NBA 2012 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amar'e should be back on Tuesday, Carmelo will be out for another week or so.

Jeremy-Lin-GIF.gif

i did read a funny quote yesterday.

"Linsanity is different from Tebowmania because when Lin throws a bounce pass, it was actually intentional".

Lin has just become the first player to win a "Player of the Week" award in both the NBA and the D-League.

Maybe someone can help me understand why I am seeing stories on ESPN about Carmelo being "able" to play with Lin. The latter is a point guard, right? It's not as though he is taking Carmelo's position. Why the hell is this even a story?

Maybe someone can help me understand why I am seeing stories on ESPN about Carmelo being "able" to play with Lin. The latter is a point guard, right? It's not as though he is taking Carmelo's position. Why the hell is this even a story?

Carmelo Anthony has a reputation for being, shall we say, rather parsimonious with the basketball.

I don't mind reading saturation coverage about Jeremy Lin. I'm ok. I'll survive. It's a great story.

But these goddamned headline puns need to stop. Sports page editors are a plague upon the earth, lazily plugging puns in.

DX0hB.png

Dzg1d.png

JcymW.png

Lin-k
Going ‘Linsane,’ sports media quickly running out of Jeremy Lin puns

Jeremy Lin has been a starting point guard in the NBA for less than a week now. But the 23-year-old Harvard graduate's meteoric rise from basketball's D-league obscurity to unlikely New York Knicks star has taken the sports media world by storm, inspiring a tidal wave of puns along the way.

Just look at some of the headlines published by New York tabloids:

LIN-CREDIBLE KNICKS DO NUMBER ON JAZZ
-- New York Post, Feb. 8

LIN YOUR FACE!
-- New York Post, Feb. 9

LINNING STREAK
-- New York Post, Feb. 9

THE MIGHTY LIN
-- Daily News, Feb. 10

MAY THE BEST MAN LIN
-- New York Post, Feb. 10

LINCREDIBLE!
-- New York Post, Feb. 11

COMEBACK LIN!
-- Daily News, Feb. 12

JEREMY WIN!
-- New York Post, Feb. 12

LIN & BEAR IT!
-- New York Post, Feb. 13

LINSTANT REPLAY
-- Daily News, Feb. 13

JEL-LIN
-- New York Post, Feb. 13

ESPN, which broadcast Lin's 38-point breakout performance over Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday night, has played a role in fanning the Lin flames:

Lin-citement
-- ESPN.com, Feb. 11

Jeremy Spoke In MSG Today
-- ESPN.com, Feb. 11

Where Linsanity goes from here
-- ESPN.com, Feb. 11

The Lin-sanity continues
-- ESPN.com, Feb. 12

TWC subscribers miss Linsanity
-- ESPN.com, Feb. 12

Lin As In Win
-- ESPN, Feb. 12

But there's more:

Lin launches NBA "Linsanity" with meteoric rise with Knicks
-- Reuters, Feb. 11

Linsanity Rages
-- Washington Post, Feb. 11

It's Official: Linsanity Is for Real
-- Time Magazine, Feb. 11

The Beautifully Linsane
-- Wall Street Journal, Feb. 12

The top of the Wall Street Journal's Monday print edition is a collage of Lin photos interspersed with a "LINSANITY!" headline. Inside, an article by Jason Gay recapping the "Linsanity' of the last week wonders what might happen if the excitement starts to fade. "For all the pun-tastic headline rapture involving the point guard's last name," Gay wrote, "is there any doubt that the New York Post and Daily News are sitting on HAS-LIN?"

The New York Times has used the term "Linsanity" at least 19 times in print and online the last week, according to a quick search of their website. A recap of the Knicks' 100-98 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves on Saturday featured this lede:

A hint of Linsanity surfaced in the frigid Upper Midwest on Saturday night. A small but vocal contingent in the capacity crowd of 20,232 at Target Center cheered when Jeremy Lin, the Kinicks' unlikely new star, was introduced before the game with the Minnesota Timberwolves. A handful of Asian fans scattered throughout the arena included a woman who draped a sign that read, "Me Love You Lin Time," over the west entrance to the floor.

The online version of the recap was altered, removing both "Linsanity" and reference to the fan's politically incorrect cheer.

Business Insider even got into the act late last week, publishing a list 50 Jeremy Lin puns, with "Business Linsider" in the no. 1 slot.

There's evidence that if it were not for an annual swimsuit issue, Lin would've been a lock for this week's Sports Illustrated cover.

The Knicks organization is, naturally, attempting to cash in on all of the hype, rushing Jeremy Lin jerseys to the shelves, even releasing a Jeremy Lin app for the Android and iPhone.

There is, however, one piece of Lin real estate that apparently won't be exploited by the Knicks or the media: Linsanity.com. That URL was apparently registered by one of Lin's high school basketball coaches in June 2010. It carries "LinSanitees."

"Having long ago been declared terminally LinSane," a note on the website reads. "We have followed Jeremy Lin's career since his days at Palo Alto High School always firmly believing that his time would come and that the world would know our LinSanity. And, if you're as truly LinSane as us, these TEES are just what the doctor ordered."

