NBA 2012 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Comcast, for all its faults, has not blacked out my sports at home. Though it blacks out the Flyers here because of NHL zoning, which blows as a hockey fan.

League Pass broadband pulls the same kind of bollocks. The Bulls are seldom available on it owing to local cable broadcasts, but the whole point of the package in the first place for me was avoiding paying for cable.

A friend had the same problem with the MLB version. He didn't feel like paying for cable and still wanted to watch Rangers games. No dice.

I could do without cable and just use Hulu or more nefarious means for the shows I like, but then I'd be missing out on 162 Rangers games and the few Mavericks games we actually get down here.

League Pass broadband pulls the same kind of bollocks. The Bulls are seldom available on it owing to local cable broadcasts, but the whole point of the package in the first place for me was avoiding paying for cable.

This is one great thing about living overseas for these things. No blackouts :drool:

yeah_i_jumped_on_the_bandwagon_but_im_still_a_sixers_fan.png

so Mark Jackson, the announcer, spends the past three years knocking the Knicks and Mike D'Antoni, largely because the Knicks passed up on hiring jax as their coach all those years ago...

then Mark Jackson, the coach, in one of his first moves cuts Jeremy Lin, who saves D'Antoni's job and becomes an overnight legend in New York.

:happy: go fuck yourself, mark jackson.

and then, as the SportsDouche pointed out, there's this...

if David Stern allows the Pao Gasol trade to go down, then Houston probably never cuts Jeremy Lin in place of the traded Goran Dragic. The trade gets vetoed, Dragic stays, Houston has 3 point guards under contract and can't justify keeping a 4th, Lin, who gets cut and ends up in New York, and ends up saving their season from utter disaster... potentially ending up out of the playoffs and in the lottery... and who owns the Knicks draft pick this year? Houston.

Linsanity, folks.

Here, Headache. Welcome to Linsanity.

Time Warner Cable and MSG Resolve Dispute
By HOWARD BECK and RICHARD SANDOMIR
The 48-day standoff between the MSG Network and Time Warner Cable ended Friday, according to two people aware of the resolution who were not authorized to speak publicly.

The end of the impasse will be announced Friday afternoon by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and executives of both companies. A settlement had been urged by Eric T. Schneiderman, the state’s attorney general. The governor’s intervention in the past 24 hours with James L. Dolan, executive chairman of Madison Square Garden, and Glenn Britt, chief executive of Time Warner Cable, accelerated the agreement.

The blackout deprived many Knicks fans around the state of seeing much of the rapid rise to stardom of point guard Jeremy Lin — as well as the continued success of the New York Rangers.

The impasse began Jan. 1 with the companies disagreeing angrily over what Time Warner Cable would pay to continue carrying MSG. Time Warner Cable, which serves more than two million customers, insisted that MSG reneged on a proposal for a 6.5 percent increase late last year and then demanded a 54 percent hike. MSG has never discussed figures publicly but said Time Warner’s were not accurate.

And of course with that, Lin will foul out in 8 minutes with 2 points and 1 assisit and the Knicks will lose to one of the NBA's worst teams.

Attention whore.

LeBron James’ sly campaign to return to Cleveland followed a private message to Dan Gilbert - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

LeBron James’ sly campaign to return to Cleveland followed a private message to Dan Gilbert

LeBron James came to Cleveland with an unmistakable mission this week, the beginning of a campaign to soften the fans and ownership on his desire to return to the Cavaliers in 2014. Free agency is forever on his mind, and James is determined to make his hometown want him as much he wants it again.

This was no accident, no misspeaking, nothing out of context. Before mentioning Thursday his openness to playing in Cleveland again, James months ago had an emissary or two carry that message to the Cavaliers’ front office, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. His camp wanted the message delivered to owner Dan Gilbert, sources said, but so far, the response has been silence.

The Heat play the Cavaliers on Friday night in Cleveland, and yes, LeBron has manufactured the drama of his return again. James can’t opt out of his contract until after the 2013-2014 season, but he understands that the Cavaliers would have to make a decision to hold back on its rebuild, preserve cap space, and wait on him all over again. He has to convince Gilbert to make the leap of faith, and that includes first working over the fans.

Of his return, James said: “I think it would be great. It would be fun to play in front of these fans again. I had a lot fun times in my seven years here. … I’m here as a Miami Heat player, and I’m happy where I am now, but I don’t rule that out in no sense.

