National Hockey League 2012-13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The NHL's rfa system is rather odd if you ask me, everyone has too much honor or something to hand out offer sheets where as when you look at the NBA, its common practice. I can't say one way is better than the other but I would at least like to see a happy medium. I mean, last summer Steven Stamkos was sitting there in the last year of his entry level an no one takes a run at him? What the fuck is that about?

PhilsFan said:
Isn't that sort of what restricted free agency is?
No? Restricted free agency is to take awayleverage from younger players so they're not demanding massive contracts at young ages. Cap control. But you can't take away all of their leverage.

There's a level of respect that goes around. You don't offer one of the best defensers in the game an offer sheet if you know that the other team will match no matter what.

This is the reported breakdown of the contract, which is for $110 million.

2012-13
(age 27): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2013-14 (28): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2014-15 (29): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2015-16 (30): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2016-17 (31): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
2017-18 (32): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
2018-19 (33): $6 million salary
2019-20 (34): $6 million salary
2020-21 (35): $6 million salary
2021-22 (36): $6 million salary
2022-23 (37): $3 million salary
2023-24 (38): $1 million salary
2024-25 (39): $1 million salary
2025-26 (40): $1 million salary
TOTAL: $110 million
If that's not cap circumvention, I don't know what is.

They should have the final years of contracts be required to be a certain percentage of the first years, much like in the sense that an RFA is required a 105-110% increase in salary per yearly basis.

Not a surprise at all.

Now I hope you see why Paul Holmgren is an asshole. The Flyers get absolutely nothing out of this whatsoever, and never stood a chance at getting something out of it to begin with.

Wrong. I sincerely think the Flyers thought this offer would land them Weber. Why else would they have loaded up on the signing bonus?

Of course the Flyers thought they would have or they wouldn't have done it. 29 other GMs probably think otherwise. Every fan thinks otherwise. Why the Flyers thought they'd land it? Who knows. Stupid move. Asshole move. Everyone knows that when it comes to the best players in the league, the only way an offer sheet will ever make it through is if the 1st round picks are from awful teams. Otherwise, it's a total loss.

Now the Flyers have forced Nashville to lock up Weber, and if anything once the initial 1-year has passed they'll be forced to trade him (at a much higher value than 4 shitty Flyer 1sts).

Of course the Flyers thought they would have or they wouldn't have done it. 29 other GMs probably think otherwise. Every fan thinks otherwise. Why the Flyers thought they'd land it? Who knows. Stupid move. Asshole move. Everyone knows that when it comes to the best players in the league, the only way an offer sheet will ever make it through is if the 1st round picks are from awful teams. Otherwise, it's a total loss.

Now the Flyers have forced Nashville to lock up Weber, and if anything once the initial 1-year has passed they'll be forced to trade him (at a much higher value than 4 shitty Flyer 1sts).
But you just said the Flyers never had a chance of getting anything out of this. Wasn't the whole point that they thought they were going to be able to outbid Nashville for him? If so, then they did have a chance of getting something out of it.

This is not baseball. The Flyers are not the Yankees. This is a salary cap sport. The Flyers aren't throwing $200 million around and leaving the Preds in the dust like the Pittsburgh Pirates for the last twenty years.

The point of free agency, restricted or unrestricted, is to allow a player to test his market value. The Flyers tried to acquire him with an offer. You lock him up earlier than free agency or you run the risk of this happening. That's not the Flyers fault.

If someone offers Claude Giroux monster money when he becomes an RFA, that will be because Giroux is worth it. It's the Flyers' job to lock him up now or run that risk.

If the Flyers were only making this offer to make Nashville pay more, than it would probably be an asshole move. But if they are making the offer to acquire a great player at a position of need who was available because he's a goddamn free agent, then why is this a big deal? Either Nashville thinks he's worth it, or not. You don't get to cry poor in a salary cap sport. Only in baseball.

Some things in hockey just don't make much sense to me.

I think that, as opposed to the NBA, signing a player to an offer sheet is rarely done in the NHL. There's an unwritten rule that says you don't touch an RFA, even if the rules allow you to try, and most GMs adhere to that.