Oh, Metta.

"Yeah, we talked about him," World Peace said. "We think he needs a better haircut. I don't like that style. We're in New York, the fashion capital. You're a star now.

"Put down the nerdy Harvard book glasses. Put on some black shades with some leather pants. Change your style. Put down that law book. Stop reading the New York Times.

"Come to practice with your pants sagging and just tell them, 'I don't feel like practicing.' Come to practice with a cigar lit."

James Dolan is one lucky bastard.

CNBC sports business analyst Darren Rovell unleashed a torrent of tweets Monday that quantified Lin's exploding popularity. Among them: web traffic to NYKnicks.com increased 550 percent last week, and video views rose 1,205 percent. When stock in publicly traded Madison Square Garden hit a 52-week high Monday (and closed at $32.32), it marked an increase in the company's market capitalization of $228 million since Lin's debut, Rovell wrote. With a lockout-adjusted second-year minimum salary of $613,474, all the Knicks had to pay Lin for his week's work was approximately $25,000.

and yet, the majority of people who live in manhattan can not watch the Knicks... to wit, i direct you to this appropriately worded and titled article from deadspin.

Dear MSG And Time Warner Cable: Eat A Bag Of Salted Dicks

Linsanity reached a fever pitch last night, and judging from Twitter, all of North America saw it happen. Not me. I can't watch the most exciting thing to happen to the NBA in years, and I can't watch any Knicks games because I live in New York.

Maybe the dickwaving contest between MSG and Time Warner Cable seems merely theoretical to you: something that's only happening in a far-off land. Nope. Shit is real. Mine is one of more than a million households where the MSG Network, home to the Knicks, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, and Sabres, is completely and totally blacked out. Unless a game is on national TV, the only way to see this Jeremy Lin kid I hear everyone talking about is to find a shitty illegal stream online, or go a bar and pray that bar doesn't also have Time Warner.

It is fucking infuriating. You know how I found out Lin hit a game-winning three last night? I saw it on Deadspin. That the Rangers, the best team in hockey, kicked the crap out of the 2nd place Bruins might as well be a rumor I saw in a newspaper. Why couldn't this have happened in 2003? Why couldn't I be deprived of Howard Eisley and Bobby Holik instead? I don't know enough profanities to properly express how awful it is to not be able to watch my damn teams play their damn games. It's like living in a third world country, or like being a Chargers fan.

We can't live without sports. You see this as a truism and a sign of loyalty. They see this as dollar signs. You already pay nearly $5 a month just for ESPN—four times as much as any other national network—because ESPN knows they can charge whatever and your cable provider will happily pass the cost along. What are you going to do, not get ESPN? Psh. The reason MSG is off the air is because they weren't happy with the $4.65 per month they were getting from Time Warner for each subscriber. They want more than more than seven dollars a month for their channel, and they're probably going to get close to that number. And that's the worst part of all this: soon MSG and Time Warner will end this stupid feud and I'll get fucked in the ass anyway. Because I'm a consumer, and consumers always get fucked in the ass. Like every negotiation, the sides will eventually meet in the middle and happily jack up my cable bill, and I'll have nothing but a couple of months of cold, miserable, sports-free life to show for it. Christ. It's like, if you're going to shit on me anyway, just get the shitting-on over with as quickly as possible. I want my Linsanity, assholes.

the people have spoken

Been really busy with other stuff and that coupled with not having a TV to watch the games on for a bit, meant that the first (almost) full NBA game of the season I have been able to watch was the Knicks vs Raptors the other day. So I had also no idea of what this guy was all about except from hearing brief radio clips about "Linsanity" etc

So I'm watching and the Raps are up most of the game, I'm watching him going wow pretty good, nice dynamic player etc etc....and then the Knicks start whittling away and next thing I know it's a minute something to go and he drives for the bucket and completes the and-1..and I'm going holy shit this guy just took it on himself like that..and then it's 14 seconds to go and he calmly walks the ball up from the midcourt and patiently waits till the final second, shifts Calderon ever so slightly and drills a trey in his eye..like a mutherfuckin monster..that's a veteran play right there, such maturity and poise...I'm thoroughly impressed and I haven't read a word about him until now.

You know it's for real when the home crowd (Toronto) is on their feet cheering him on and celebrating his final shot...the shot that beat us. Crazy.

and yet, the majority of people who live in manhattan can not watch the Knicks... to wit, i direct you to this appropriately worded and titled article from deadspin.

the people have spoken

This really sucks. I had to endure some shitty streams just to see some games. Finally decided to cancel Time Warner (not mainly because of the MSG thing, but it also contributed).

This really sucks. I had to endure some shitty streams just to see some games. Finally decided to cancel Time Warner (not mainly because of the MSG thing, but it also contributed).

if i could cancel time warner, i would have done so long ago.

i live in a building where i can't put a dish up, and we don't get ViOS. so it's time warner or a poke in the eye.

i fucking hate time warner. time warner fighting with jim dolan is to me what it must have been like for a jets fan to watch the giants play the patriots in the super bowl.

Back
Top Bottom