night, missing a go-ahead three with an air ball and then bricking the tying three without even hitting the rim. I hate him so much.

I don't think Collins would like recruiting, though, which is why he never went the college way. He doesn't even like making moves in the NBA.

the perfect ending to my season would be Lebron hitting the game winning shot in Game 7 of the NBA Finals. i would laugh my ass off.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
It's a no win argument because either

a) Spoelstra is purposely drawing up plays with don't involve LeBron, his best player, taking the last shot because he has no confidence in his ability to make it

or

b) he's simply pussing out every time.

Last I checked this was a basketball thread... for discussion of NBA happenings.

Last I checked, most major sports outlets and/or basketball sites discuss this issue every time it pops up, which of late has been often.

So why would it be shocking that it is brought up here just as often?

Just ignore LeBron? He's everywhere. He wants to be everywhere. He goes out of his way to draw attention to himself. But when he does things poorly, we're supposed to just ignore him?

You know who we don't talk about that we should? Derrick Rose and Kevin Durant. You know why they don't get discussed more often? They don't draw needless attention to themselves the way the fraud in Miami does. That's why. They just ball.

My point was that if you give a baby attention everytime it cries it will never learn. When you make such a big deal out of the so called fraud in Miami, you're only fueling the fire.

LeBron's fucking 27 years old. If he hasn't learned by now, he never will. It's not our job to be his parents. Our job is to root for our team and call it like we see it. I shouldn't have to refrain from calling him a jackass in hopes that he will "learn his lesson." That's on him.

I mean, I get what you're saying. When T.O. came back to Philly for the first time, I was all on board the "get the stadium silent instead of booing him" train. But this is not that. This is an argument over whether or not we should talk about him in an NBA forum. Obviously, ignoring him in here is pointless as shit.

The Knicks are so frustrating to watch right now. Time is running out on them.

It's not all bad. They were kind enough to allow my beloved Roddy B to not look completely lost for once.

The Knicks are so frustrating to watch right now. Time is running out on them.

yea it's a problem...

everyone can blame d'antoni for his lack of defense all they want... but when melo and amar'e were out, the knicks were ranked 5th in the league in all around defense. ever since they've come back, the knicks have regressed on both sides of the floor. it's not a coincidence. the melo/amar'e experiment is failing miserably, and melo is the one who has the most fault.

yea it's a problem...

everyone can blame d'antoni for his lack of defense all they want... but when melo and amar'e were out, the knicks were ranked 5th in the league in all around defense. ever since they've come back, the knicks have regressed on both sides of the floor. it's not a coincidence. the melo/amar'e experiment is failing miserably, and melo is the one who has the most fault.

Originally Posted by Hewson
Knicks could go 66-0 if they unloaded Stoudemire and Anthony.

Stoudemire's defense yesterday was just atrocious. People are harping on Lin for failing to guard point guards, but there's absolutely no help. I could swear that Tony Parker had 13 or so uncontested layups while Amar'e was standing passively.

I do think that the team needs Melo to be competitive. There is no go-to scorer without him. The fact that he's having possibly the worst year in his career hasn't helped.

Back
Top Bottom