The Flyers have done it three times, and were successful once. Brian Burke still holds a grudge against Kevin Lowe for signing Dustin Penner away from Anaheim to a ridiculous contract, and that was 5 years ago.

But you just said the Flyers never had a chance of getting anything out of this. Wasn't the whole point that they thought they were going to be able to outbid Nashville for him? If so, then they did have a chance of getting something out of it.

This is not baseball. The Flyers are not the Yankees. This is a salary cap sport. The Flyers aren't throwing $200 million around and leaving the Preds in the dust like the Pittsburgh Pirates for the last twenty years.

The point of free agency, restricted or unrestricted, is to allow a player to test his market value. The Flyers tried to acquire him with an offer. You lock him up earlier than free agency or you run the risk of this happening. That's not the Flyers fault.

If someone offers Claude Giroux monster money when he becomes an RFA, that will be because Giroux is worth it. It's the Flyers' job to lock him up now or run that risk.

If the Flyers were only making this offer to make Nashville pay more, than it would probably be an asshole move. But if they are making the offer to acquire a great player at a position of need who was available because he's a goddamn free agent, then why is this a big deal? Either Nashville thinks he's worth it, or not. You don't get to cry poor in a salary cap sport. Only in baseball.

Some things in hockey just don't make much sense to me.

Well maybe you should learn about restricted free agency. The point of it, in the NHL, is so that teams preserve their younger players. The rules are set up so that teams will avoid signing offer sheets because the pick compensation is so high. Offer sheets only make sense for the best players, and for the best players, most GMs will turn down the pick compensation. Weber is one of the, if not the, best defenders in the league. Unless Nashville financially was incapable of finding that money, they will do everything they can to sign that contract.

All assumptions should have been that Nashville was going to match that contract. As BoMac said, it's an unwritten rule. Dick move. End of story.

I know the restricted free agency rules, I don't need to learn anything. I just don't know about all these mystical unwritten rules. If they don't want teams signing away restricted free agents, then fucking get rid of it. Otherwise, what the hell is the point?

For the Dustin Penner situations where the player is clearly expendable and if someone wants to overpay they can and it will costthem both a big contract and compensation picks. Come on, this makes perfect sense. You're not going to get Sidney Crosby on an offer sheet, you're just going to piss off the GM who is doin contract negotiations with Crosby.

You know, I never gave it any thought until Peef mentioned it, but it really doesn't make sense that restricted free agency is an available tool, yet it's almost never used because of some unwritten code.

So owners are asking for 57% to 46% cut for the player,free agent after 10 years,24% roll back and a cap of below 60 millions..among the "sacrifices" there're asking for the players.Like that's gonna fly well with Donald Fehr.....

A 3.3 billions industry last season and 700 players and 30 owners can't agree of how to divide the pie.As much as i've stand behind the owners on the last labor fight,this one i just can't.You just can't cry poor on one side of your mouth,and on the other side giving 2 13 years deal for 2 players worth 196 millions$.The owner of the Minnesota Wild should be ashame to be at the CBA table.

I still believe they'll reach a deal around U.S. thanksgiving and open the season on that lame winter classic.Because the league just can't have 2 seasons being cancelled over a period of 8 years.

It doesn't look like they gave up all that much for him, relatively speaking: Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon, and a first rounder are believed to be going the other way. Although I've seen comments that Erixon is a blue-chip defense prospect.

It doesn't look like they gave up all that much for him, relatively speaking: Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon, and a first rounder are believed to be going the other way. Although I've seen comments that Erixon is a blue-chip defense prospect.

Dubinsky is and always has been overrated. He's a middle-6 player. Anisimov... I guess is a bit better. Tim Erixson is far from blue-chip, more like just a good defensive prospect but a little whiny bitch. The 1st was a pick-swap if I've read correctly -- Columbus sent back their 2013 2nd round pick.

In short, Columbus got fleeced the fuck out of considering the huge over-payment 'expected'. A lot of teams could've matched or topped this. It boils down to simply thinking you're getting more than you really are. That return was awful.

Back
Top Bottom