“And if I decide to come back, hopefully the fans will accept me.”

And then, Friday morning, James tried to play the other side: “The fans of Miami shouldn’t be worried about anything at this point.”

At this point. Make no mistake: James will need to make this easy for Gilbert, make it a public mandate. It promises to be a delicate dance for Gilbert. After all that, how do you welcome him back. And, well, how do you tell that talent, that kind of winning and profit, no?

“He has started to lay the groundwork, and he’s waiting to see what Dan Gilbert’s reaction to it is,” one league source with direct knowledge told Yahoo! Sports.

Here we go again, yes. Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio reported a month ago that James had expressed unhappiness in Miami, and that a return was on his mind. Different dynamics are working here too. James loves to be in perpetual recruitment, always wanting to be wanted. LeBron is the MVP of the NBA this season, and yet, he isn’t the story. And he likes to be the story. In the middle of Linsanity, James made a bid for some bold headlines – and that worked. It always works for him.

James’ doubts on his choice of Miami started as soon as his cable television show ended July 8, 2010, sources said, and it wasn’t until Gilbert released that hellacious public statement that James knew fully that he would leave Cleveland behind. Cleveland’s reaction still haunts him, and he never wanted to be hated there.

Those who know Heat president Pat Riley believe he has to be livid with the past 24 hours, because loyalty is everything to him. The Heat stood with James through the public evisceration of a season, the NBA Finals collapse, and, with three more trips to the playoffs under this contract still awaiting him, it is beyond belief James is publicly discussing his next stop in free agency.

James’ camp hasn’t heard a word out of Gilbert, nor will they. Under NBA tampering rules, Gilbert isn’t allowed to engage them on the matter. Gilbert hired a private law firm and spent several hundred thousand dollars to investigate what he believed to be tampering by Riley and the Heat when James was a Cavalier. He never made any of those findings – if there were any – public, or turned them over to the league office.

Gilbert hasn’t bothered to weigh the pros and cons of such a historic reconciliation, sources said, largely because it’s well over two years away. Things change. How James feels tomorrow could be entirely different than how he feels today. Within the Heat, they have to wonder about his investment with them, his commitment. As one league executive briefed on this matter said, “At least with Cleveland, this didn’t start until the last year, or year and a half. He has a long way to go there. “

Whatever his desire to win championships, LeBron James lives for the recruitment, lives to be wanted elsewhere. That never changes, and it promises to start the hysteria to 2014 free agency all over again. LeBron James comes home on Friday, and yes, he may yet come home again for good.

local blackouts on the packages are set up by the leagues.

we don't get the mets or yankees on the baseball package here either.

You sure about that? I thought it was the teams that declared their home territory.

Either way, it's the same bullshit here in Orlando. If you're in Tampa, you can't get the Rays. If you're in South Florida, you can't get the Marlins. That makes sense of course. But the rest of the state doesn't permit MLB.tv to air either team.

Here's the catch though - there are several portions of Orlando, Central, and Northern Florida that will exclusively or majorly show just the Rays or just the Marlins. I had that issue on campus last year. This year, I switched to Comcast and they're a lot better than Brighthouse. The logic simply isn't there if you black out a region and dont show it on TV. It's like saying... become a Rays fan god damn you!

LuckyNumber7 said:
You sure about that? I thought it was the teams that declared their home territory.

Either way, it's the same bullshit here in Orlando. If you're in Tampa, you can't get the Rays. If you're in South Florida, you can't get the Marlins. That makes sense of course. But the rest of the state doesn't permit MLB.tv to air either team.

Here's the catch though - there are several portions of Orlando, Central, and Northern Florida that will exclusively or majorly show just the Rays or just the Marlins. I had that issue on campus last year. This year, I switched to Comcast and they're a lot better than Brighthouse. The logic simply isn't there if you black out a region and dont show it on TV. It's like saying... become a Rays fan god damn you!

All of those things are negotiated, thus are a league issue.

The "league" works for team owners. So we're both right.

Point was that it's not the cable companies who are mandating local blackouts on the packages.

I have no idea why LeBron keeps talking about a potential return. Maybe he really is showing remorse - though I do stress the "maybe" in that clause.

Alright that makes sense. In fact, it probably wouldn't have made much sense with the way I had it in my head without some form of negotiation/finalization.

Hopefully Baron will get back today. This Knicks team is suddenly really deep.

Back
Top Bottom