NBA 2012-13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably... but I think they'd have struggled with him at first as well.

Nash still hasn't played, pao is hurt and doesn't really want to play, and Dwight's a complete bitch.

Their roster seems so great but kinda sucks. They can't withstand any injuries at all. Neither can Miami, but they're all still young and don't get hurt. Wade is now showing his age and they've struggled.

I still think they'll turn it around provided they can get Nash and Pao healthy..

Miami was 8-12. Lakers are 9-12. Plenty of time.

Yeah, I don't think it's all on D'Antoni, but it says something that he has so far had trouble without a legitimately good PG running the teams he coached. Their defense has also been really bad.

I think they'll get better, but they are not good enough (or deep enough) to beat OKC or the Spurs in the playoffs. Even Memphis and the Clippers would probably beat them.

earn-this1.jpg

Yeah, I don't think it's all on D'Antoni, but it says something that he has so far had trouble without a legitimately good PG running the teams he coached. Their defense has also been really bad.

I think they'll get better, but they are not good enough (or deep enough) to beat OKC or the Spurs in the playoffs. Even Memphis and the Clippers would probably beat them.

Well yea, something can and should be said. He runs an point guard driven system. Without one, the system isn't nearly as good.

All it took was mediocre Jeremy Lin to make it look good in NY.

It can't all be on the coach when you're on your second coach. Maybe Phil is the only one who can get through to Kobe... Ironic considering Phil retired the first time because the Lakers wouldn't trade Kobe.

Well, what I meant is that so far he only made it work with Nash. I don't think you can say he was super successful with Lin. Other than the Linsanity stretch - where they played the likes of the Nets, Wizards, Jazz, Raptors and Kings, they weren't good until Woodson took over. And if your system only works with HOF talents like Nash, I think there might be a problem.

Again, I'm not saying it's all on him, and he gets way too much hatred for his time in New York. But now that many teams are using some of his better ideas (like the Spurs), I don't think he has a big comparative advantage anymore.

Well... I'll say this.

His system works. As you've said many other successful coaches and teams both in the NBA and college have adopted things from the d'antoni playbook... From the spurs to Duke and beyond.

And he was also incredibly successful in Europe before coming over to the suns.

So there's no question that the system can and does work with or without Steve Nash.

That said... Its entirely possible that the problem isn't the d'antoni system, but rather d'antoni himself. He just might not be able to deal with the modern selfish superstar. He couldn't deal with melo, and he's got two of the most selfish guys around on his current roster in Kobe and Howard.

It quite simply may be that d'antoni is best suited to be an assistant coach, and can only be a head guy in the right situation with the right star... i.e. Steve Nash, as unselfish, hardworking a superstar we have had in the league over the last few years.

A guy like Nash can sooth over the other stars egos though... much in the same way Kidd has helped the Knicks. So I'll still give d'antoni until Nash comes back before I call it a complete bust.

If its still a failure then? Yea... Phil or nothing. Or quite possibly Phil and STILL nothing.

Fair enough. I think he has been stubborn at times with making adjustments according to his personnel. And his job was certainly made easier by having a guy like Nash running point for him. It doesn't detract anything from the fact that his Phoenix tenure probably changed the way many NBA teams run their offenses.

Damn you Howard if you hurt Carmelo. I didn't think it was possible to dislike you more.

Edit: phew. Apparently he's fine. Looked really bad as it happened.

This Knicks team has a lot of firepower. I'm not sure if 29 three-point attempts per game is a sustainable policy, though.

The Cavs look significantly better than their record. Maybe they were inspired yesterday (and the Knicks defense is generally pretty bad against teams with quick guards), but I think their talent is much better than some of the teams ahead of them.

The Cavs look significantly better than their record. Maybe they were inspired yesterday (and the Knicks defense is generally pretty bad against teams with quick guards), but I think their talent is much better than some of the teams ahead of them.

They are well-coached in the sense that they almost always play extremely hard. The bench is the major problem. Without Irving or Waiters on the floor, they have no one who can create offense (unless you count CJ Miles, who just throws up a shot every time he touches the ball).

I think their talent is much better than some of the teams ahead of them.

Interesting that you say this, as I actually think Cleveland has one of the least talented rosters in the league.

36 Omri Casspi F 6-9 225 06/22/1988 Hapoel Galil Elyon/Israel
33 Alonzo Gee F 6-6 219 05/29/1987 Alabama/USA
1 Daniel Gibson G 6-2 200 02/27/1986 Texas/USA
2 Kyrie Irving G 6-3 191 03/23/1992 Duke/USA
5 Kevin Jones F 6-8 260 08/25/1989 West Virginia/USA
30 Jon Leuer F 6-10 228 05/14/1989 Wisconsin/USA
0 C.J. Miles F 6-6 222 03/18/1987 Skyline HS (Dallas, TX)/USA
8 Jeremy Pargo G 6-2 219 03/17/1986 Gonzaga/USA
24 Samardo Samuels C 6-9 260 01/09/1989 Louisville/Jamaica
15 Donald Sloan G 6-3 205 01/15/1988 Texas A&M/USA
13 Tristan Thompson F 6-9 227 03/13/1991 Texas/Canada
17 Anderson Varejao C 6-11 260 09/28/1982 FC Barcelona/Brazil
3 Dion Waiters G 6-4 215 12/10/1991 Syracuse/USA
4 Luke Walton F 6-8 235 03/28/1980 Arizona/USA
40 Tyler Zeller C-F 7-0 250 01/17/1990 North Carolina/USA

Yuck.

What do you see in that?

Irving...Waiters...Varejao plays his ass off...Thompson has some skill, but is an idiot.

Other than that, yuck. That team blows. The Knicks almost lost to a team that blows. It happens.

Do you think that Charlotte, Detroit and Toronto are more talented than the Cavs? I don't. In Irving they probably have one of the better PGs in the conference. Varejão is in the running for DPOY and leads the league in rebounds. None of these four teams have standout players. Maybe Kemba Walker, but that's it. I'm not saying they are a playoff contender, but they're not the second worst team in the league either. This has nothing to do with the Knicks game - it's just that this was the first time I saw them this year (as they are never on national TV).

I would say they're all pretty comparable, and Cleveland certainly does not have "much better talent" than any of them. They all suck. Big time.

Sorry, I just had to respond to your post. It caught me by surprise. I never in a million years would have thought that anybody would pay a compliment to the 2012-2013 Cleveland Cavaliers...a team with a roster that literally made me vomit when I looked at it for the first time before the season started.

Back
Top Bottom