National Hockey League 2012-13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. But they need some vets to help out, and they are lacking that sorely right now. But the future pieces are looking good, agreed.

Agreed with the agreeing.

Sure, we have some promising kids but that aint gonna be enough, at least for now. This aint exactly Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Anderson, Kurri, Fuhr, etc, growing up together. But things do look brighter than they have for a while now.

Agreed with the agreeing.

Sure, we have some promising kids but that aint gonna be enough, at least for now. This aint exactly Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Anderson, Kurri, Fuhr, etc, growing up together. But things do look brighter than they have for a while now.

Thought I have accepted this season is going to be bad. I mean, I like Radek Martinek as much as the next guy, but did we really need him back? Is he going to help? Ugh.

Im curious as to why they aren't buying him out, that has to be the worst contract in the NHL curently, at least in terms of return... Do they need it to reach the cap floor?

I think this may be his last chance to prove he can stay healthy. If he makes it through this season in tact, I don't think they buy him out. If he goes down again, I'd say he's done. And in the end, the contract is not as atroucious as everyone makes it out to be. $60m over 15 years - too long? Yes, but he will be 40 when it ends, which isn't ancient for a goalie. It's straightforward, same amount each year. Not like the ridiculous Kovalchuck and Suter/Parise contracts. Had he been healthy, it wouldn't be such a joke.

Im curious as to why they aren't buying him out, that has to be the worst contract in the NHL curently, at least in terms of return... Do they need it to reach the cap floor?

Believe it or not, it's actually not that bad. He signed a 15 year deal for 67.5 million. That's about 4.5 million per year. The Islanders figured in the beginning of the contract he'd be overpaid, but by the end of the contract he'd be underpaid. Yes, he's definitely had his share of bad luck with injuries and inconsistent play, but the Islanders (and Charles Wang especially) feel that DP has plenty of good hockey left in him. He's 31 years old and still in his prime for a goalie. I think he's still got 8 seasons left on his deal. Right now, Nabokov is their No.1 goalie, but by next season DP could win it back. If DP doesn't show improvement within the next 2 seasons, I could see the Isles buying him out, though. I would think that Scott Gomez' deal with Montreal is worse. The guy is making 7 million and being told to stay home for the entire season and never return. I know Montreal didn't put together his deal, but they inherited it from the Rangers when they traded for him.

I grew up in same town as DiPietro, though he didn't attend/play for the local high school, he went to a private Catholic hockey factory school in Boston. Never met him, haven't lived there myself since 1998. Even with his early success and huge contract he's only the 2nd most famous hockey player from the town, trailing Mike Eruzione.
Would like to see him stay healthy and resurrect his career somewhat, but certainly doesn't appear likely given his history.

Apparently we are.

Watching Alexei Kovalev be the slowest player on the ice yet still be the 2nd most talented player out there (next to Huberdeau!!!) was amazing.

Huberdeau is getting that Calder if he stays healthy.

Man, I remember watching Kovalev his first time around with the hated Rangers....and even then, he was a slow skater but absolutely mesmerizing to watch with the puck.

Back
Top Bottom